[FINISHED] CompizPup - an experiment

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
peebee

CompizPup-14.03.1-s57-pae-250514

#61 Post by peebee »

CompizPup-14.03.1-s57-pae-250514

New version uploaded to bring it into line with LxPup14.03-sp1

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

BobSongs

#62 Post by BobSongs »

Just finished downloading this version of Puppy for a test run.

LXDE is a nice, light desktop. Heavier than JWM, but JWM was never a favorite of mine. Since LxPup caught me since I first tried it, I'll give this release a test run.

peebee

CompizPup 14.08 beta

#63 Post by peebee »

CompizPup-14.08.01-s6-nopae.iso

New version - beta pre-release as based on Slacko6Beta2 (Slacko 5.9.3) k3.4.94 non-pae

Same changes as for LxPup14.08 - Slackware14.1 components, latest version PCManFM etc.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

CompizPup14.10

#64 Post by peebee »

New version:
CompizPup-14.10.00-s6-nopae.iso

LxPanel updated to version 0.7.1 + brought into line with LxPup14.10

mekalu2k4

testing compiz on compizpup

#65 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi,

I have downloaded and tested compizpup on my dell xps 18.4 inch tablet/ intel i5/ 8gb ram/ 500gb hdd. Here are my observations.

- compizpup is lightening fast. windows are great. almost all features worked well.

- touch did not work. I am aware that puppy also does not have this. However, touch is working in its basic form on fatdog64 and tablet can be used.

- compiz worked fine. However, I did not get the 3-d cube on the screen (showing different screens on different sides) yet. Not sure how to get this as we see in pictures or videos on web. I am a noob. Can you post some instructions step-by-step how to configure compiz?

Also note that I do not have nvidia on my machine. But most threads suggest that compiz works on builtin intel graphics (intel 4400) cards.

Edit (addition): Is it possible to add a onboard (on screen keyboard) to this distro?

Thanks for your efforts and looking forward to hear from you...

peebee

Re: testing compiz on compizpup

#66 Post by peebee »

mekalu2k4 wrote:However, I did not get the 3-d cube on the screen (showing different screens on different sides) yet. Not sure how to get this as we see in pictures or videos on web. I am a noob. Can you post some instructions step-by-step how to configure compiz?

Edit (addition): Is it possible to add a onboard (on screen keyboard) to this distro?
Using Google:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/86977/ho ... n-unity-3d

from pkgs.org:(not tested)

http://pkgs.org/archlinux/archlinux-com ... ar.xz.html

rename from tar.xz to .txz to install

mekalu2k4

#67 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi Peebee,
Thanks for you quick post. Much appreciated.
Tried this already on (even on Ubuntu). But having issues.
1. This article is about Ubuntu. Not for compizpup. The major attraction of compizpup is compiz itself. We do not have any simple step-by-step resource to configure. This will definitely keep users away.

2. This article mentions about third button on the mouse. First of all mouse has long disappeared. Then a third button? How to get around this?

3. Not just me. Me and my pals (a bunch of happily retired guys) here are happy to see compizpup, but cannot configure this. But we are not really into computers, we are not nerds.
peebee wrote: from pkgs.org:(not tested)

http://pkgs.org/archlinux/archlinux-com ... ar.xz.html

rename from tar.xz to .txz to install
Thanks for the keyboard. This worked like a charm. But onboard is looking more flashy.

peebee

#68 Post by peebee »

mekalu2k4 wrote:We do not have any simple step-by-step resource to configure.
First of all mouse has long disappeared. Then a third button? How to get around this?
Hi again

I'm not sure Compiz is intended to be used on systems without a proper keyboard and mouse.....

This guide may help with mouse and key bindings....
http://wiki.compiz.org/CCSM

Afraid I'm not a regular or experienced Compiz user.....I suggest just trying things and see what happens :wink: maybe on an experimental install....

Cheers
PeeBee

mekalu2k4

compizpup - tested over time - it is very nice

#69 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi PeeBee,

I have been using 'compizpup 14.10' on 18.4 inch/ touch tablet/dell xps. Excellent - this is all I can say. Firstly - it is blazing fast! and then secondly - I have used also this in live mode on old 7inch netbook/ atom n270 /1gb ram machine [without HDD]- worked nicely.

However, the downsides are:
1. no touch support, so one needs keyboard and mouse [Yes - both]

2. Compiz worked, but I have noted that one needs to get this to work through a series of trail and error/ experimentation. The compiz screens of this OS are different from ubuntu; so the online tools really did not help; but one can basically use them to start with.

If 'touch' feature added, then this distro can be a killer.

Thumbs up and Salutes for your contribution.

peebee

Re: compizpup - tested over time - it is very nice

#70 Post by peebee »

mekalu2k4 wrote:If 'touch' feature added, then this distro can be a killer.
Hi mekalu2k4

As I'm sure you know, touch is not really offered yet in mainstream pups.

See:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=808275

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96577

When it is, and assuming its slackware based, then a compizpup might be possible (though not sure that compiz is being actively developed any more?)

Lots of "ifs" there - so don't hold your breath!!

Cheers
peebee

mekalu2k4

#71 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi Peebee,

There is not much happening with Compiz. Where as kwin is picking up. As of today, both are almost same, just that kwin is being developed actively, I believe.

However, one point to now. Either compiz or kwin - it is not critical component of OS. Both are just cosmetic, bells and whistles in nature. Next thing is - one tries to get these things to work and OS/ graphics card drivers get messed up; and that can result in poor performance of overall environment.

I am glad to note that Utbuntu touch is about to get released, so future is bright for linux users. Let us see how things go.

mekalu2k4

how to install compizpup into the hard drive of laptop?

#72 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi Peebee,

I am able to use compizpup in live mode, booting the machine with a USB of compizpup ISO.

However, want to install compizpup into the hard drive of laptop. So, how to do this? I am not seeing any universal installer in compizpup menus.

Please help.

mekalu2k4

Re: how to install compizpup into the hard drive of laptop?

#73 Post by mekalu2k4 »

mekalu2k4 wrote:Hi Peebee,

I am able to use compizpup in live mode, booting the machine with a USB of compizpup ISO.

However, want to install compizpup into the hard drive of laptop. So, how to do this? I am not seeing any universal installer in compizpup menus.

Please help.
My apologies, I found the menu item. It perfectly installed, perfectly working from HDD.

mekalu2k4

few questions on compizpup

#74 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Sometimes, to get answers for simple tasks we need to read a lot. And there are too many questions, issues that I need answers.

For example, I want to know
1. I installed compizpup in frugal mode. Now how to save the session?

2. I have installed kingsoft office, but not finding menu links to start the word, powerpoint. how to to do this?

peebee

Re: few questions on compizpup

#75 Post by peebee »

mekalu2k4 wrote:Sometimes, to get answers for simple tasks we need to read a lot. And there are too many questions, issues that I need answers.

For example, I want to know
1. I installed compizpup in frugal mode. Now how to save the session?

2. I have installed kingsoft office, but not finding menu links to start the word, powerpoint. how to to do this?
When you reboot you will be prompted to create a save folder / file.

Where did you install kingsoft from? If its not from the slacko repository then it may not have menu items that are compatible with the compizpup menu structure which is the puppy menu structure.

You will need to find the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications and edit them with regard to category to be consistent with items that do show in the menu - e.g. abiword etc

mekalu2k4

#76 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Thanks PeeBee for your quick response - all issues resolved with your response. Ok, let me explain:

1. The netbook is working fine with frugal compizpup. But my neighbor wanted few more features.

2. I spent sometime to make the compiz to work, cubes to display/ rotate etc. Added skype and other programs.

3. Then I downloaded sfs for kingsoft. Followed the thread [http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91140 and one contributor 'puppus dogfellow' provided a link to sfs]. Installation went smooth. But no Icons were added to menu.

3. Then we were in doubt how to proceed. If shut the machine down, not sure if the settings, kingsoft will be retained for next boot. Then we do not know where to find info on saving the session. We did not want to shutdown. So we posted the message and waited. You responded

4. After reading your post, we confidently proceeded to shutdown; it indeed asked questions, a detailed info on saving files etc; machine came back on normally.

5. After the reboot, all our settings were retained; also items for kingsoft were now added to the menu automatically; though they are not in one place. Kingsoft office [spreadsheet, word, powerpoint] is working all normal.

He is now happy. Thanks again...

mekalu2k4

#77 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Thanks PeeBee for your quick response - all issues resolved with your response. Ok, let me explain:

1. The netbook is working fine with frugal compizpup. But my neighbor wanted few more features.

2. I spent sometime to make the compiz to work, cubes to display/ rotate etc. Added skype and other programs.

3. Then I downloaded sfs for kingsoft. Followed the thread [http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91140 and one contributor 'puppus dogfellow' provided a link to sfs]. Installation went smooth. But no Icons were added to menu.

3. Then we were in doubt how to proceed. If shut the machine down, not sure if the settings, kingsoft will be retained for next boot. Then we do not know where to find info on saving the session. We did not want to shutdown. So we posted the message and waited. You responded

4. After reading your post, we confidently proceeded to shutdown; it indeed asked questions, a detailed info on saving files etc; machine came back on normally.

5. After the reboot, all our settings were retained; also items for kingsoft were now added to the menu automatically; though they are not in one place. Kingsoft office [spreadsheet, word, powerpoint] is working all normal.

He is now happy. Thanks again...

mekalu2k4

compiz-pup advantages

#78 Post by mekalu2k4 »

Hi all,
I tested compizpup in different conditions and on different laptops. My experiences:
1. Compizpup wins over rest of all the distros (why? see below) for those who need the compiz.

2. Small foot-print. Tested successfully on Acer 7inch eee pc netbook / intel atom-270/ 1GB ram. We now upgraded this machine to 2GB RAM [no hard drive, we put frugal edition of compiz on a 32gb SD card] and the machines works happily with kingsoft office, VLC, youtube - all; plus the bells and whistles of compiz. This is very stable distro as of now. Now my friend is using for office work officially; he could get his boss to agree to this!!

Downside is this version will not work with touch tablets [not designed to do so].

Comparing to other distros - Ubuntu, Mint-mate-Rebbaca. These two are leading distros currently and touch friendly.

Ubuntu is the most stable. Touch is great. However, the OS crumbles the moment compiz is added. I had experienced several issues. The side-bar [on the left] and top menu panel all are gone after configuring compiz; especially the 'unity'. you can find several web pages on this problem. I was able to fix this; but some of the features of compiz are suppressed. Next thing is no screen-saver in Ubuntu; recent versions of distro the screen-savers are removed. Though one can try x-screensaver. This means; Ubuntu is looking in a different direction [as opposed to graphical bells and whistles]. There are reasons apparently for this, as I read from the web.

Mint-Mate-Rebbaca I tried this over a month. First few days are fine. As we use longer then several problems show up. Menu panel disappears at the boot. Then we have to open terminal [using keyboard shortcuts, this means you need an external keyboard to a touch tablet] and then ctrl+alt+t and do 'sudo mate-panel --reset' to get the menu back. sometimes it works, sometimes does not. Very strange. Both ubuntu and mint have issues with bash terminal [i dont understand this completely, but when i click the programs in directories, they simply do not run] this will not happen in puppy.

So morale of the story: There is a great future for all distros; in particular compiz-pup. I know a few guys work very hard to provide these distros free of cost to the users and it is easy [for users like me] to point bugs. We need to commend the efforts and point them to our needs.

To you creators of these distros: Great job! Keep them coming. My respects!!

Note: These are my observations based on my experiments. Seniors should comment/ suggest if there is something wrong here.

wrayc

lxpup 15.05

#79 Post by wrayc »

hey peebee

thinking about working your magic for lxpup 15.05 at all?

i tried installing compiz myself but no luck so far

i used the 2 sfs files followed by the setup file

but no dice . grrrrrrrr.... :twisted:

peebee

Re: lxpup 15.05

#80 Post by peebee »

wrayc wrote:hey peebee

thinking about working your magic for lxpup 15.05 at all?

i tried installing compiz myself but no luck so far

i used the 2 sfs files followed by the setup file

but no dice . grrrrrrrr.... :twisted:
Hi

If you mean LxPupTahr-15.05 then I'm afraid the answer is no - this is for Slacko based LxPup's only.....

This project is in hibernation - I don't intend to make any further issues.

Cheers
peebee