Rewards are available if you have creative ideas.

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
jamesbond

#16 Post by jamesbond »

mavrothal wrote:So, to keep with the programming section, would it possible to write a php (or something) script that would move threads that have more than 2 posts/page from gcmartin and Q5sys to the "entertainment" section? :shock:
Mav, I will have to disagree with you here.

Posts from Q5sys are often well-thought, well-researched, well-laid out and presented, and most importantly backed-up with facts and references --- I'm sure Q5sys spent considerable effort for preparing them --- even if the original topic or post that he was responding too was vague or ridiculous.

It would be a *big loss* if posts of these qualities are quarantined or hidden, just because gcmartin always tries to ridicule or belittle him - I for one never see him "derail" a thread, all his posts are almost always on-topic (in gcmartin's threads or in other people's threads too), so such claims, for me, is ridiculous - especially when the one making the claim cannot provide the proofs.
Q5sys: Please let things go sometimes. If something is really inappropriate I'm sure that someone else from the 20000 forum members, will pick it up and respond. If not means that is not really important, so why bother?

I think Q5sys is doing a public service by straightening out claims, and trying to put some sense to it. Many would probably won't bother (myself included) - because some of us can see through them straightaway. But there are also many who won't or can't, and this forum for the better or worse "represents" Puppy Linux to the rest of the world, so it's a good service that Q5sys slices and breaks down the ideas and analyse and question them with great details --- constantly reminding us to be critical of "the idea" being presented (instead of swallowing them unchecked just because the poster has a high-post count).

This particular thread isn't a good example since the topic is trivial (and even wrong to begin with, it has *nothing* to do with programming *whatsoever*); but there are other threads that are (and for whatever reason, some of those threads were deleted - just because somebody disagrees with it - even though they contain useful information) - e.g. the "Touch" thread.

As for me, I would be happy to have someone whose real-life profession is IT Security Consultant to provide his opinions on various subjects here. He may not have the 25/35/40 years of experience that gcmartin claims to have, but so far I know that I can disagree with him, and argue with him based on logic and facts rather than dropping down to shaming and name calling because one doesn't like my argument.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

mavrothal

#17 Post by mavrothal »

Jamesbond,
after 20-30 incidences, I doubt people pay attention to the actual content and arguments. And those who do usually have (can form) an opinion on the subject even without them.
Regarding the forum members involved, after 3000 and 1000 post respectively people have some opinion about who is who and what is what. Newcomers will find out soon too.

Now, if you look at page views, single posts get ~100 views half of them by bots.
If you open a discussion you go to thousands. If from these thousands 5% gets the "wrong idea" you have done more harm than good (and that's assuming that all views of the original "went" with the post).
So, if you think that something is wrong/stupid/silly/misplaced etc (but not too damaging or offensive to demand a response) the most effective way to minimize its impact is just to ignore it!

...I think...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

cimarron

#18 Post by cimarron »

gcmartin and Q5sys, can't you see that you're in love with each other?

jpeps

#19 Post by jpeps »

jamesbond wrote:
I think Q5sys is doing a public service by straightening out claims, and trying to put some sense to it.
I think Q5sys was correct about the topic being more suited to off topic conversations. However, there are better ways of handling ongoing disputes than posting lengthy personal defenses while continuing to provide critiques ( in this case, a sarcastic critique). gcmartin has his own style of posting, and references some interesting articles regarding new developments. This particular article wasn't one of my favorites, but I can let it go at that. The moderator can place it in a more appropriate category if desired.

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

It's interesting that technology has advanced to the point where a couple of adolescent tit-heads can program an app that lets guys perv at chicks.

If programming an app has become that easy then it has to be a good thing surely?

Q5sys

#21 Post by Q5sys »

jpeps wrote:
jamesbond wrote:
I think Q5sys is doing a public service by straightening out claims, and trying to put some sense to it.
I think Q5sys was correct about the topic being more suited to off topic conversations. However, there are better ways of handling ongoing disputes than posting lengthy personal defenses while continuing to provide critiques ( in this case, a sarcastic critique). gcmartin has his own style of posting, and references some interesting articles regarding new developments. This particular article wasn't one of my favorites, but I can let it go at that. The moderator can place it in a more appropriate category if desired.
I would love to just be able to discuss the merits of the topic of a thread (any thread in particular). However if everytime I try to discuss a topic people are allowed to make personal attacks - I'm going to defend myself. I would appreciate it if personal attacks were not allowed on this forum, but apparently they are allowed to continue; I don't think I'm in the wrong to address the lies that are being said about me.

Yes my first comment this time was a bit sarcastic, because I'm tired and annoyed at misplaced threads. (Similar to the post about BSD under PuppyLinux Annoncements a while ago.) Threads not about Puppy Linux need to stay in off-Topic, so they don't spam up the rest of the forum. I don't think that's too much to ask; but hey... maybe I'm wrong in that.

Jamesbond,
Thanks for your kind words.

gcmartin

#22 Post by gcmartin »

JamesBond, no offense, I beg to differ.

I have never said that much of what I've seen from Q5Sys is not good information. Much is.

But, what occurs is NOT his good information, its his consistent behavior since he became p**ssed off that his derailing of a thread was asked for removal by the OP. Since then, he has made it a personal point of his to make every attempt to derail everything he sees that is OP'd by me.

To ignore this fact and to suggest that since he makes contributions elsewhere in a rather outlandish claim, by you.

It is hoped that you find this not as a criticism of you, but, rather some opening of the eyes of the behavior we see.

Attempts to distract/derail has been consistent ever since. Yet, Q5sys sheepishly approaches us with he is "being attacked" (as if there is no reason). Attempts to continue to derail is not a good reason when he finds information that he, personally, can find reason to discount contributions. :wink:

This thread is again, one of those that is, in my opinion, "derailed". Instead of us sharing (or not) about Puppy development opportunities, it has become "mired".

BTW, the gentlemen that are mentioned in the article that opened are developers from Australia as far as I know. And, I agree that their idea was misguided, but, the theme remains that given an idea, the ability to express a contribution, and good development skills, anyone can get the perks and listeners.

I hope this post is met with the best of intentions and with understanding.

There is no requirement of any of us to be a developer to assist and try to help with whatever ideas that we think members will find useful and helpful. This thread was one of those.

Cheers

Karl Godt

#23 Post by Karl Godt »

Me hates everyone , but gcMartin : This time you shot the bird !

Wrong section , misleading introduction by yours , and kind of hard on the border to violate the forum's policy .

Flash should ban you for a week !

For that :
TechCrunch forced to apologise over Sydney duo's 'Titstare' app
The organisers of a Silicon Valley technology conference have been forced to apologise after two Australian men pitched a smartphone app called "Titstare" in front of an audience that included a nine-year-old girl.
and about
Is the app store gold rush over?
Yes it's true :
C4 live sex show is 'gimmick' says relationship expert

And I expect even more to come .

Solution : WWIII with overall destruction everywhere, so people have more important things to do .

gcmartin

#24 Post by gcmartin »

I did NOT praise the material they presented.

I praised the ability of a group of developers who proposed and got a spot on a regarded venue.

I never once positioned, nor took a position on the topic.

Many may not like or want to understand the irony of this. Many want to vocalized opposition to their material. But, idea presented here before the twists started is if you are a developer and you are regarded in your skills/trade well enough, there is opportunity available all around us.

So, let's stop trying to twist this thread into my taking some position that I haven't and redirecting its intention.
There are many other examples, abound, which are also indicative of innovations among developers where their topics are NOT attracting this kind of attention. "The irony of it all".

FYI

jpeps

#25 Post by jpeps »

Karl Godt wrote:
And I expect even more to come .
I expect many will see this a positive thing, a breakthrough in freedom of expression and increased job opportunities in the entertainment industry.
Likewise gcmartin apparently read the posted article as an example of new opportunities for young developers (development?).
but, the theme remains that given an idea, the ability to express a contribution, and good development skills, anyone can get the perks and listeners.
maybe "pervs and listeners" ?

Karl Godt

#26 Post by Karl Godt »

Martin, you are a charlatan :
First your outcry about the Zimmerman case ,
now you support Sodom and Gomorrah .

I really think that there would have been other reverences for winning awards in programming online .
http://www.sigplan.org/Awards/Software/Main
2013: The Coq proof assistant
The Coq proof assistant provides a rich environment for interactive development of machine-checked formal reasoning.
2012: Jikes Research Virtual Machine (RVM)

The SIGPLAN Software Award for 2012 goes to the Jikes Research Virtual Machine (RVM), an open-source virtual computer implemented in the Java programming language, and capable of running programs written in Java and many other languages that compile to JVM bytecodes.
http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2013/09/108906 ... ng-project
One of UC San Francisco’s newest faculty members is receiving the National Science Foundation’s Expeditions in Computing award as part of a multi-investigator team working to establish solid foundations for molecular programming.

The foundation on Sept. 17 announced awards – each totaling $10 million over five years – for two projects that seek to define the future of computing and information. Since the foundation’s Directorate for Computer and Information Science and Engineering (CISE) launched the award in 2008, a total of 16 projects have received funding.
Such are more suitable to Brainstorm in the forum - and not to righteously upset people , so that they start to wish you pestilence into your throat
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

jpeps

#27 Post by jpeps »

Karl Godt wrote:Martin, you are a charlatan :
First your outcry about the Zimmerman case ,
now you support Sodom and Gomorrah .
I recall this one member who started an entire thread on the joys of alcoholism, which apparently he fervently continues to support and encourage. There is room on a public forum for differing points of view.
The SIGPLAN Software Award for 2012 goes to the Jikes Research Virtual Machine (RVM), an open-source virtual computer implemented in the Java programming language, and capable of running programs written in Java and many other languages that compile to JVM bytecodes.
Writing code that works on everything is becoming essential. I recently started adding dropbox export functions to my own android apps.

BTW/ regarding Zimmerman and Florida "stand your ground laws."
Florida just happens to be the state with the highest rate of mob lynchings between the civil war up until the civil right's movement in the 60's. Thousands would routinely show up to watch the torture and hanging of a black person who often was completely innocent. This went on over decades, in some periods on an almost daily basis. Law enforcement would do nothing or more frequently join the festivities.

Reference:
"The Warmth of Other Suns", Isabel Wilkerson

Karl Godt

#28 Post by Karl Godt »

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV
I cannot find anything about alcohol searching for "Sodom and Gomorrah" in the Bible !

Peter is Balder is Gad is Kephas :
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=ESV
[quote]33 But turning and seeing his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan! For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.

Bruce B

Re: Rewards are available if you have creative ideas.

#29 Post by Bruce B »

This is what Q5sys actually wrote which purportedly caused the train wreck.
Q5sys wrote:I'm so glad this ended up in the 'Programming' section of this forum. An article on Sexism in the Tech sector fits so well along side all the Programming talk in this sub-forum.

Perhaps this would be better under "Truly off-topic conversations".
To which gcmartin replied.
gcmartin wrote:@Q5sys, my lusty friend, you really don't get it? I wont even try to explain "innovation" to you. ... Nor "irony". ... nor ...Oh, why bother with you. You dont get it. :lol:

Just another of your opportunities to DERAIL
I would like to say, I don't see where Q5sys even pulled any spikes out of the tracks, let alone derailed the whole damn train.

And if a derailing actually occurred, which it may have, I don't think the chronological record reflects that Q5sys did it.

~

jpeps

Re: Rewards are available if you have creative ideas.

#30 Post by jpeps »

Bruce B wrote:
I would like to say, I don't see where Q5sys even pulled any spikes out of the tracks, let alone derailed the whole damn train.

~
The train has already left the station

tlchost

#31 Post by tlchost »

Of course it may remove some of the fun...but if one does not feed the trolls, they sometimes move their location to another bridge.

Bruce B

#32 Post by Bruce B »

tlchost wrote:Of course it may remove some of the fun...but if one does not feed the trolls, they sometimes move their location to another bridge.
I thought gcmartin claiming his topic was derailed by Q5sys was a little over the top. But your feeding the trolls comment, makes gcmartin look to me as if his feet are firmly on the ground.

Here is a list of everyone who has contributed on this topic. The list includes tenure and total number of posts.

gcmartin

Ted Dog

Q5sys

James C

mavrothal

cimarron

greengeek

Karl Godt

jpeps

Bruce B

tlchost

I hope this list makes it easier for Flash to locate the [purported] trolls and delete them.

~