Macpup 550

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Karl Godt

#31 Post by Karl Godt »

kros54 wrote:It seems that the Hungarian language is a difficult ...
In fact, the same error as the macpup529 at: Hungarian language can not be changed.
All previous versions Macpup, and many puplet worked is all very well.
The localization process worked for each one. These are not.
I'm sorry... :-(

Code: Select all

chooselocale
in console should pup the GUI to select Language.
Worked for me .
Attachments
e17__Hu.jpg
(27.61 KiB) Downloaded 1339 times
e17__Hu2.jpg
(27.58 KiB) Downloaded 1428 times

runtt21

#32 Post by runtt21 »

Billtoo the difference in the devx files are just that ours have the stuff for e17 and EFL other than that they are the same.

kros54

#33 Post by kros54 »

Karl Godt: in console should pup the GUI to select Language.
Worked for me .
The menu could be transferred to the Hungarian language.
The problem was that as the Geany editor working, not a Hungarian characters keyboard. (íöőüűóúé)
It is NOT ENOUGH for the first keyboard settings!
Systematically everything should be changed!
Puppy setup-> Configure the mouse and keyboard->Advanced Xorg keyboard configuration... -> Layouts -> mark hu-Hungary (there was something in U.S.)
So now and then is fine, it works well, I hope to remain so...
Thanks for your help.
Last edited by kros54 on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Karl Godt

#34 Post by Karl Godt »

Ok krosh ?
Does it work for you too ?

/usr/sbin/quicksetup is the complete locale gui at firstboot .

kros54

#35 Post by kros54 »

The problem is more complicated than I wrote.
After transformation with the original surfaces E17 (Hungary) settings are lost.
Keyboard returns to English.
Improves X restart.
As for the good news: it seems that this method is safe.
I think it may be bug in E17?

Karl Godt

#36 Post by Karl Godt »

Yeah its a BUG in e17. It runs the external setxkbmap command forcing a default us-keymap all the time it gets started or restarted (look into /tmp/xerrs.log) .

All non-US users should read runtt21's remarks about it at the end of post #5
Localization:

550 does a better job of localizing than 529 did but it still has some issues.You will need to set your keyboard layout if you are a non english user. This can be done in the wizard under advanced keyboard settings. And then restart X .Karl has also make a cool little app that will do this. Install the KeyzboardFixxer-1.pet . This will make a entry in menu-applications-desktop e17 keyboard-restore. This will set up your keyboard and fix it again if something happens. That something will happen when you install packages or change themes. The problem in e17 is caused by a bug in X11 . Barry has a fix and we will be using a newer version of precise for the base of the next pup. E17 does have a keyboard layout switcher but it gave me a lot of problems in the 542 build so I pulled it out of 550. I had hoped that doing so would stop e17 from setting a layout and let puppy's settings stand but it didn't work.

vicmz

#37 Post by vicmz »

The Keyzboard-Fixxer pet ↓ works fine. I'm testing the localization with the official Puppy langpack for Spanish language (compatible with Puppy 5.3~5.7.1). Of course as things are organized a bit different in Macpup, most of the menu and some apps are still in English. What is the shutdown manager used in Macpup? Where are its scripts located? At best I hope to gettext a few things and build a macpup_langpack model so that many more languages can be done in a more permanet basis.

Note that Barry Kauler's internationalization support extends langpacks for compatibility across releases - before 2012 separate langpacks for individual releases had to be done. In that time developers didn't build upon internationalized scripts, they just kept on using the defaults, meaning that for every new release all the scripts had to be entirely gettexted and translated from the beginning. Because of this many people stop contributing. That's the main reason why there isn't a more complete langpack for Portuguese and Italian.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Karl Godt

#38 Post by Karl Godt »

vicmz, nice to hear that it worked for you !

Since John did not respond :
The app is called /usr/sbin/plogout , it is a script, but not a common shell one .
New to me is that there is also /usr/sbin/plogoutE and /usr/sbin/plogoutJWM .

vicmz

Re: Hooray !

#39 Post by vicmz »

Karl Godt wrote:The app is called /usr/sbin/plogout , it is a script, but not a common shell one .
New to me is that there is also /usr/sbin/plogoutE and /usr/sbin/plogoutJWM .
Thanks. :D
Senza Vega wrote:FINALLY! my favorite puppy with a French keyboard!
Thank you very much for this work!
Runtt, thank you from me, too (Spanish keyboard). :lol:

[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

kros54

#40 Post by kros54 »

Karl Godt: All non-US users should read runtt21's remarks about it at the end of post #5
Of course, I read the topic, before started working.
My experience, is that the E17 was changing, and E17 after a reboot, the keyboard language change, change will bring you U.S. (A Keyzboard-Fixxer pet is installed.)
Only always Restart X-server solve the problem.
After settings, normal use, do not need to poke on E17.

runtt21

#41 Post by runtt21 »

A little more info on the Keyzboardfixxer.pet. It works like an app. You can access from the menu under applications-Desktop -e17 keyboard restore. You can also add it to the desktop or put it on the ibar or favs menu or whatever. If you haven't set up your keyboard yet it will help you do it and if you have it will restore it when it gets mess up.

And the thanks should go to Karl, he is the one who fixed it.

runtt21

#42 Post by runtt21 »

Today was a good day 550 is getting it done !!! :D
Attachments
8.26.13.jpg
(45.68 KiB) Downloaded 1239 times

runtt21

#43 Post by runtt21 »

Agust has given us another new theme, MP550-Onyx-1

Karl Godt

#44 Post by Karl Godt »

Yeah, Macpup was steaming along in the 90s, just about to drop out of the top 100 .

You should release some experimental Macpups based on Slacko once a while .

runtt21

#45 Post by runtt21 »

Personally I think the fact that we stayed on the chart without releasing anything for a whole year is one of the most impressive thing our little project has done. :D

I don't know bout a slacko build.I am just not into slackware. I'm not saying anything bad about it . It doesn't really interest me.

Some of the stuff I want to do with the next pup is of course fix the keyboard stuff but I want to improve our built in support. Changing a few things with the help pages. Going back to a unified look through the whole pup. I got burned using a matching gtk theme back with Fox 2 . But now that we have tester that can check stuff I think we can get away with it. PPM still need work.....stuff like that. But we are just three days into this release !!!!!

vicmz

#46 Post by vicmz »

runtt21 wrote:the thanks should go to Karl, he is the one who fixed it.
Thank you Karl! :D

oldyeller

#47 Post by oldyeller »

Hi runtt21,

I did find a bug maybe I downloaded gimp and it never showed up in e17 or in jwm any ideas?

I can use it by using Gexec.

Cheers

runtt21

#48 Post by runtt21 »

Find its .desktop file, it should be in usr/share/applications and check its category . If it is different from mt paints category change it to match and then menu enlightenment restart.

runtt21

#49 Post by runtt21 »

Attachments
8.27.13.jpg
(28.89 KiB) Downloaded 1048 times

oldyeller

#50 Post by oldyeller »

runtt21 wrote:Find its .desktop file, it should be in usr/share/applications and check its category . If it is different from mt paints category change it to match and then menu enlightenment restart.
Thanks for the info, Should have realized this myself :oops: I guess there are times when one does forget things old age and all that you know :wink:

Cheers