Why won't Woof work?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Chili Dog

Why won't Woof work?

#1 Post by Chili Dog »

I don't know what happened, but some time ago Woof stopped working for me. Woof 1 or Woof 2, it doesn't matter. The program crashes during "build distro", right after it asks about the zdrv file (I say no to that).

If I tell it to check dependencies, it gives a bunch of error messages about not having ldd and chrooting.

It doesn't seem to matter if it's Ubuntu or Slack.

What do I have to do to get this working?

L18L

Re: Why won't Woof work?

#2 Post by L18L »

Chili Dog wrote:I don't know what happened, but some time ago Woof stopped working for me. Woof 1 or Woof 2, it doesn't matter...
It does matter for anyone who will try to help you :roll:

:arrow: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=36872 :wink:

Chili Dog

#3 Post by Chili Dog »

Ok I'll paraphrase. Woof 1 used to work awesome. I could just go through the steps in the gui, and I would end up with a bootable iso. Now, it doesn't matter whether it's Woof1 or Woof2, it always crashes at the same point in the process.

But people are still building things with Woof, so it must be possible.

Last night I found the part of Barry's tutorial where it goes through enabling a couple of online options. Ended up with the same problem, though. :)

oldyeller

#4 Post by oldyeller »

Chili Dog wrote:Ok I'll paraphrase. Woof 1 used to work awesome. I could just go through the steps in the gui, and I would end up with a bootable iso. Now, it doesn't matter whether it's Woof1 or Woof2, it always crashes at the same point in the process.

But people are still building things with Woof, so it must be possible.

Last night I found the part of Barry's tutorial where it goes through enabling a couple of online options. Ended up with the same problem, though. :)
Do you have woof in its own partition? This may help. that is what I have woof2 is completely all alone in its partition. If you have this already than reformat the partition and redownload woof2.

You can also check this thread for help with woof2

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81762
This should help you to get started all over again.

Cheers

L18L

#5 Post by L18L »

Sounds like Barry should be informed about.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02612
He is interested in just woof2 I think.

edit
I have no experiences with woof
Wrote this before I have seen oldyeller's post

Keef

#6 Post by Keef »

I've used woof in a directory - didn't need its own partition.
Might be worth reloading the devx in case something got borked.

oldyeller

#7 Post by oldyeller »

I only use a separate partition so that if something happens it won't get saved in the savefile, unless it is in /mnt/home.

I just did a build to check out if anything might be broken. It is all working great using it now.

Cheers

amigo

#8 Post by amigo »

"not having ldd and chrooting"
Do you have your devx thingy loaded?

pemasu

#9 Post by pemasu »

I havent ever used that gui thingy. I have used the underlying scripts straight. 0setup, 1download, 2createpackages, 3builddistro.

Launching them in console gives you usually error reports and if not....give the script -x parameter and you get more verbosity. You maybe can pinpoint in what stage the script fails.

Corrupted woof content has been many times my problem. Starting from fresh packages, fresh woof download has helped when the build just has failed.

Keef

#10 Post by Keef »

@oldyeller
Actually we are describing the same thing - I thought you meant a dedicated partition just for Woof. I have it in a directory on another partition, wouldn't consider using a savefile for anything that big.

The GUI part I don't like at all. Very tedious to select packages, and the end result always need manual editing anyway - things I want to leave out still appear.

Chili Dog

#11 Post by Chili Dog »

Thanks everybody. A fresh install with "update local db" did the trick. :)