'Why Linux sucks - except Puppy!' Everyone please read!

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Krishnamurti Naskar

'Why Linux sucks - except Puppy!' Everyone please read!

#1 Post by Krishnamurti Naskar »

https://sites.google.com/site/whylinuxsux/

read the whole stuff. :P :lol: :shock: [/url]

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Sounds like a rant to me :P I'm guessing somebody needed to blow off steam. Also, lots of exclamation points and SHOUTING ON THE INTERNET is generally perceived as immature and rude (at best). Just FYI.

BTW, I hear some versions of Puppy come with Samba (server stuff) and at least one Pup is a dedicated server... but only for music over a LAN (mpdpup). TBH probably 80-90% of what Puppy comes with is "just right" for 80-90% of users.

I'm sorry you have issues with the way we work. Feel free to submit bug reports where things are genuinely broken -- or even roll your own distro that does what you want it to, the way you want it to. That second bit (build a distro) sounds like what you want to do anyways ;)

Remember -- Microsoft and Apple don't let you do anything they don't pre-approve. It's their stuff (legally and otherwise) and to their last greedy collective corporate breath it will stay that way. You never really even own a copy of Windows -- you just get MS' permission to use it -- and it's MS that tells you when you can and cannot use it, and how, and why. (I've heard some debate about stuff made in MS Word -- specifically, debate as to who owns that stuff, MS or the writer :shock: ) Same story with Apple except it's hardware as well as software.

Linux lets you own your stuff (within very reasonable limits and decide (again, within limits) what you want to do with it. You can even create new Linuxes (Linuces?) if you want to. That's what Linux is all about, Charlie Brown! ;)

jpeps

#3 Post by jpeps »

I suspect that if linux desktop had become a widely adapted commercial product, the standardization would have occurred. Note the changes that Android OS is currently undergoing at Google to make it user friendly. Founding developers (Hugo Barra, Andy Rubin, etc)..and members of the exclusive club..are being replaced by very bright developers well versed in other areas of compatible software. An issues is willingness of users to pay for software.

A certain degree of geek-factor can protect an OS from commercial use..thus diminishing appeal for exploitation.