Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Nov 2014, 12:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy Slacko 5.5 XL
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Colonel Panic

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2013, 18:52    Post_subject:  

Thanks for this one! I'm posting from it now, it's a good replacement for the old Puppy Slacko FAT which was showing its age on my machine (Seamonkey kept crashing on it).

Cheers,

CP .

koulaxizis

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 04:33    Post_subject:  

greengeek wrote:
Hi Koulaxizis, I did a frugal install to my Toshiba laptop (2GHz, 512MB) and it is (of course) much faster than it was from CD. Good useability from LibreOffice - I typed up some documents and pdfs and was very happy.

I did have some other issues during my testing so I thought I would mention them in case others have similar problems and might be able to suggest possible causes I could look at. Here is what I found:

1) Sometimes if I click an audio file it opens in Pmusic as normal but plays twice at the same time (giving a sort of echo effect). There is only one instance of pmusic visible, but two identical audio streams playing at once.

2) When I play an mpg it works fine, but when I terminate it by clicking the cross at top right (ie close window button) it stops playing and immediately returns to the beginning and plays again. The second time I click the close window button it closes immediately. I don't get this effect with an mp4 or avi

3) Sometimes when I have a window open displaying the contents of a usb drive I see the cpu run indefinitely at 100%. This only stops when I close the window.

4) I have a directory which contains some .jpg files and a .svg file. If I click the first jpg it opens viewnior and I can then step through the jpgs ok, but as soon as viewnior tries to open the svg it drives the cpu to 100% for a long time then viewnior fails and closes itself. If I just click the svg by itself it opens fine with Inkscape Lite so the file itself is fine. Maybe viewnior should not be trying to open svg files? Maybe there is a window manager problem that is struggling to handle svgs???

Anyone else seen things like this before?

Hello greengeek, sorry for the late response!

I have the same problem with pmusic. I'm not a fan of pmusic however, it's kinda slow on my netbook. I usually remove it and play all my audio files with gnome-mplayer.

I haven't met any problem with mpg files, everything worked fine on every test, maybe someone else can help you with that!

About the third matter, i have noticed that happens (to me)only in case of loading too many files and especially thumbnails.

I also tried to view all kind of pictures with viewnior, step between them etc and i had no problem. Once again, someone else will have to report if had the same problem and see if we can find the problem's root and therefor a solution.

I'm grateful for reporting these issues and helping me improve the distro. Thanks!! Smile

Colonel Panic wrote:
Thanks for this one! I'm posting from it now, it's a good replacement for the old Puppy Slacko FAT which was showing its age on my machine (Seamonkey kept crashing on it).

Cheers,

CP .

Glad you liked it my friend! I intended to release this one and stop but seems like a lot of people found it useful, so i'm thinking about work more on it and release another version in the future. However, i will have to talk with 01micko first and ask for his license to let me keep remastering his project, it's important to me to be clear with everyone before continue.

[ Puppy packages | Puppy search ]
vicmz

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 12:16    Post_subject: Slacko XL  

koulaxizis wrote:
I intended to release this one and stop but seems like a lot of people found it useful, so i'm thinking about work more on it and release another version in the future.

I think you should. First, because it's fun. Laughing Second, because you can improve it for yourself, your friends and forum users interested. You don't need to spend all of your time, all of us have lives offline so we can understand. Slacko XL is based on a Puppy that is translatable by langpacks, so you'll have more users than you think. Cool

By the way, for OpenboxPlus I need some help learning how to set the pinstall to change themes, if anyone can tell me some commands to switch icons, gtk and wallpaper, as well as turning the pinboard empty (no desk icons), please post in the OpenboxPlus thread.

HBlaine

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2013, 21:26    Post_subject:  

Just downloaded the .ISO last night, burned to CD, and did a test boot on my Thinkpad T410s, i5, 2.4 ghz. Runs fine. Just set up and did a frugal install to a 16 GB USB thumb drive, and have it booted up on T410s. Everything detected/setup out of the box. Wireless setup was effortless (as usual with Puppy). The only thing I had to configure was activating "tap" on the touchpad, which took a whole (gasp!) 30 seconds.

Looks like an excellent job here. I'm going to look forward using it!

Thanks so much for all the great work!
koulaxizis

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug 2013, 05:35    Post_subject:  

HBlaine wrote:
Just downloaded the .ISO last night, burned to CD, and did a test boot on my Thinkpad T410s, i5, 2.4 ghz. Runs fine. Just set up and did a frugal install to a 16 GB USB thumb drive, and have it booted up on T410s. Everything detected/setup out of the box. Wireless setup was effortless (as usual with Puppy). The only thing I had to configure was activating "tap" on the touchpad, which took a whole (gasp!) 30 seconds.

Looks like an excellent job here. I'm going to look forward using it!

Thanks so much for all the great work!

Happy to hear that you are pleased mate!! If you have any problems to report or any ideas / proposals for future releases, i'll be glad to hear from you!! Smile

eztuxer

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug 2013, 18:45    Post_subject:  

Works real smooth on AAO Acer Aspire One netbook with 1.5 GB ram @ 1.6 GHz, and Fujistsu Siemens. 4 GB ram @ 3 GHZ
Good job.
Installed VLC & Skype.

koulaxizis

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug 2013, 18:58    Post_subject:  

eztuxer wrote:
Works real smooth on AAO Acer Aspire One netbook with 1.5 GB ram @ 1.6 GHz, and Fujistsu Siemens. 4 GB ram @ 3 GHZ
Good job.
Installed VLC & Skype.

Thank you brother! Smile

Skype was on my list but seems like i made some mistake (or simply forgot it) and was left out of the final iso.

I'm so pleased with gnome-mplayer that i can't use vlc at all! Laughing

Are you working on a fresh Pupitup lately? It would be nice to see a version based on a later Puppy! Wink

eztuxer

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 08:08    Post_subject:  

VLC has some recording "editing" functions very handy to save clips from the file it reads.
You can pause recording during advertising windows to get an ad free video/audio file.
You need to set the advanced controls ON in the view tab.
Also reads ALL codecs I run accross.

How nice to have a loaded puplet that needs just a bit of customization to fit my needs without having to install all myself (Lazyness rimes with happiness).

I love Puppy for it's small size and speed, but I end up needing quite a bit of software and I always favor a clean new install to any upgrade, so a 600 + MB .iso is fine since I run some not too old computers (3-5 years) anyway.

Thanks for your efforts.

eztuxer

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2013, 13:52    Post_subject:  

Built in mic on netbook not working, neither does the mic headset.
The speakers and headphones are woking OK.

DESCRIPTION: Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 27d8
KERNEL MODULE: snd_hda_intel

Everything is UP on Alsa mixer and retrovol.

Any clues ?

eztuxer

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 10:23    Post_subject:  

It is all working fine now.
Changed the soundcard in Skype from "default" to "HDA intel ACL268"
It somehow fixed it in MHWave too. Rolling Eyes
Internal and external mics OK.

koulaxizis

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 12:02    Post_subject:  

eztuxer wrote:
It is all working fine now.
Changed the soundcard in Skype from "default" to "HDA intel ACL268"
It somehow fixed it in MHWave too. Rolling Eyes
Internal and external mics OK.

Thanks for reporting this!! Glad that everything works fine! Smile

vflower

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2013, 03:49    Post_subject: Puppy Slacko 5.5 XL  

I am neither a developer nor an expert in linux, but just an occasional end user. I was wondering who has ever made a puppy derivative (may I call it Tinhat puppy, that is it contain all the application that one can think of : office, multimedia, internet, Samba, international language support etc etc and can totally run in ram. Of course it should contain my favourite browser Google Chrome). If there were such a puppy derivative, then Micro$oft people may be unable to sleep every night.
koulaxizis

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep 2013, 16:19    Post_subject:  

I have started organizing for the next "fat" Puppy and i need your opinion! Which applications would you like to see in the iso?

Please answer here!!

umair

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 02:19    Post_subject:  

hi koulaxizis:
Nice work. Everything working fine. Tested on Intel Dual Core 2.66 Mhz with 01 GB RAM. No issue in live mode, but when ever I want to use a FRUGAL installation, its get stucked at boot at the following text:

Puppypc4274 login : root (automatic login)
login [7714]: root login on 'tty1'

Never saw this error before in any Puppy. It is also confirmed that I already checked the md5. So no error in download. May be something wrong with inittab file. Any Idea ?
UMAIR
umair

PostPosted: Fri 13 Sep 2013, 06:11    Post_subject:  

umair wrote:
hi koulaxizis:
Nice work. Everything working fine. Tested on Intel Dual Core 2.66 Mhz with 01 GB RAM. No issue in live mode, but when ever I want to use a FRUGAL installation, its get stucked at boot at the following text:

Puppypc4274 login : root (automatic login)
login [7714]: root login on 'tty1'

Never saw this error before in any Puppy. It is also confirmed that I already checked the md5. So no error in download. May be something wrong with inittab file. Any Idea ?
UMAIR

I think nobody have a Answer of that. So switching back to PHAT Slacko as I
used only FRUGAL Installation.
Thanks.
UMAIR
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot