Boot Precise Puppy from USB on 2009 iMac

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
cimarron

#16 Post by cimarron »

On second thought (and re-reading this thread), I think I might try Les Kerf's second method instead. I'm more familiar and comfortable with Grub4dos and it sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to make a USB that would boot on both PC and Mac.

Even if the method is less convenient, I feel better when I understand more of what's going on...

Les Kerf

#17 Post by Les Kerf »

gcmartin wrote:...

I have 2 questions for those who have Intel Macs to ponder
  1. Isn't your processor an Intel 64bit one. I am not a Mac specilist, but, my cohort suggest that those with Intel Macs are the 64bit variety.
  2. Can the MAC's OS exist on a USB? He suggests that it can.
@Ted Dog's simple presentation of his solution for EFI/UEFI PCs would seemingly work on non-UEFI systems, UEFI systems, and EFI systems; assuming proper deployment...
1. Yes, mine is an Intel 64 bit processor.
2. I have found documentation on the web that details how to boot an Intel mac with OSX loaded on a USB drive. I have not attempted to do this.

Les Kerf

#18 Post by Les Kerf »

cimarron wrote:On second thought (and re-reading this thread), I think I might try Les Kerf's second method instead. I'm more familiar and comfortable with Grub4dos and it sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to make a USB that would boot on both PC and Mac.

Even if the method is less convenient, I feel better when I understand more of what's going on...
:D I'm pretty sure that I don't understand what's going on! :oops:

My method is just a dirty hack that I stumbled onto by trying many things that DIDN'T work. But it does work on all of the machines I have tried thus far; I just haven't had access to any UEFI PC machines to try.
Good luck!
Les