Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 23 Sep 2014, 12:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Boot any Puppy from USB pen/Micro SD card!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
Krishnamurti Naskar


Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 85
Location: Calcutta

PostPosted: Sun 11 Aug 2013, 23:14    Post subject:  Boot any Puppy from USB pen/Micro SD card!
Subject description: The easiest way to have puppy runnin' the show!
 

1.you need a memory card or pendrive(whatever you have)
2.format it to FAT32/FAT16 filesystem using Gparted(/whatever you have)
3.open terminal and while in Gparted,just make a note of the device name
in which you will be using the puppy.(suppose /dev/sdb1,for example)
4.write in terminal

syslinux --stupid /dev/sdb1

5.done.Syslinux will create on file and one folder in your /dev/sdb1.
don't bother to remove those.
6.Now your /dev/sdb1 is bootable.
7.open or mount the .iso file of the puppy you wish to run.Then open /dev/sdb1.
8.copy all the files of the .iso into your /dev/sdb1

9.rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg

10.reboot you Box.
11.Hooooooooorrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12.puppy runni'n da show.ain't it?
--------------------------------------------
Laughing Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dean


Joined: 03 Dec 2009
Posts: 47
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 02:32    Post subject:  

Unetbootin is easier Smile
_________________
------------
HP 510 Notebook CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Krishnamurti Naskar


Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 85
Location: Calcutta

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 02:50    Post subject:  

Dean wrote:
Unetbootin is easier Smile

Just in case,you coludn't have unetbootin.
And the process written above is done barely by hand.
so there's lot of scope to learn,boyo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Adagio

Joined: 06 May 2011
Posts: 126
Location: TerraAustralis

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 03:06    Post subject:  

Boyo?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
L18L

Joined: 19 Jun 2010
Posts: 2505
Location: Burghaslach, Germany somewhere also known as "Hosla"

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 06:02    Post subject: Re: Boot any Puppy from USB pen/Micro SD card!
Subject description: The easiest way to have puppy runnin' the show!
 

Krishnamurti Naskar wrote:
1.you need a memory card or pendrive(whatever you have)
2.format it to FAT32/FAT16 filesystem using Gparted(/whatever you have)
3.open terminal and while in Gparted,just make a note of the device name
in which you will be using the puppy.(suppose /dev/sdb1,for example)
4.write in terminal

syslinux --stupid /dev/sdb1

5.done....

Not with my (recent Precise) Puppy:
Code:
# syslinux --stupid /dev/sdb1
Usage: syslinux [-sfr][-d directory][-o offset] device
#


Code:
# syslinux  /dev/sdb1
#
has created just one file: ldlinux.sys

Note,
I am not a beginner, have always grub for installation on USB pen/Micro SD card!

edit
Have repeated using
Code:
syslinux -s /dev/sdb1
without success
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Krishnamurti Naskar


Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 85
Location: Calcutta

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 08:10    Post subject: Re: Boot any Puppy from USB pen/Micro SD card!
Subject description: The easiest way to have puppy runnin' the show!
 

L18L wrote:
Krishnamurti Naskar wrote:
1.you need a memory card or pendrive(whatever you have)
2.format it to FAT32/FAT16 filesystem using Gparted(/whatever you have)
3.open terminal and while in Gparted,just make a note of the device name
in which you will be using the puppy.(suppose /dev/sdb1,for example)
4.write in terminal

syslinux --stupid /dev/sdb1

5.done....

Not with my (recent Precise) Puppy:
Code:
# syslinux --stupid /dev/sdb1
Usage: syslinux [-sfr][-d directory][-o offset] device
#


Code:
# syslinux  /dev/sdb1
#
has created just one file: ldlinux.sys

Note,
I am not a beginner, have always grub for installation on USB pen/Micro SD card!

edit
Have repeated using
Code:
syslinux -s /dev/sdb1
without success


doing syslinux on a drive creates two things-
1. one folder(BOOT-in it, a file called Bootable_NoEmulation.img)
2. one file (ldlinux.sys)


I don't remember my syslinux version,
but I did it on Pinguy OS 11.10.
you had no luck donig that,which i think of is due to an older syslinux version wasn't capable of .......
--------------------------------------
I tell you one thing-UnetbootIn never made that drive(4 GB datatraveller by Kingston) bootable,as i've tried several times with that drive.one day,accidentally tried syslinux --stupid...........
I got it runnin'.
----------------------------------------
so please ensure the version no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Krishnamurti Naskar


Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 85
Location: Calcutta

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 08:21    Post subject:  

@L18L ------------

after hearing from U,
i tried the same stuff,

Code:
syslinux --stupid /dev/thing


on my SD card,i got ''segmentation fault''+one file(ldlinux.sys)

note-i did that on saluki---(Saluki)luki-0.2.2(3.2.Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 8253

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 09:17    Post subject:  

I'm a

bootlace.com /dev/thing
add grldr and a menu.lst fanboy cos I love dancing penquins on my boot screen....

Boyo... are we in Wales or India here Very Happy

sorry was trying to resist this thread.

mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Karl Godt


Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 3972
Location: Kiel,Germany

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 09:29    Post subject:  

For me Puppy's Grub legacy still rules also the USB drives .
It has the commandline I learned to use by trial, websearch and error .

syslinux version 3.73 is stable, anything beyond that needs some care .
Had problems using the new xfs support of extlinux .
Recently had burned an Android-4.3 for x86 using four labels for the vesamenu32.c .
Had learned a little by this .

Krishna, nice to learn some new for commandline !

_________________
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
tlchost

Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1701
Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 09:58    Post subject: For Heretics  

For those heritics who use windows:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ does a very nice job

For the pureists, look at how making a bootable version of fluppy is done...
it copies methods used in other Linux distros.

http://smokey01.com/jemimah/fluppy13/

If anyone is insterested I can provide a link to a zip file that creates a bootable usb ready to place puppy on it, and a sample syslinux config files that handles multiple puppies on a single usb drive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Krishnamurti Naskar


Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 85
Location: Calcutta

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:16    Post subject: Re: For Heretics  

tlchost wrote:
For those heritics who use windows:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ does a very nice job

For the pureists, look at how making a bootable version of fluppy is done...
it copies methods used in other Linux distros.

http://smokey01.com/jemimah/fluppy13/

If anyone is insterested I can provide a link to a zip file that creates a bootable usb ready to place puppy on it, and a sample syslinux config files that handles multiple puppies on a single usb drive.


Please provide the link!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Krishnamurti Naskar


Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 85
Location: Calcutta

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:19    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
I'm a

bootlace.com /dev/thing
add grldr and a menu.lst fanboy cos I love dancing penquins on my boot screen....

Boyo... are we in Wales or India here Very Happy

sorry was trying to resist this thread.

mike


i'm quite new to bootlace.i must get used 2 this.
but, syslinux is easier,i think.
thanx 4 da mention.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 8253

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:45    Post subject:  

Quote:
i'm quite new to bootlace.i must get used 2 this.
but, syslinux is easier,i think.

bootlace.com is in the path of newer puppies.... it has a simplicity about it and it can run in linux or DOS which is handy.

But see my penquin problem on my usb stick....

mike
pengy.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   67.11 KB
 Viewed   918 Time(s)

pengy.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Krishnamurti Naskar


Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 85
Location: Calcutta

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:11    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Quote:
i'm quite new to bootlace.i must get used 2 this.
but, syslinux is easier,i think.

bootlace.com is in the path of newer puppies.... it has a simplicity about it and it can run in linux or DOS which is handy.

But see my penquin problem on my usb stick....

mike


screeny is impressive.
multiboot environment is fantastic.
but,why the headline-------QEMU?

I think it is used in virtualisation cases.
Does it have sth. to do with pangy animes?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeb


Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Posts: 8253

PostPosted: Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:27    Post subject:  

I booted the usb stick in QEMU emulator for the screenshot...

animes..I know not but they run side to side and one down the pipe as a timout indicator.

Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0891s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0040s) ][ GZIP on ]