Puppy install problem: GRUB displayed continuously

Booting, installing, newbie
varaahan

#16 Post by varaahan »

I installed Puppy without Grub and when I restarted, osl2000 transfered control to boot sector and the sysytem hanged there. So it is necessary to have a boot loader installed.
Then I deleted all the partitions and created just a single partition for Puppy and installed it. Still when I reboot Puppy, I get the magical sigle word "grub" and the system hangs there.
Fed up with this, I used the Seagate Disk Manager utility and filled up all the space in the hdd with zeroes. Then I rebooted with Puppy live cd and installed it. Again on reboot, I get the same single word "grub". I had no other choice but to install Slackware and it works fine. I created another partition for Puppy and rebooted. When I tried to install, the installer shows only one partition (/dev/hdb5) whereas MUT shows two partitions. (/dev/hdb5 and 6).

I am confuzzled.

Can anybody throw some light as how to remove grub completely from my hdd.
I don't know how to clean the MBR of second hard disk (/dev/hdb). Or shall I once again clean the MBR of /dev/hda and start afresh. (this will make me to install Windows again).

rarsa

#17 Post by rarsa »

varaahan wrote:I installed Puppy without Grub and when I restarted, osl2000 transfered control to boot sector and the sysytem hanged there.
I still don't know why you transfer control to another boot sector. You should be able to boot directly to puppy using osl2000.

I'll repeat. You only need 1 (one, uno, ein) boot loader.

If you are able to install the grub (or lilo) that comes with slackware you should be able to just add an entry in the bootloader menu for puppy.

You DO NOT need to install the grub that comes with puppy.

The same boot loader can show you a menu of Operating systems to boot as long as you configre it correctly.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

varaahan

#18 Post by varaahan »

"
I still don't know why you transfer control to another boot sector. You should be able to boot directly to puppy using osl2000.

I'll repeat. You only need 1 (one, uno, ein) boot loader.

If you are able to install the grub (or lilo) that comes with slackware you should be able to just add an entry in the bootloader menu for puppy. "

Agreed. The problem is I will be toying with various distros, sometimes replacing an existing distro. In that case, the second stage of boot loader can not be loaded. That'swhy I have osl2000 or xosl in the MBR of hda so that I can load any distro.

But my problem is not solved irrespective of the fact that I have grub in MBR of /dev/hdb or root partition of /dev/hdb. Still I get the single word "GRUB". Why?
Even I tried not to install grub, still that irremovable "grub" is poking its head always.

And to be frank, I am always allergic to grub.

varaahan

#19 Post by varaahan »

At last I have found a way to boot puppy.
I edited the /etc/lilo.conf file in Slackware and added Puppy in it.
Now I can boot puppy via Slackware.
But another problem has cropped up.
While booting puppy it shows
" modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.31/module.dep (No such file or directory)"
Also the system waits there for 60 seconds and then continues.

Another point is I could not cofigure my ethernet card (8139too) but it is configured in Livecd mode.
The modprobe command gives the above output.
How to configure my ethernet card?

rarsa

#20 Post by rarsa »

Here some comments:

a) For whatever reason that I don't know and I haven't investigated, the Grub that comes with Puppy sometimes does what you experienced. If you try a newer version you may have better luck

b) There is a solution for the "I add and delete distros and partitions". For people in your situation: Install grub or lilo to it's own partition outside any of the distros, that way you can add or delete distros and your grub installation will remain.

c) You cannot remove Grub easily. (If you write zeroes to that part of the HDD you really need to know what you are doing). The reocommended solution is to install another boot loader to the MBR.

d) The modprobe issue: I have never experienced it. Hopefully someone else has an answer. sorry.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

pythoncoder

#21 Post by pythoncoder »

I have had precisely zero success with Puppy and Grub, I get exactly the same result with GRUB displayed on screen. As far as I'm concerned the Puppy/Grub combination is broken. By contrast I've had success using tiny.exe and linld.com, but you won't be able to use them until you have a valid MBR.

To get rid of Grub from the MBR you need to use the DOS program fdisk, using the /MBR parameter. See

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q69013/

Note that zeroing the MBR won't work: the MBR actually contains a small program which reads the partition table and boots off the active partition.

Pete

varaahan

#22 Post by varaahan »

Even if I install grub in root partition, I could not avoid the grub display

varaahan

#23 Post by varaahan »

Success at last !

Fed up with many many failed attempts, I followed this crude way and it worked.

I nstalled gag boot manager on to my hard disk.
Then installed Puppy as usual with grub on the root partition of /dev/hdb7.
Rebooted and configured gag for the newly installed Puppy and WOW ! now I am in Puppy.
And the network card problem is also NOT there.

I don't know which settled what, but the end result is that I can have my Puppy.

Thanks for all those who helped me in this post.