USB disconnects on resume can be caused by Linux Kernel bug

News, happenings
darkcity

USB disconnects on resume can be caused by Linux Kernel bug

#1 Post by darkcity »

Sarah Sharp-
Facepalm. Linux may have been causing USB disconnects on resume from device suspend all along.

Pretty much for my entire career in Linux USB (eight years now?), we've been complaining about how USB device power management just sucks. We enable auto-suspend for a USB device driver, and find dozens of different USB devices that simply disconnect from the bus when auto-suspend is enabled.

For years, we've blamed those devices for being cheap, crappy, and broken. We talked about blacklists in the kernel, and ripped those out when they got too big. We've talked about whitelists in userspace, but not many distros have time to cultivate such lists.

It turns out it's not always the device's fault.

There's a 10 ms timeout in the USB core, with a simple comment over it "TRSMRCY = 10 msec". And indeed, in the USB 2.0 spec, section 7.1.7.7, the spec states "The USB System Software must provide a 10 ms resume recovery time (TRSMRCY) during which it will not attempt to access any device connected to the affected (just-activated) bus segment."

A software developer would say, "Ok, that means I can access the device after I wait 10 ms." However, a hardware developer would take a careful look at Table 7-14 and notice TRSMRCY is listed as a minimum value.

That means the USB ports can be in resume for longer than TRSMRCY. If the USB core attempts to access those ports while the device is still coming out of resume, such as issuing transfers to the device, or resetting the port, the device will disconnect, or transfer errors will occur. This causes the USB core to mark the device as disconnected.

It's easy to see that TRSMRCY varies on an Intel xHCI host controller by adding some extra debugging. The Intel xHCI host, unlike the EHCI host, actually gives an interrupt when the port fully transitions to the active state. The maximum time I've seen is around 17 ms, and the time is above 10 ms in about 8% of the remote wakeup events I've tested.

This patch is not the "real fix" for solving the issues with the USB core, and despise fixing things by tweaking timeout values, so I'll have to work on a real fix tomorrow. But at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel for USB device power management.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/11696035749 ... Zpndv4BCCD

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

That feature normally is not enabled in standard Puppy kernels .
It has to be enabled to take effect .
I have enabled it once and immediately the USB keyboard went asleep and was not able to wake it up again .
Disgusting, since it was a normal Pc with only USB connectors ( no PS/2 ) .

Dunno what kernel version it had been .

darkcity

#3 Post by darkcity »

I knew there had been problems with various USB devices and Power saving.

Now the bug has been found it may allow some additional power saving features into new Puppies :D