What netbook to purchase from ebay for $150 +/- ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
starhawk

#16 Post by starhawk »

Hey, Mike, any updates on your Thinkpad?

mikeslr

Answering my own question, sort of

#17 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

First, thanks to all those who responded with suggestions. I considered each suggestion carefully, using them as “jumping off

sgarre13

#18 Post by sgarre13 »

slvrldy17 wrote:An IBM X-30 series would be good or an X-60. I would avoid the X-40 series because the hard drives for them can be hard to find. The X-20 series will also work. Precise Puppy and/or Retro Precise should run well on any of them though. Their big advantage is a near full size keyboard - some of the netbooks almost require hobbit size hands to be able to type comfortably.
Hmm, bought an X40 for running Slacko 5.6. Running it purely off a tiny £5 Sandisk Cruzer Fit 8GB USB Stick. Bought the X40 with dock and HDD for £40, sold the HDD for £23 (and yes they are a bit rare) and still have the dock listed for £16 on Ebay so laptop will cost practically £7 when the dock sells. The only memory expansion I'm planning is slinging in an SD card in the built in reader as a photo and music storage,

rokytnji

#19 Post by rokytnji »

I have that much now invested in my http://www.macomp.com/companionpc.asp
I have bought 2 more of these on ebay (the seller had 20 of them) for $45.00 a pop complete but without operating system or a a/c adpater.

I found that Lenovo IdeaPad S9 S9e S10 S10e S12 fits it. I am going to sell one of the 3 for 100 bucks locally with Slack0 5.6 on the 30gig zif 1.8" hard drive. It has a broken right arrow key but I remapped the right arrow key to use the right shift key instead.

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e "keycode 62 = Right NoSymbol Right"
I already sold my eeepc 701SD and 900 locally and got what I asked for them also running Puppy Linux.

That seller does not offer that netbook anymore. They have a bunch of

Apple MacBook 13.3" Laptop A1181 C2D 2.20GHZ 2GB 120 GB SATA COMBO WIRELESS

instead in various states of condition and prices. They are not as cheap though as what I got mine for. More like $200.00 more expensive. Though they have some lower spec apple netbooks for under a hundred bucks. PM me if you want the ebay sales site link.

ThoriumBlvd

Look for Eee 900a

#20 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

I have both an original Eee-702 (8G Linux--Retired as of 11/1) and a 900a "BestBuy" model (4Gb-easily bricked by OS) that has been in storage 4+ yrs. waiting for the former's retirement. Plus, I also found another one w/16Gb SSD in it (swapped out the 4Gb) for under $100. On the first 900a, I put Slacko-Puppy 55-XL in it off CD then to thumb. Works very well and is up to date (using it now).

The 8.9" screen and 600x1024 is a standard i915/gme945 resolution, and keeps things portable. I sprung $35 for a 88mah battery to get 6+ hrs. but the battery weighs as much as the Eee :lol:

There is an issue with wifi, but Frisbee will solve... to use ethernet, SNS will work.

Sum it up... under $100 for a 900a and maybe get a new battery, or big battery. These older Eee have very good/excelent keyboards, and a Gig of RAM.

mikeb

#21 Post by mikeb »

An ongoing thread it seems...

Perhaps we should include what not to by.....

Avoid like the plague HP2133 netbooks...they look shiny but are crud underneath. In fact anything with a sniff of VIA in it should be avoided.
Stock hardware failures and a nightmare with video drivers on linux...poor performance giving abysmal battery life. None of this mentioned in the adverts lol.

mike