The problem with linux

Promote Puppy !
dult

The problem with linux

#1 Post by dult »

Hey everyone,

I know this isn't the right place to criticize puppy, it's about empowering it I know.

But, for one to improve, one must know its flaws.

After must discussion with some work collegues it's clear to me the problems of linux to each user.

One asked me if he should switch to linux, I answered 'no', because he seems much of a mac user, someone who doesn't want hassle with anything.

This is the first problem, its not that linux gives more trouble than windows or mac, but it is scarier, it has that context to be very complex, for programmers. In a way, they are right, since we can customize everything, and there is like a billion distros, people don't know what to choose. Mac has one option, for everything.

Another said he will ever change from windows to anything else because he wants something he knows will work. But this is a flawed argument, because of the bagage it carries, most apps are made for windows, but windows is bloated and sometimes it will crash or not work for some reason... O_o.

In linux, I find it super-easy to change anything, it's clear, organized, and I can do whatever I want. My apps aren't spread across 4 folders in 10 different places...

But still, people are afraid that if an abiword .doc doesn't open perfectly in windows word 'OMG IT DOESN'T WORK WE LOST ALL OUR WORK'... I get that, I also get most people want their indesign file from 2001 to open effortlessly in 2013... But most people don't get the stupidity of this argument because most people see programs and files as books: 'Its just has to open and read', this is why most people aren't very good at interpreting text... -_-

A solution i'm considering, and that would be interesting for puppy would be an approach similar to ubunto edge.

I read (though I'm not sure) that Asus is releasing an atom based tablet. From what I 'know', atom is based in x86, but the idea is not a tabletization of puppy, no.

Imagine this:
- Atom based phablet;
- Android installed on one partition;
- Puppy installed on another partition;
- VM portable app for windows, linux and mac in the SD card.

This way, we could use the phablet as an android device. Connect to our home pc, booting to our puppy. If we connected to a pc/mac/linux we couldn't boot from, we could still launch our VM and boot puppy, even with some crippled performance.

We had access to our files, our apps, anywhere.

In a struggle, we could even boot from our phablet, though we had to have a usb keyboard for input.

This is a solution that could spread linux more and more.

Hope this gives some good feedback.

Best regards.

NP

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

android is ARM-only, but you could use an emulator.

dult

#3 Post by dult »

amigo wrote:android is ARM-only, but you could use an emulator.
The idea would be to boot from a normal pc. The android phone would just be a carry on.

Ted Dog

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I do the opposite, running puppylinux-ARM version on an android device, it's cheaper than an atom based computablet
Soon, hardware will be a minor (but important - if you wish to go darkside (M$) ) issue

Karl Godt

#5 Post by Karl Godt »

Go to the Deutsche Bank and ask them for 10M Dollars loan
for your project .

raffy

bundle

#6 Post by raffy »

The usual solution is a hardware-software bundle, and this is useful especially for ARM. In this forum, fatdogARM is under development for the hackable Allwinner SoC devices.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

dult

#7 Post by dult »

I get the idea of running ARM. But the main issue is that the phone wouldn't be able to "expand" on a more powerful machine.

I found the edge project interesting but the phone was just too much.

Puppy is made to run few resources, so a weaker mobile device might be enough for most works but for bigger ones you might want to connect it and use a more powerful pc.

This way you would always carry your pc with, but also your phone and docs. And not have to juggle between them.

Of course another option is getting a really big mini sd card and strapping your really smal usb drive to your phone via a strap...

Ted Dog

#8 Post by Ted Dog »

Oh on a android phone, never owned on of those. :oops: . That maybe hard, however ARM tech is rapidly getting closer to above avg. PC range Quad core 1G Ram 32G NAND etc. Have my eye on a Qubie being launched in Nov of this year, it sounds on paper equal to my fastest PC (old last gen i5 server, with max RAM)
Waiting till closer to Nov to preorder, a bit worried that the factory is too near Syria. :shock:

linuxbear

#9 Post by linuxbear »

ARM has always been above average. ARM CPUS were the reason that IBM's AIX servers were faster than the competition. The processor also used to be used on Macs until Apple changed to standard Wintel platforms. The PowerPC was the reason that Mac computers used to be significantly faster then Windows machines. ....ARM (or RISC) as IBM calls it has been around a while

p310don

#10 Post by p310don »

http://www.android-x86.org/ FYI

I don't like tablets personally. I can't understand them. I don't like touchscreens either. Obviously I'm odd.

amigo

#11 Post by amigo »

PowerPC is not ARM- ppc is/was motorola.

darry1966

Nope

#12 Post by darry1966 »

p310don wrote:http://www.android-x86.org/ FYI

I don't like tablets personally. I can't understand them. I don't like touchscreens either. Obviously I'm odd.
Nope your view is shared by many touch is for cellphones and frankly it should stay that way. So no way are you odd.

purmasuu

On Linux vs Windows vs Apple OS

#13 Post by purmasuu »

I found this article interesting ; though the details are kind of way beyond my league . However I think in a larger context, what is interesting is that Windows , OSx have have changed and shifted their OS's . They are now Services . Thus basically admitting that they can't push their code anymore (as a sgl OS) that can be boxed up and sold . Their issues can no longer be resolved with a new version . Thus what follows is a service . This gives them flexibility and allows 3 purposes :

1) the system can be tweaked for bugs , updated for viri (viruses) . Even have full retail plus shipping abandonment . The "skin" will stay the same .
2) they can charge for this service ; Nibble away at the credit card . Thus they never have mistakes only updates .
3) They can steal code with no one the wiser .
Kind of like the derivative stock companies that are able to hide their actions .

dult

#14 Post by dult »

The more I think bout this issue... the more I want to find a cheap atom tablet, flush android out and install puppy with no password.

Then connect either a bluetooth keyboard (or find some app so my phone can become one) or find another app with a screen keyboard.

Jwn could get some updates for some used shotcut (I'm looking at you alt tab).

The biggest change would be right click, but a press-holdFor3Sec-releaseWithoutMoving could solve it.