Classicpup Problem

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
samira

Classicpup Problem

#1 Post by samira »

Hello, I'm new and I'm having some problems with Classicpup. So far I've downloaded other Puppies like 4.31, Slacko 5.28, LXPup 12.12 and it works amazing. Few days back I saw Classicpup 2.14X, so I downloaded and burnt a cd. Problem here is on my laptop (an ASUS A9RP), XVesa works but XOrg fails to run. The lcd turns blank and sometimes grey and the whole thing freezes.

So I installed 2.14x on a USB Flash drive, and run in on my pc (celeron d 2.4 ghz cpu, 256 mb ram) instead. It boots up to the xserver selector, if i choose xvesa, it turns blank but i can see that my lcd is switched on. If i choose xorg, it says it can't autodetect my hardware, so i have to choose the resolutions. When i select it, my input is not recognized and it prompts me to choose my resolution again. And i cant even access the xerrs.log to see if anything wrong.

And on both laptop and pc, my huawei E1762 usb modem is not detected. That's not such as major issue as the xserver. And I'm having a tough time trying to find resources to go about fixing this issue. Hope that someone can advise me on what to do. Cheers!

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Hmm web says # Graphics Processor ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

The Xorg in 2.14x is quite old and support would be uncertain for that card. There is possibly a proprietary driver for it so one to look out for.
If you want older/lighter then puppy 4.12 or 4.21 might be worth a look too.

ttuuxxx was the main bunny for 2.14x so he might be the one to ask if your post is not spotted.

mike

samira

Classicpup Problem

#3 Post by samira »

Hi mikeb, thanks for your reply. I was suspecting that too.. But the puzzling thing here is xvesa gets me up to 1024x768 with 24 bit color display, but it can't even load xorg. My pc well it's worse of..and the fact is I upgraded my pc in 2006 before purchasing my laptop.. Can I some how get a newer version of xorg and install it in 2.14x. I'm planning to use something lean and fast for my pc since my laptop can easily run lxpup without much hassle..and as a replacement for win xp. Any ideas?

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Well I do remember getting similar problems on a similar ati mobile video.

I think seriously 4.12 might be the oldest that will behave without major messing ... it will show if xorg 7.3 works for you (2.14x has 7.0 I believe) The proprietry driver is still a good idea even if video works.

You will also find better support for the modem too.

There will be only a minimal difference in performance.

mike

samira

#5 Post by samira »

True mikeb, when i was using puppy 4.31, i've never had these such problems. Regarding 4.21, haven't tried plain puppy but had a copy of LegacyOS but it didn't manage to detect my modem. But my intention is to have an older version of puppy (something below v4 to keep it light yet still able to detect my hardware without any hiccups and noticed that 2.14x is an older variant but updated), yet still smart looking & easy to use as i plan to let my 10 year old nephew to use this pc for his online classes. :?
On the other hand, I've tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu in 2007 but it's a little heavy on my laptop, and DSL, well it hasn't been updated in quite a while.
Maybe i'll just have to keep trying all those other puppys..

samira

Classicpup Problem

#6 Post by samira »

samira wrote:True mikeb, when i was using puppy 4.31, i've never had these such problems. Regarding 4.21, haven't tried plain puppy but had a copy of LegacyOS but it didn't manage to detect my modem. But my intention is to have an older version of puppy (something below v4 to keep it light yet still able to detect my hardware without any hiccups and noticed that 2.14x is an older variant but updated), yet still smart looking & easy to use as i plan to let my 10 year old nephew to use this pc for his online classes. :?
On the other hand, I've tried Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu in 2007 but it's a little heavy on my laptop, and DSL, well it hasn't been updated in quite a while.
Maybe i'll just have to keep trying all those other puppys..
Hi all,
I tried downloading xorg 7.3 full and xvesa 7.3.1 and tried running it, however i'm still having the same problems on my laptop. I'm quite puzzled by this. Puppy has never acted this way before.. :(

Karl Godt

#7 Post by Karl Godt »

Can not say anything except if intel graphics it could work fine .

Cannot believe that Xvesa works better for you !!

On my current hardware I use i810 and vesa Xorg driver for

Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller

and that looks better than intel_drv.so with Lupu or above .

bash-3.00# head /tmp/xwin/Xerrs.2.6.30.9-KRG-i486-compiled-AcerLaptop-rev1.05Sep2013.Xorg.log.16\:38\:26
X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: UNKNOWN
Current Operating System: Linux puppypc 2.6.30.9-KRG-i486-compiled-AcerLaptop-rev1 #2 SMP Wed Jan 12 21:13:28 GMT-8 2011 i686
Build Date: 28 November 2007
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.

samira

Classicpup Problem

#8 Post by samira »

Karl, I'm just clueless on what to do. I haven't had this problem wth puppy 4.3 and slacko 5.3.3..

Karl Godt

#9 Post by Karl Godt »

On my current intel machine I had to disable all intel kernel graphics drivers .

Code: Select all

lsmod  | grep -E 'i915|fb|agp|vga|i2c'
shows just i2c_i801.

That involved creating several blacklist.conf in /etc/modprobe.d and add
alias modprobe='modprobe -b'
into xorgwizard, xwin, rc.sysinit , /etc/profile , pup_event_backend_modprobe
scripts to prevent the loading of these . Otherwise I get black screen too .

But that is for intel Broadwater - and a ATI card I never had owned so far .

samira

Classicpup Problem

#10 Post by samira »

Dear all,
managed to get the xorg 7.3 full drivers pet package. But there's not much improvement either. Seems that it freezes, displaying a white screen, with grey patches. Also I find that the ppm cant install some packages. Plus mut2 & pmount seems to take forever to load. This issues seem to happen when i boot without the 'acpi=off, apm=on' parameter.

clarf

Re: Classicpup Problem

#11 Post by clarf »

samira wrote:Dear all,
Plus mut2 & pmount seems to take forever to load. This issues seem to happen when i boot without the 'acpi=off, apm=on' parameter.
Hi samira,

Classicpup use an old kernel version, It could have problems related to the detection system for new hardware that cause the slowdown of the boot or the slow load of FS managers like mut2 or Pmount. I had problems using Classicpup with a Vostro system and I also had to use the "acpi=off" mode (you can check the thread here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70369)

In your case try to upgrade the kernel version to one used on the other Puppies executing in the same system.

Regards,
clarf

samira

Classicpup Problem

#12 Post by samira »

Hi clarf,
Thanks for the reply. I find that puppy 4.3 works better. For updating the kernel, should i compile a new kernel from scratch, or just switch the 2.14x kernel with the 4.30 kernel? I did see a post on switching the kernels somewhere here.

samira

Classicpup Problem

#13 Post by samira »

P/S: Should this thread be moved to the main classicpup 2.14x thread?

samira

Re: Classicpup Problem

#14 Post by samira »

samira wrote:Dear all,
managed to get the xorg 7.3 full drivers pet package. But there's not much improvement either. Seems that it freezes, displaying a white screen, with grey patches. Also I find that the ppm cant install some packages. Plus mut2 & pmount seems to take forever to load. This issues seem to happen when i boot without the 'acpi=off, apm=on' parameter.
update: this issue with xorg freezing when doing the display mode test doesn't happen if I press ctrl+alt+backspace during the test, then start my wm using xwin / startx.. still wondering if I can use the kernel from 4.3 as a replacement for the older kernel. would like to be able to use my huawei 3g usb modem for surfing the net. classicpup doesn't seem to be able to recognize a usb modem.