Rfkill doesn't hardblock my wifi (Solved)

yosi666

Rfkill doesn't hardblock my wifi (Solved)

#1 Post by yosi666 »

Hi everybody!
I have almost everything configured in my Asus EeePc 1015 Px with Slacko 5.5 (Full install). And I have to say that I love it! It flies!
But there is one thing I have not been able to configure. I can't disable my wifi device. I have tried with rfkill and have not been able to Hard block the device (I just get it soft blocked). So the device is still on (and also the blue led that indicates the wifi state). I would like to be able to turn it off in order to improve battery consumption and have kind of 'airplane mode'.

This is what I get in rfkill when I try 'rfkill block lan':

Code: Select all

# rfkill list 
0: asus-wlan: wlan 
   Soft blocked: yes 
   Hard blocked: no 
1: asus-bluetooth: bluetooth 
   Soft blocked: no 
2: hci0: bluetooth 
   Soft blocked: no 
I don't know if this makes any sense but it seems that my wifi card is dependent on the BIOS settings. If it is disabled there, my wifi won't work at all, though the device will be detected (but won't find any network). If I enable it back at the BIOS, everything works fine again.
The funny thing (well, maybe not so funny) it is that the windows 7 installed in the EEE Pc can turn on/off the device as usual and it modifies the value in the BIOS!!!. Which means that if for any reason I turn it off in Windows I have to remember to turn it on back either on my BIOS or Windows.

yosi666

Solved

#2 Post by yosi666 »

Ok,
I think I just solved... :oops:
I installed rfkill 4.0 and added the bluetooth to the blacklist command. Now the led turns off and my wifi stops working completely. So now I have a couple of scripts to disable/enable my Wifi with their keybindings :lol:

Disable Wifi

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig wlan0 txpower off
rfkill block bluetooth
rfkill block wlan

Enable Wifi

rfkill unblock wlan
rfkill unblock bluetooth
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 txpower on
It seems that it doesn't need to be hardblocked. Am I right?