I'm back -- and at high speed!

News, happenings
Geoffrey

I'm back -- and at high speed!

#1 Post by Geoffrey »

Hi guy's, I'm back after nearly 3 weeks with no net or phone, now have a new fast connection and loving it. :D
Attachments
355918846.png
(33.79 KiB) Downloaded 807 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rokytnji

#2 Post by rokytnji »

Wooohoo. I be jealous.

Code: Select all

speedtest_cli.py
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from Windstream Communications (174.do dah do dah)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by T-Mobile (Dallas, TX) [116.59 km]: 71.023 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 3.02 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 0.64 Mbit/s
http://www.tecmint.com/check-internet-s ... -in-linux/

01micko

#3 Post by 01micko »

Code: Select all

# ./speedtest_cli.py 
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from Telstra Internet (123.x.x.x)...
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by 'Yes' Optus (Brisbane) [7.08 km]: 47.726 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 1.35 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 0.48 Mbit/s
:roll:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

drunkjedi

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

Ohh I have 10 mbps internet connection.

I found out that the mbps they advertise are mega bits not mega bytes I thought.

So my downloads are at 1~2Mbps only.

And this comes at ~22$ per month here in India.

How's the cost there.

rufwoof

#5 Post by rufwoof »

I've been on a more asymetric download/upload 50Mbs+/3Mbs- broadband (co-ax cable) for quite a while now. In London EE (mobile/cell phone service provider) are providing 300Mbs with trials of 400Mbs ongoing. To make use of the 300Mbs 4G speeds EE customers need to have a Cat 6 smartphone - which includes the iPhone 6, Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 4 (oddly the iPhone 6 Plus does not come with support for 300Mbps 4G speeds!). Problem is there are monthly data limits, whereas home (fixed line) is unlimited. My last 4 month report claimed we'd downloaded 640GB - apparently the same as downloading the equivalent of all 236 episodes of Friends. Frankly I can't see how/where we're downloading over 5GB/day though. .... Just ran a quick calculation and that's just over 12 minutes/day of 56Mbs download, so with multiple game boxes (PS4 etc)/multiple PC's being quite heavily used in the evenings I guess that's not as extreme as I'd originally thought.

Phone/broadband/TV with calls (we pay per call/minute) works out at around £50/month here (pretty light land line calls as we mostly use mobiles/skype, lower end TV package (basic channels, none of the Sports/Film additional channels)), around $75 US$. Mobile phone contracts on top (individually). £1.50/day is pretty good value IMO, especially for the amount we use. Last time I used a internet cafe some time back (few years ago now) it was £1/hour. Put into perspective the national average wage is £28,000/year (which when divided by 365 = £77/day).
Attachments
st.jpg
(31.86 KiB) Downloaded 409 times
Last edited by rufwoof on Fri 01 Jan 2016, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#6 Post by Geoffrey »

I'm not as happy as I was, as the day progresses the slower the downloads are, I contacted the provider it seems there are 400 other customers connected to the same FTTN (Fiber To The Node) connection, they tell me it's a NBN (National Broadband Network) company problem, my speed as dropped down to the level I use to have, this will be useless, as I also have a Broadband TV box that's yet to be delivered, I can't imagine it being usable at that speed especially if anyone else is to use the the connection browsing and YouTube-ing like they do now, even YouTube stalls if more than one person decides to stream videos.

"09/12/2015

news Malcolm Turnbull’s Coalition Government will “ditch
Attachments
356166869.png
(34.51 KiB) Downloaded 716 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

rokytnji

#7 Post by rokytnji »

How's the cost there.
Unreasonable. Embarrassed to say but : 90 bucks a month. Hard line telephone included.

Geoffrey

#8 Post by Geoffrey »

rokytnji wrote:
How's the cost there.
Unreasonable. Embarrassed to say but : 90 bucks a month. Hard line telephone included.
$115 a month, that includes unlimited data, sip phone with unlimited local, national, international and mobile calls, TV box, 35 channels and 30 movies a month, 6 month subscription NETFLIX.

That's not to bad as I was paying near that amount for 120 gig data and added call costs.

Terry H

#9 Post by Terry H »

Geoffrey wrote:
rokytnji wrote:
How's the cost there.
$115 a month, that includes unlimited data, sip phone with unlimited local, national, international and mobile calls, TV box, 35 channels and 30 movies a month, 6 month subscription NETFLIX.

That's not to bad as I was paying near that amount for 120 gig data and added call costs.
That seems reasonable, if you can get the bandwidth to be functional.

starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

I'll believe those numbers when I actually see them happen. Feels FAR more like 2-3Mbps to me, which is what we (Mom & I) had before they switched us to 4g.

"They" being Verizon Wireless.

I could go on a long rant here, but it's a holiday so I'll keep my fat trap shut. I will say that I know for a FACT they care for money and nothing else. We pay them $70 a month for HORRIBLE service because nobody else will give us so much as a second look. I have emailed their CEO twice now. I gave up even on that, because the guy who answered the phone the second time (they have an "executive department" now for people like us!) -- his response to "your service is crap" was "but you're paying us for it!"

I couldn't make this crap up if I tried.

I swear to God, if I ever find a better service, I am going to send said CEO a box full of every single Verizon device I've ever owned, after it's spent time with my good hammer. That, and a very detailed letter of exactly what is wrong with their company and the service it doesn't really actually provide... a letter that I will also take to my local and sorta-local newspapers and one local television station.

I literally cannot say enough bad things about that company.

cthisbear

#11 Post by cthisbear »

Geoffrey:

Do some posts on Whirlpool mate.

Best way to go.
Personally I like TPG...better reps.
Many anti-TPG whingers though.
But I have had them since Dialup.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/15

"""""""

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2373215

" mupman

Guys has anyone managed to successfully leave Optus whilst
under contract due to these speed issues? If so, any advice so we could cut to the chase and get it happening sooner rather than later?
(as I'm sure they'll try and fight it of course).

I'm almost 3 months into my 24 month contract because as a
first time NBN user I was naive enough to think that 100/40 NBN would be the same no matter which provider you chose - NBN is NBN, right?

Oh how wrong I was. I was fortunate enough to be a Telstra cable customer for over 4 years and I would consistently get 13.5MB/s
(bridged mode into a decent router) day or night, any day of the week.

I never once had to contact Telstra for any performance related issues EVER during that entire period but, as has been well documented on
this thread, there is no such love with Optus and I basically want to
stop being their customer as a result.

So yeah, anybody got any tips on getting out of this contract
ASAP before I reach out to them directly?

>>>

limpboy

Plenty of people have managed it.
Just as long as you have spoken to tech support and ruled out
basic troubleshooting.
Get them to confirm congestion in your area and no upgrades
coming anytime soon.
Let them send techs or whatever and leave notes on your account.
Then have a chat to their cancelations team.
Should pretty straightforward conversation. "

"""""""

posted 2015-Dec-3, 12:32 pm

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2472911

riv
What kind of modem are you using?
One of the main things I've been seeing with modems that are
trying to operate at the 50/20 or 100/40 speed tier is that
many of the VDSL2 modems appear to have retrofitted ADSL
chipsets and the chipset/backplane/CPU tops out at ADSL2+
rates ultimately meaning even if you train up at 50/20 you
will run out of puff before you ever get there. Unless the
provider buys services from NBNCo directly they probably
haven't had access to NBN's National Test Facility in order
to do lab testing between various CPEs and VDSL DSLAM in a
sandpit/lab environment and will be leaning on their provider
for a list of supported CPEs.
Some modems also don't seem to play very nicely with the
ISAM 7330 Eg Cisco. See if you can get your hands on a Netcomm NF4V this is what NBN use for their VDSL2 testing and it plays nicely with the
Alcatel Lucent ISAM 7330 DSLAM.

::::

philippe_d

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2466957

VDSL2 is very sensitive to the quality of your line. Makse sure your line is properly connected, e.g.

Modem should be placed as close as possible to point where the phone line enters your house. It's much better to shorten the phone line,
and to extend the ethernet cable to your local network.
if you need to extend the phone line between the entry point and the modem, make sure there are no other connections (stubs) to the wiring. all sideways to old telephony sockets should be disconnected.
if you use a splitter/filter, make sure to use the right one (for VDSL2), and it is a central filter.
All telephony wiring can only be connected to the phone port of the
filter
if you have no analogue phone, you don't need the filter, you can connect the modem straight to the incoming line.
In this case no need to use the Fritz Y-cable.

I guess you know all this, but check your wiring, there might be points
to improve ... and you will be surprised about the effect.

""""""""

Go >> TIO route if you can't get them off their backsides.
Optus are a crap ISP.

As I said >>> post on Whirlpool.
Read some of the link posts...not all Optus but best I can do.

Seasons greetings mate.

Chris.

bark_bark_bark

#12 Post by bark_bark_bark »

starhawk wrote:Image

I'll believe those numbers when I actually see them happen. Feels FAR more like 2-3Mbps to me, which is what we (Mom & I) had before they switched us to 4g.

"They" being Verizon Wireless.

I could go on a long rant here, but it's a holiday so I'll keep my fat trap shut. I will say that I know for a FACT they care for money and nothing else. We pay them $70 a month for HORRIBLE service because nobody else will give us so much as a second look. I have emailed their CEO twice now. I gave up even on that, because the guy who answered the phone the second time (they have an "executive department" now for people like us!) -- his response to "your service is crap" was "but you're paying us for it!"

I couldn't make this crap up if I tried.

I swear to God, if I ever find a better service, I am going to send said CEO a box full of every single Verizon device I've ever owned, after it's spent time with my good hammer. That, and a very detailed letter of exactly what is wrong with their company and the service it doesn't really actually provide... a letter that I will also take to my local and sorta-local newspapers and one local television station.

I literally cannot say enough bad things about that company.
Can't expect much out of a bunch of right-wingers.

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

Agreed.

But I'd switch to AT&T in a heartbeat if I could get something that didn't have a data cap. We have a grandfathered-in Unlimited plan with Verizon.

*exasperated sigh*

linuxcbon

#14 Post by linuxcbon »

Hi,
I am at 15 Mbps , which is ADSL2+ (2x faster than normal ADSL).
(Soon I will switch to fiber, and it will be even faster.)
Cheers

cthisbear

#15 Post by cthisbear »

Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

Virgin Broadband in Central Scotland; forgotten how fast it aught to be.
Attachments
00.jpg
(25.06 KiB) Downloaded 637 times

Fossil

#17 Post by Fossil »

Deep exasperated SIGHHHhhhhhhh! :( (from the wilds of deepest Gloucestershire).
Happy New Year!
Attachments
Broad-damned - speed test -01-01-2016 x697.jpg
(20.3 KiB) Downloaded 635 times

ozsouth

migrate?

#18 Post by ozsouth »

Fossil, perhaps you should follow my grandmother's example & migrate - from Coaley in 1920 - to Oz 40 degree C summers!
No wait - perhaps you can migrate to another ISP. (I get 9.5 DL & 0.8 UL with TPG in Oz).

Fossil

#19 Post by Fossil »

Fossil, perhaps you should follow my grandmother's example & migrate - from Coaley in 1920 - to Oz 40 degree C summers!
No wait - perhaps you can migrate to another ISP. (I get 9.5 DL & 0.8 UL with TPG in Oz).
@ozsouth. I'll start walking! Changing my ISP won't do any good. The whole area is the same; old post-war phone lines; no incentive for BT to upgrade the outlying villages, so the country's ISP's all have to route through this deplorable network. Please don't get me started on 3G/4G wireless - the coverage of which is equally bad - one area good, a mile away, useless. :(

rufwoof

#20 Post by rufwoof »

Sylvander wrote:Virgin Broadband in Central Scotland; forgotten how fast it aught to be.
We could go for a faster option but we still have some old 10/100 network wiring/devices connected to the lan, and I believe the net slows to the slowest device. Not much use having the potential to receive (download) at >100Mbs when the hardware doesn't support it and becomes the bottleneck (limited to 100Mbs).
Attachments
a.jpg
(57.67 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]