Simple and reliable way of accessing network shares.

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
ETP

#1 Post by ETP »

My own Chromecast dongle mainly finds use in conjunction with Videostream to access an audio share on my XP box and a video share on my Win 8.1 box.
In December I investigated a variety of ways of creating and accessing those shares plus
Linux shares as both boxes also run a number of Pups together with Mint 17.1 on the XP box and Manjaro k18.3 on the Win 8.1 box. The dongle is moved between the TV & Hi Fi system.

Most of the methods worked but all were sometimes flakey. The final solution is detailed here and the items to be installed only total 1 MB: (It was tested firstly with ChromeCast Pup V1& subsequently with V2)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Crucial to this method is the use of reserved DHCP.
Using that any box always receives the same pre-determined IP address regardless of the OS that happens to be running on it but there is no need to configure any of your OSs with a true static IP as they still use DHCP.
It is an old fashioned technique that has stood the test of time.

In the context of a small home network, it seems crazy to be using unreliable methods to search for:
Servers.
Shares.
Share lists.
Using this method the I/P addresses and share names are preset. Given that we know the I/P addresses, the server names are not needed for access.

For ChromeCast Pup V2 cifs-utils plus all its dependencies must be installed as follows:
  • libtalloc2_2.1.0-1|libtalloc2|2.1.0-1||BuildingBlock|85K|

debconf_1.5.53ubuntu1|debconf|1.5.53ubuntu1||Setup|609K|

libwbclient0_4.1.11+dfsg|libwbclient0|4.1.11+dfsg|1ubuntu2.1|Network;utility|190K|

samba-common_4.1.11+dfsg|samba-common|4.1.11+dfsg|1ubuntu2.1|Network;utility|644K|

ucf_3.0030|ucf|3.0030||BuildingBlock|229K|

cifs-utils_6.0|cifs-utils|6.0|1ubuntu2|Filesystem;filemanager|243K|
In addition with a wireless netbook which is slow to acquire its IP, an executable script containing the following must be placed in the Startup folder.

Code: Select all

# mountavailableshares ETP Feb 2015
sleep 20
mount -a &
Creation of and access to Linux shares.

For creation I finally came down in favour of using Pure-FTPd.
There are numerous reasons for so doing including:

1. It is simple, robust and included in all Pups. (Just needs a change of icon & placing on desktop-see 2015 slides)

2. It allows access to the share via the browser from any OS without needing the server or share names.

3. Simple to create bookmarks for all preset IP addresses. (eg ftp://192.168.1.2)

4. When the default root access is selected the user name and password
(root / woofwoof) can be saved within the browser.

5. The bookmarks will work regardless of which Pup is running the ftp server.

6. No conf files of any type needed.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

This approach has turned into a great Home system as it now affords this PUP to control it content and make it available thru devices which are now populating our LAN. 3 years ago, we saw the rise of USB cameras, then webcams (LAN) over time, here in Puppyland. This goes further.

This is an equally progressive achievement in PUPPY Linux doing functional things other than just going to the internet on our home LANs. This is a great controller of any content we have for useful purposes and it participates with others on the home LAN for personal needs with an eye on management of our content.

Thanks you very much for this additional, great, "emphasis" project you have given us over the years!

Looking forward...