Firefox 17.0.8 - no obvious built in PDF reader

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
hake

Firefox 17.0.8 - no obvious built in PDF reader

#1 Post by hake »

Slacko 5.5 included Firefox 19 which came with a built in PDF reader which simply worked without any need for the user to enable it.

Slacko 5.6 includes Firefox 17.0.8 which appears to lack a built in PDF reader and I have been unable to track down an add-on PDF reader.

This is important to me. I have chosen to continue with Slacko 5.5 as a consequence until I can add a PDF reader or discover the trick for making a built in one work.

An apology - I am a new forum user. I first posted this to Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) which I realise is inappropriate. Perhaps a moderator could delete it from that section.

:(

rcrsn51

Re: Firefox 17.0.8 - no obvious built in PDF reader

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

hake wrote:Slacko 5.6 includes Firefox 17.0.8 which appears to lack a built in PDF reader and I have been unable to track down an add-on PDF reader.
In Slacko 5.6, if I click on a link to a PDF file, I get a box that says "Open with epdfview (default)" and "Do this automatically".

Is that not good enough?

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

Acrobat Reader from lucid should work in slacko, too.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... -Lucid.sfs

It has the plugin for browsers. As alternative it is easy to install in slacko 5.6 the latest firefox. Search in the How To section of this forum.

hake

#4 Post by hake »

To rcrsn51: thank you for drawing my attention to that. It wasn't exactly staring me in the face. I was a bit surprised that Firefox 17.0.8 did not behave as Firefox 19 which simply displays the PDF without any extra action whatsoever required from the user.

I've got quite a bit to learn outside my Windows XP comfort zone.

:)

hake

#5 Post by hake »

To watchdog: thank you for that helpful information.

:)