Firefox 23.0.1

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
koulaxizis

Firefox 23.0.1

#1 Post by koulaxizis »

[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

It's amazing how many novice nixers don't know this.

sunburnt

#3 Post by sunburnt »

Hi again koulaxizis; As I suggest to all Puppy app. package builders. Make SFS packages.!
Pets just take up the Save file space, this is without a doubt one of Puppy`s biggest problems...

SFS files use to be flaky when Puppy has an orphan, but now it has Ubuntu and Slack parents.
So now SFS files work very well from what I`ve seen. This is a complete turnaround for Puppy.

Make SFS files: Create the package without installing it. And then: mksquashfs $appDIR $fileSFS
Then use sfs_load to instantly load it into the union and immediately try it out. Very easy to do...
SFS file`s are much better than the std. Pet install method of scattering files all over the file system.

There maybe a Pet to SFS converter app. available, I know there`s an SFS to Pet app. ( Why.? )

koulaxizis

#4 Post by koulaxizis »

sunburnt wrote:Hi again koulaxizis; As I suggest to all Puppy app. package builders. Make SFS packages.!
Pets just take up the Save file space, this is without a doubt one of Puppy`s biggest problems...

SFS files use to be flaky when Puppy has an orphan, but now it has Ubuntu and Slack parents.
So now SFS files work very well from what I`ve seen. This is a complete turnaround for Puppy.

Make SFS files: Create the package without installing it. And then: mksquashfs $appDIR $fileSFS
Then use sfs_load to instantly load it into the union and immediately try it out. Very easy to do...
SFS file`s are much better than the std. Pet install method of scattering files all over the file system.

There maybe a Pet to SFS converter app. available, I know there`s an SFS to Pet app. ( Why.? )
Hello sunburnt!

If i remember correctly, it is supposed to be not a good idea to load more than 5 or 6 sfs files. Most users (including me) are using sfs to install skype, gimp, openshot, devx, qt, java etc. That's why i avoid to create sfs files, i do it only for large programs, over 100 mb.

Yes, you are right, sfs are much better and cleaner for the system and the save file. But how can someone load many sfs files without combining them?
Last edited by koulaxizis on Mon 19 Aug 2013, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

Laie

#5 Post by Laie »

Well, I am not a professional - but I use to download the latest firefox.tar.gz, unpack it into the home folder and make a symlink on the desktop. No pet, no sfs, slim savefile.

koulaxizis

#6 Post by koulaxizis »

Laie wrote:Well, I am not a professional - but I use to download the latest firefox.tar.gz, unpack it into the home folder and make a symlink on the desktop. No pet, no sfs, slim savefile.
Ok, this can be done with firefox... But what about other applications? Is it possible to be replaced by sfs files?

sunburnt

#7 Post by sunburnt »

Yes, any app. can be an SFS file, or a RoxApp, or AppDir, or AppPkg type package.

Laie; Yes, Firefox is relocatable ( very nice setup ), but not many apps are like this.

Here is my reply that relates to this discussion ( bottom of page ):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 173#720173

koulaxizis

#8 Post by koulaxizis »

sunburnt wrote:Yes, any app. can be an SFS file, or a RoxApp, or AppDir, or AppPkg type package.
Are there somewhere detailed guides about these types of packages?

sunburnt

#9 Post by sunburnt »

Puppy Wiki is all I can say, I`m not even sure what the url is.
Ask some of the seasoned app. builders here for some tips on how they make SFS files.

An SFS is no different than a Pet, the SFS files and dirs. just aren`t installed into the Save file.
They are added by the union which layers the SFS files in a stack with the Save file on top.

Google for RoxApps and AppDir, they are no-install apps. made in one dir. and are movable.
AppPkg is my no-install pkg. with more than 1 app. in it, a menu, and shared/private libraries.

koulaxizis

#10 Post by koulaxizis »

sunburnt

#11 Post by sunburnt »

I downloaded the english one and it`s what I`m using now, seems good.!

koulaxizis

#12 Post by koulaxizis »

sunburnt wrote:I downloaded the english one and it`s what I`m using now, seems good.!
After our discussion (and Q5sys's opinion) i am thinking to convert all my compiled packages (except from art - icons / wallpapers - and the very small ones, i don't see a point in that) into SFS files. I 'll keep the existing PET files and i 'll continue compiling in both formats. What do you think? What would be the best for the users?

Karl Godt

#13 Post by Karl Godt »

I vote vor .sfs for everything about 5MB .
Even in a full installation, I can simply click the .sfs and install it by copying the contents to locations I want .

.pup was basically a .zip
and
.pet is basically a .tar.gz with added md5sum ,
and the funny thing is, petget does not use this feature to verify the integrity of the .pet .

tlchost

Multiple SFS files

#14 Post by tlchost »

There's a fairly easy way around the multiple sfs problem...simply combine sfs files into one big sfs. I presently have 10 sfs files combined.

Smokey supplied a script that will combine sfs files. Here's the version I use:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh 
#Written by smokey01 
# This is a simple script to unsquash a bunch of sfs files. 
# Place this script on your desktop then drop all of your sfs files onto it 
# to make one big sfs file. 
mkdir -p /work 
for i in "$@"; do 
 case "${i}" in 
   *.sfs|*.SFS) 
urxvt -e /usr/sbin/unsquashfs -f -d /work/root-sfs "${i}" 
   ;; 
 esac 
 done 
 if [ "${1}" = "" ]; then 
Xdialog --title squasher --infobox "You need to drop SFS files on the icon, \nnot click on it.\n\n 
You require a lot of disk space this is why the\n working directory is at /mnt/home/work" 0 0 10000 

else 
urxvt -e /usr/sbin/mksquashfs /work/root-sfs /work/new.sfs 
rox /work 
Xdialog --title "***** WARNING *****" --msgbox "Rename and move the new.sfs file.\n When you click on OK it will be deleted" 0 0 
rm -rf /work 
fi
I changed the script to create the temp sfs in /work since /mnt/home is a fat32 usb and that will not allow for linked files.

Thom

sunburnt

#15 Post by sunburnt »

Good thinking, some folks just like Pet packages ( stuck in the old ways...).
Even though SFS pkgs. stay compressed and so are small in size.
Also Squash files are not vulnerable to viruses ( that I know of...).

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/RoxApplicationDirectory

I`ll post an AppPkg for you to look at and get an idea of how they work.

koulaxizis

#16 Post by koulaxizis »

I converted most of my packages into SFS and i added some new ones. Dive in people! :)

Puppy Stuff

bruno

don't stop making PET's

#17 Post by bruno »

Please don't stop making PET's
I never use frugal install, I always run puppy from live CD, with a savefile on USB.
PET is so easy to install, and it can update onto itself, like this one FF.
I have read about SFS, but it seems very complicated, I have never used it.

koulaxizis

Re: don't stop making PET's

#18 Post by koulaxizis »

bruno wrote:Please don't stop making PET's
I never use frugal install, I always run puppy from live CD, with a savefile on USB.
PET is so easy to install, and it can update onto itself, like this one FF.
I have read about SFS, but it seems very complicated, I have never used it.
SFS files are very easy to use! But i like PET files too! ;) So there is no chance to stop making them... :)

sunburnt

#19 Post by sunburnt »

bruno; SFS work with CD-DVD, USB, and HD, both Full-Install and Frugal-Installs.

Pet is the legacy style package, it adds files to the file system, AND takes up Save file space.!

SFS are read-only Squash files, so they stay compressed and they can`t be easily virused.
They`re added with the union file system. So they take very little room in the Save file.

bruno

pets and SFS

#20 Post by bruno »

Oh I thought SFS were only for frugal installs.
I will look into it again, and try it out.
But if it's a read-only file, can it "update" by itself?
Like with a FF pet, I just always install the pet, and then it always updates itself to the newest version, from inside FF.