How Can I Make A Setting Default Before Burning A Live CD?

Booting, installing, newbie
arseh2

How Can I Make A Setting Default Before Burning A Live CD?

#1 Post by arseh2 »

There is not Turkish keyboard setting in the Puppy Linux. Only I found that there is Advanced keyboard settings and it is for Xorg users (why?) . I have to select it and I have to restart from Restart X - and this is a double hassle for a Live CD - I already boot once for a live CD - why again? Is there any way to make Turkish language default - in a virtual machine or somewhere else - if it writes, of course, making setting in booted live CD not in a Windows environment is preferable. I will use this as a live CD and would like to use Turkish Keyboard.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If I understand correctly how you want to use Puppy, there are two ways: remaster the Puppy iso then burn a CD with the remastered iso, or run Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD. I've never remastered so I can't say for sure, but I think it could take a few tries before you get it to work. To run Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD requires that Puppy be booted from a CD or DVD burner, at least to set it up. After you've got the Turkish keyboard working and saved that session on the multisession CD or DVD, I think the multisession disk will boot in a computer that doesn't have a burner, and your Turkish keyboard will be working.

Whether you decide to try remastering or multisession, use a rewritable CD or DVD if you have one, to minimize waste as you perfect your technique, then switch to -R after you get it working the way you want.

My advice is to use multisession if the computer you'll be using has a burner. DVD works better than CD for multisession, but both have worked reliably for me.

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

Look into /usr/local/bin/XkbConfigManager , how it does set the keyboard .
It is the setxkbmap command that does it for the current session .

The writing into xorg.conf is not that bright idea , I agree .

http://macpup.org/downloads/Macpup_550.iso
has the feature added to xkbconfigmanager , that it writes setxkbmap also into /root/.xinitrc and /root/Startup ;
just so you can see how it works ( also creates /tmp/Xkb.cmds file )

Note : Make sure adjustments in /root and /etc flush into the remaster .