Firefox 23.0.1

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Karl Godt

#31 Post by Karl Godt »

sunburnt wrote:Karl; I suppose /mnt could be used for files, I think it`s for partitions, so Barry put them in initrd.
I like /tmp because it`s not unioned with the Save file which would require resolving the union.
Most Save files are on a partition, so are slow to resolve of course. And /tmp cleans itself up.
Anywhere else in the FS is covered by the Save file and the union. Only /tmp and /shm aren`t.
# I have a generic download script that reads a file with a url list ( repository packages ),
and can contain script commands to modify the pkg. and do any setup that`s needed.
It`s a simple idea, if used with Debian, Ubuntu, and Slackware repositories it has great potential.
Build scripts can assemble binary files, or source files and compile them ala amigo`s AppDirs.
If a std. Puppy base distro can be settled on, binary files are the easiest of course ( bloated ).
I consider steady files as steady , not temporary :
felt really helpless when I committed the mistake of mounting all drives in /tmp, forgetting to unmount them and shutting down the system.

I was wondering, why was puppy taking so much time to shut down Confused

Next boot discovered that none of the linuxes were bootable.

Had to buy a new CD to run puppy and discovered that all my linux partitions were empty.

From that day I never mount anything under /tmp.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 465#705465

And /mnt contains also the mounted - not loaded - loop files as .iso and .sfs ; not only partitions .
You should know that, since you are the initial author of /usr/sbin/filemnt !

sunburnt

#32 Post by sunburnt »

He pulled the plug is what caused his problems. Did not shutdown.
He mistakenly believed that /tmp is deleted at shutdown, which it is not.

I`m not sure but I think Puppy ummounts everything at shutdown anyway.
We`re talking mounted Squash files, so there can`t be much of a problem.

I wrote filemnt over 6 years ago when I was starting out with Bash.

Karl Godt

#33 Post by Karl Godt »

#120514 WARNING: i don't have this problem, as no longer deleting /tmp/* (120409), however Karl Godt reported that 'fuser -k -m' may kill rc.shutdown then if no /tmp/bootcnt.txt then X restarts, ref: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02827

solo

#34 Post by solo »

For those people who use the SFS file of Firefox, I suggest you go to -Edit-Preferences-, click on the -Advanced- tab, select the -Updates- tab under that, and disable updates.
If you don't, a new update will install itself the moment you click on -About Firefox- in the Help menu. That would pretty much defeat the purpose of using an SFS in the first place.

Also, you can delete the files in folder /usr/share/firefox/updates/0/ , which are updates.mar (the big one), and update.status, and this will free up quite a bit of memory as well.

Of course after that it is up to you to update Firefox.

earlytv

#35 Post by earlytv »

solo wrote:For those people who use the SFS file of Firefox, I suggest you go to -Edit-Preferences-, click on the -Advanced- tab, select the -Updates- tab under that, and disable updates.
If you don't, a new update will install itself the moment you click on -About Firefox- in the Help menu. That would pretty much defeat the purpose of using an SFS in the first place.

Also, you can delete the files in folder /usr/share/firefox/updates/0/ , which are updates.mar (the big one), and update.status, and this will free up quite a bit of memory as well.

Of course after that it is up to you to update Firefox.
I use Browserlinux 501 and the firefox did its own update to ver26 thru the About Firefox. It seems to work fine? Being a hardware not software guy I always have questions. Can 501 use SFS? Is that SFS a better way? WHY?

solo

#36 Post by solo »

earlytv wrote:I use Browserlinux 501 and the firefox did its own update to ver26 thru the About Firefox. It seems to work fine? Being a hardware not software guy I always have questions. Can 501 use SFS? Is that SFS a better way? WHY?
Actually, that is what happened to me. I had the SFS loaded, and then ran the update by clicking -About Firefox-, and it installed v26, which ran without any problems. But then I noticed that because I had Firefox loaded through the SFS file, I suddenly had two instances of Firefox installed, one in /usr/firefox, and one in /usr/bin/firefox.
I don't know if you can use SFS files with Browserlinux 501, and if you can, I don't know if anyone has any available suitable for that particular distro.
I am very new at all this, but as far as I can assess, the biggest advantage of using SFS files, is that allows you to run your Puppy Linux with a relatively small amount of personal storage space, and this may come very handy if you are running it on computers with less memory.
And so if the memory requirements are smaller, the more flexibel your setup is.
But if it's about saving personal storage space, there are bigger advantages to achieve when it comes to Firefox, like the one discussed here:

http://208.109.22.214/puppy/viewtopic.p ... 15ff8adf77
Last edited by solo on Sat 28 Dec 2013, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.

earlytv

#37 Post by earlytv »

Browserlinux is diff, cant find it in either (/usr/firefox, and one in /usr/bin/firefox)?

solo

#38 Post by solo »

earlytv wrote:Browserlinux is diff, cant find it in either (/usr/firefox, and one in /usr/bin/firefox)?
My mistake, I meant /usr/share/firefox and /usr/bin/firefox.

Browserlinux is a distro specifically designed to be lightweight and meant for browsing the web. I don't believe using an SFS version of Firefox would yield a lot of advantage. Because the Internet browser is such a core component of the distro, it would be more advantageous to have it installed normally, so as to allow normal updating.
If you are eager to keep your save file as trim as possible, I'd suggest to apply the method discussed in the link I posted earlier.

earlytv

#39 Post by earlytv »

/usr/share/firefox and /usr/bin/firefox.

Still can not find firefox at those places, and the other files that I could delete not there also?
I have browserlinux installed wih grub and it looks like it takes up only 371 meg bytes on the 230 gig bytes drive.

solo

#40 Post by solo »

earlytv wrote:/usr/share/firefox and /usr/bin/firefox.

Still can not find firefox at those places, and the other files that I could delete not there also?
I have browserlinux installed wih grub and it looks like it takes up only 371 meg bytes on the 230 gig bytes drive.
Earlytv, when you have Firefox installed, like you have, and it updates normally, like it is in your case, it makes no sense deleting the files responsible for completing updates.
So I would strongly suggest that you do not delete any files at all, and I would also suggest that you would allow Firefox to perform updates, and not disable it by changing the settings.

In other words, your setup seems to be working for you just fine as it is, and I would not try to modify it if I were you.

My suggestions in previous posts pertained to those people who are running Firefox loaded as an SFS file in Puppy Linux, and are not advisable for those who have a setup in which Firefox is a regularly installed program like you have.

So don't change or delete anything please.