Making Puppy befriend Flatpak?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
Atle

Making Puppy befriend Flatpak?

#1 Post by Atle »

learnhow2code

Re: Making Puppy befriend Flatpak?

#2 Post by learnhow2code »

one thing im curious about: are these things based on containers?

cgmanager is dead and continues with lxc in devuan. other containers are managed with systemd (if youre not using systemd, you might need lxc at some point.)

for some reason i think containers are something you need 64-bit machines for. fine if this isnt the case.

if it is the case, do these "universal" packages work on 32-bit systems? for some reason, i think most copies of puppy installed or running are doing so 32-bit.

not saying that additional package support isnt an interesting idea, perhaps someone will implement that. i am curious about the requirements, and how much effort its worth if this is a 64-bit-only thing.

Pete

#3 Post by Pete »

Assuming this flatpck thing is also for 32 bit, then I like the concept but with one big reservation:

[quote]
Flatpak apps are sandboxed. From within the sandbox, the only things the app can “see

amigo

#4 Post by amigo »

flatpak uses systemd, so it is a no-go for puppy.

Atle

#5 Post by Atle »

systemd is not ok no...

good observation

learnhow2code

#6 Post by learnhow2code »

amigo wrote:flatpak uses systemd, so it is a no-go
i wonder if its possible to make flatpak use lxc for containers instead of systemd. the container functionality (which both these packages use) are tied to systemd anyway, though lxc is the modern (the maintained) alternative to systemd containers. this is something devuan will offer other distros-- but again, i think containers are 64-bit only.