X-Slacko-4.4 with Xfce

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

#1126 Post by Marv »

Mike Walsh wrote:Mornin', Marv.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll give it a go. Currently I'm restarting X every time it happens....which is a pain in the..... !!

Talking of which, what's going on here? Every time I boot into X-Tahr, my desktop icons are all 'arranged' over on the far left-hand side. I seem to recall XFCE in Xubuntu had an option to 'lock' the desktop.....but Pup doesn't appear to have it.

So what's the answer? X-Slacko 2.3.2 doesn't do this; I've never had the problem with it. I know it's an older version of XFCE, true, but even so.....

It's annoying!!!

Mike. :wink:
The pet also installs a .desktop , gvfsd_clean, which calls the kill script. Add it to a panel and it kills without restarting X. To disable the scheduled task once the pet is installed just use the boot manager>services to turn off crond. Or just copy and paste the .desktop and script from the pet.

Next time I boot into X-Tahr I'll look at the icons. I pretty much run with an empty desktop so I never thought about it.

Edit: Version 1.12 above uses file number and size tests, logs to gvfsd_log in /tmp, gives immediate mode (.desktop) over-ride precedence, and (I hope) uninstalls better to accomodate other crond tasks pre-existing in pups that have crond enabled while still installing the needed crond files in those pups that don't have them.

Edit: Booted into both X-Tahr 2.0 and X-slacko 4.2 as part of the work above and while there deliberately spewed my icons about on the desktop. Drives, folders, trash, and a launcher or two. Restarted X, rebooted, and the repositions stuck FOR A WHILE, then reverted to the left. So no help on that. Running bog standard Grub4Dos frugal install with smallish (256Mb) EXT2 savefiles. The icon positions are saved at root/.config/xfce4/desktop/, don't know where the call to use that is though. The odd thing is that I know they were still spewed for a time because I started writing this (Opera, fullscreen), then checked again and they had reverted. ???

Jim
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#1127 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Marv.

Well, your .pet is the mutt's nuts, mate. I installed it in X-Tahr yesterday, and haven't had a single instance of the CPU going bonkers since! Done quite a bit of file-transfer stuff in that time-frame (over the network, as well).....and everything's purring like a kitten. Smooth as so much oiled silk.

Nice one. Cheers! :D

----------------------------------------------------

As for the desktop icons; I gave 'em up as a bad job. I don't know what's going on there myself, but I've ended up using a second panel as a launcher bar. They seem to be behaving themselves on there..! :lol:

Marv

#1128 Post by Marv »

Thanks Mike, I've been using it on all my laptops now and haven't had any runaways either. Since it logs, and I've been flogging several of the machines installing new printers and putting a newer laptop in service in place of one of the Pentium Ms, I have a better idea how the load builds and have an alternate script that is even more selective. It checks for time since file creation (modification actually) in both the cache and gvfs directory and uses that information as well as size to decide when to kill/clean. The immediate mode still exists from the .desktop. No changes at all to the structure of the 1.12 pet, just the gvsd_kill.sh script in /usr/sbin. I'll gzip just the script and attach it below for a look-see. I think it's pretty self explanatory.
Attachments
gvfsd_kill.sh.gz
gzipped latest /usr/sbin/gvsd_kill.sh script, misplaced double quote in next to last line... fixed
(482 Bytes) Downloaded 166 times
Last edited by Marv on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Mike Walsh

#1129 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Marv.

Thanks for that. I'm in 571 at the moment, but I'll do the swap in X-Tahr later today, and see how it goes. I'll keep you updated along the way.

Cheers.

Marv

#1130 Post by Marv »

Fixed a misplaced " in the kill file 2 posts up, next to last line. Re-uploaded, sorry. Happened when I added cache info to the logfile.

Mike Walsh

#1131 Post by Mike Walsh »

Re-downloaded, extracted & replaced.

Cheers.

mistfire

#1132 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 I try convert X-Slacko to network bootable placing SFS file inside the initrd.gz when it boot to network by PXE it fails to load SFS in ram causing kernel panic.

Rodney Byne

Link PrtSc key to TAS-1.9

#1133 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi to all.

Can someone advise me how I may be able
to link the PrtSc key on my laptop, to automatically
open Take-a-Shot TAS-1.9?
Thanks in advance.

Geoffrey

#1134 Post by Geoffrey »

Rodney, in the xfce control panel select keyboard > Application Shortcuts > Add, select a application and you will be prompted to select a key, it's like that in X-Tahr pretty sure the same in X-Slacko.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Rodney Byne

Re PrtSc

#1135 Post by Rodney Byne »

Thank you Geoffrey,
For your clear instructions, so Ctrl-PrtSc was the link answer
to pull up TaS, as I wanted to capture full-screen camera views
from the ISS in this example today below.
It looks as if the pink-topped clouds while flying over nth Africa
was a Saharan sand storm.
Best regards.
Attachments
Resized ISS_2017-06-02_16.17.33.jpg
(46.22 KiB) Downloaded 504 times

rg66

#1136 Post by rg66 »

I've uploaded a couple of sfs's to the repo. vlc-2.2.6-i486-1alien.sfs and wxHexEditor-0.23.sfs. Get them here: http://www.smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/sfs/

After a very long break, I am working on X-Slacko again. v4.3 should be out sometime in the not so distant future and will most likely be the last of the 4 series.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

#1137 Post by Marv »

Hi rg66, most happy to hear from you.

Jim

belham2

#1138 Post by belham2 »

Marv wrote:Hi rg66, most happy to hear from you.
+1

Actually am kind of excited 'RG-the-XFCE-master" :wink: is back in the puppy house and going to be doing a new release . Between Battleshooters' still excellent Carolina Vanguard and Geoffrey's great X-Tahr-2.0 (for all our family photo/video work), RG66 completes the triumvirate that brings us that XFCE-goodness and project-stability. (Mistfire & his X-Slacko-Slim is almost there to make it a quartet, but only if Slim's Xorg problems could get worked out).

So welcome back rg66! Can't wait till the new release :)

rg66

#1139 Post by rg66 »

Just for something to do I made a recently used files app. You can select multiple entries and it seems to handle white spaces. Rec_used-1.1.pet can be downloaded here http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/pet_p ... -X-slacko/
Menu entry is in office.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(20.05 KiB) Downloaded 500 times

rg66

#1140 Post by rg66 »

I've uploaded opera-stable_45.0.2552.898_i386.sfs and palemoon-27.3.0.sfs to the repo. Get them here: http://smokey01.com/rg66/X-slacko/sfs/

rg66

#1141 Post by rg66 »

Since Firefox-52.9.0esr is most likely the end of the line, I've been trying palemoon and opera to find a replacement. Palemoon is OK but seems a bit buggy, Opera looks good but haven't been using it long. Any thoughts for the next X-slacko as the default browser?

zagreb999

browser

#1142 Post by zagreb999 »

regards rg66
this one is perfect

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firefox-nightly/

ps. you can take xfce 4.13
it is stable

thanks

Marv

#1143 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:Since Firefox-52.9.0esr is most likely the end of the line, I've been trying palemoon and opera to find a replacement. Palemoon is OK but seems a bit buggy, Opera looks good but haven't been using it long. Any thoughts for the next X-slacko as the default browser?
I'm a firm Slimjet convert at this point after dabbling in pretty much everything that is out there. Running OscarTalks 32 bit SFS's on everything from X-Slacko 4.2 through LxPupSc 17.07.25. I've used pretty much every version from 13.0.3.0 (IIRC) up to 15.0.3.0. A SFS/symlinked external profile scheme is totally easy to update, keeps the pupspace clean, and I like the chromium universality with a look and feel a bit more like the olden golden Opera days.

That said, browsers are a hot-button topic and I'm all for a minimal one shipped with the system and users choice once up and running. Will the next X-Slacko adrive? Having the browser and a few other contentious items like Abiword in an easily disabled adrive seems clean from both a maintenance and user configurability standpoint. Whew!

rg66

#1144 Post by rg66 »

Hey Marv, long time.

Haven't tried SlimJet yet, will maybe have a look tomorrow. The reason I'm looking for a new browser is this will most likely be the last of the v4 series and want a bit of longevity. FF for gtk2 is over at 45.9.0esr, just found out Opera isn't supporting 32bit as of 46.x. Am currently leaning toward Palemoon, it also has an updater.

As far as Adrive's go, I'm a big fan. But, as this is the last 4.x, I won't be adding new features to this release. Also, if the Adrive is to be done right, as per Jemimah's Saluki, scripts need to be changed so PPM knows what's installed.

Moat

#1145 Post by Moat »

rg66 wrote: Palemoon is OK but seems a bit buggy
Hi rg66 - has this observed "bugginess" been with the latest Palemoon version 27.4.0? It's been very solid/stable for me over the last few days of using. FWIW...

Bob