How to make a tweaked Puppy optical banking disk? (Solved)

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Sylvander

How to make a tweaked Puppy optical banking disk? (Solved)

#1 Post by Sylvander »

1. Tried remastering my running Precise-5.6.1 session.
Wanted to include the contents of the existing precisesave.
Succeeded in making [not sure what exactly], and it booted OK...
BUT....

2. Instead of it going straight to the desktop...
It asked for configuration of language/region/keyboard/screenarea.
I'd like it to use the configurations etc recorded in the Precise-5.6.1 within which it was remastered.

3. What I want:
To use for online banking...
Including various tweaks made by me.
An optical disk that cannot be messed with after it's made.
Remains unchanging?
Or perhaps a multi-session DVD-RW provided only I get to choose whether/which session changes to record and use.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I've never remastered a Puppy but I've used a multisession Puppy DVD or CD in many computers. It's always done just what I expected it to do. If you're worried about a multisession DVD being corrupted, just remove the disk from the drive after it's finished booting, or boot it from a non-burner drive. Possibly Pburn could close a multisession disk after burning the last session, to prevent any more changes. I've never tried that.

dancytron

#3 Post by dancytron »

Not exactly sure, but try when it asks you about customizing the /etc directory choose yes. If that doesn't work, try copying all of your /etc directory to the /tmp/etc directory when it asks if you want to add any files to /etc.

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

@dancytron
1. "try copying all of your /etc directory to the /tmp/etc directory when it asks if you want to add any files to /etc."
I did that...
Plus I copied /root to /tmp/root. [See this post by rerwin]
Result wasn't what I hoped.
It didn't go straight to desktop; asked for config settings.

@Flash
2. "I've used a multisession Puppy DVD or CD in many computers."
For a long time, I've watched with interest many of your posts on the topic of multisession DVD-RW disks.
You said it was better than CD-RW.
Is it so in this case?
I was always pretty certain that sometime the day would come when I'd do it.
Now is that time methinks.
So how is it done? Any instructions?
Can I include all of my tweaks that have been added to the pupsave file.
I've seen you write that it's possible to save session changes, but then not load them if you choose.
Does that provide enough security for banking?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Yes, a rewritable DVD is better than a rewritable CD. Sony claims the DVD+R is technically superior to the DVD-R, but then they would, since they invented the + format. I've used both + and - DVDs with equal performance as far as I could tell, but I wasn't really making a comparison study. I was only using whatever I happened to find first. I highly recommend using a rewritable DVD, + or -, for experimenting with multisession Puppy.

As for making a multisession disk, it couldn't be simpler. You can use Pburn, but Burniso2cd is simpler. You don't have to blank a rewritable DVD first; Burniso2cd (and, I think, Pburn) will overwrite whatever is on a rewritable disk. This used to be true for only the DVD+RW, but I think now it also works for DVD-RW. I've found that burning the iso from somewhere in RAM is the most reliable way to go. If the iso is on a hard disk or flash drive, just copy it to /tmp and tell Burniso2cd or Pburn to burn it from /tmp.

You add the tweaks to the newly-burned multisession disk after you boot it the first time, then choose "save to CD" when you shut down the first time. After that, it's a multisession disk and there is a "Save" icon on the desktop that you can use to save a session without shutting down.

If you don't want Puppy to load a saved session when the disk boots, there's a way to do that. It's in the boot options. It's been so long since I used it that I've forgotten, but it should be obvious. I think it's something like "puppy pfix=n" where n is 1 (to ignore the last session saved) or 2 (to ignore the last two saved sessions), etc. There used to be a way to ignore only a certain session back a ways, or several sessions. I forget exactly how to do it though. :(

As for security, it seems to me that multisession can be more secure than running from a hard disk, since nothing is saved unless you choose to save it. However, most exploits seem to be through the browser. Do your online banking right after booting, before you visit any other websites.

Before you ask more questions, why don't you try it out first! :)

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

1. Multi-session DVD+RW now made and functioning well. :D
a. It wasn't all plain sailing...
Made a mess of it at 1st because I failed to make sure the Precise-5.6.1 DVD+RW wouldn't be able to find the precisesave or its matching SFS file on the internal HDD.
So...
b. Powered off improperly...
Booted Slacko-5.3.3.1...
Used it to move those files to a Flash Drive...
Re-made the DVD+RW
Re-booted to it.
Made the necessary configurations... [That went well]
Installed some needed packages...
Saved all the changes.

2. A pleasant surprise:
a. The DVD+RW is already set up so I can choose if/when to save during a session [no autosave]...
And...
At shutdown/reboot...
I can choose "to save or not to save".
Plus....
b. As the Precise on the DVD+RW boots...
I can see it telling me all of the saves that it is loading.
NICE! :D
And....
c. Although it's rather slower to boot [than a Puppy using a pupsave on a HDD]...
It's BLAZING FAST to load and run programs during a session. :D

Jasper

#7 Post by Jasper »

Hi Sylvander,

If you have puppy_precise_5.6.1.sfs on your hard drive (top level in any partition) you should find your boot time reduces - by some 20 to 40 seconds.

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

@Jasper
1. I was trying to think of how I could boot my normal Precise-5.6.1-ataflash->[made pmedia=ataflash in the isolinux.cfg file within the ISO] CD-RW, and yet cause no problems for the Precise-5.6.1->[normal=unedited isolinux.cfg file within ISO] on the DVD+RW.

2. Thought that if I moved the precisesave+SFS files to a Flash Drive, I'd only connect it when I want to boot the normal Precise-5.6.1-ataflash.
Unfortunately, Precise-5.6.1-ataflash is ignoring or not seeing those files on the [USB/external] Flash Drive. :(
a. Would it be OK to have the SFS on the internal HDD, and the precisesave on a Flash Drive?
And how do I get them to be seen?
Or...
b. What if I make a Precise-5.6.1 bootable Flash Drive, and use the precisesave made when using the Precise-5.6.1-ataflash CD-RW?
Would that ignore the SFS file on the HDD?

Jasper

#9 Post by Jasper »

Hi Sylvander,

Boot from your new Multi-session-banking-DVD, but with the sfs appropriately placed on your hard drive (which may be at the same location as it was originally) and tell us how much boot time is saved.

You can still boot your old non-banking version of Precise exactly as you did previously will all of the needed files in the same places as they were before you made your banking-DVD.

Sylvander

#10 Post by Sylvander »

1. Moved the precisesave+SFS files back to where they were originally...
a. The CD-RW->"Precise-5.6.1-ataflash" boots as it did originally [i.e. ALMOST->it now gives the spurious warning about not closing cleanly at last shutdown]...
Must now go fix that; I believe I know how.
Used THIS POST to guide me, and I believe I did it right, but unlike when I did this previously, this time it didn't work!
Here's the file content now:

Code: Select all

#this file called from rc.sysinit
#you can edit this file
#When firewall is installed, will append lines to this file...

rm  /etc/.XLOADED
/sbin/sysctl -w kernel/shmmax=200000000
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
fi
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK...
Managed to fix this problem, as follows:
Replaced the precisesave+SFS files on the internal HDD with backup copies I'd saved on an external/USB HDD.
These copies [were identical to those on the Flash Drive, BUT] had never been accessible by any CD/DVD during all of this.
I guess the precisesave copy on the Flash Drive had been messed-with by one of the Precise Puppies on one of the optical disks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But...

b. Now the DVD+RW->"Precise-5.6.1" fails to boot! :(
It just displays a flashing cursor on a black screen [boot halted].

2. I'm wondering if I should make a new multi-session DVD+RW using some Puppy [that I know works on this hardware] that isn't number-1 or 2 Puppy in my stack of CD-RW's.
Then use that DVD+RW->Puppy only for banking, with no other CD-RW or pupsave on the internal HDD.

Jasper

#11 Post by Jasper »

Hi Sylvander,

A DVD+RW will be fine.

Make a new Multi-session-banking-DVD using Precise 5.6.1 (or say, 5.7.1 retro or PAE if you haven't tried that).

Now using say, 5.7.1 PAE make your banking-DVD as before, and do your tweaks then save after choosing reboot (or, if you use the desktop Save Icon, change etc/.XLOADED from true to false using Geany and save - to avoid a spurious error message on rebooting).

Note roughly how long it takes to boot.

Now, copy the 5.7.1 sfs file from your new DVD to any internal hard drive/partition then reboot and compare the boot time with the time already noted.
-------------
As a separate exercise get your non-banking 5.6.1 working as it was.
-------------

Sylvander

#12 Post by Sylvander »

@Jasper
1. "Make a new Multi-session-banking-DVD using Precise 5.6.1"
I've done this twice already...
And the DVD+RW works OK provided I don't allow its Puppy to see/find the previously made precisesave.
And the Precise-5.6.1-ataflash on the CD-RW works OK if I put the precisesave+SFS on the internal HDD, but then the DVD+RW fails to boot.
Is there anything about doing it a 3rd time that would make a difference?

2. "or say, 5.7.1 retro or PAE if you haven't tried that"
I recently made [and then wiped] a Precise-5.7.1 PAE version on a CD-RW.
When it found the 5.6.1 precisesave, it updated it, and that combination then failed to function normally, so I wiped the CD-RW.
Again, I cannot allow the Puppy on the DVD+RW to see/find the [old] 5.6.1 precisesave.

3. "copy the 5.7.1 sfs file from your new DVD to any internal hard drive/partition then reboot"
a. Wouldn't I then have the same problem with 5.7.1 as I'm having now with 5.6.1...
Which would be...
If I try to use the DVD+RW and also the CD-RW...
Each will attempt to use the same precisesave, which they cannot be allowed to do.

b. Presently, with 5.6.1...
The CD-RW finds and uses the precisesave just fine, BUT....
The DVD+RW fails to boot.
Won't 5.7.1 do just the same thing?

Jasper

#13 Post by Jasper »

Hi Sylvander,

You ask - Won't 5.7.1 do just the same thing?

Obviously, I think not, but if you don't try how will either of us know?

I use my Multi-session-CD/DVD, a flash stick with lots of absolute links and my Precise 5.6 sfs file on my internal hard drive to reduce my boot time substantially

Sylvander

#14 Post by Sylvander »

In my case...
The problem is...
At this beginning, at least...
I want to be able to use the DVD+RW for ONLY online banking...
And the ordinary CD-RW [with pupsave] for normal usage.
And it seems that...
If I attempt to use the same Puppy [Precise?] for both...
And the DVD+RW is allowed to find/see the CD-RW's pupsave...
The DVD+RW->Puppy fails to boot.

I'll have a go at Precise-5.7.1 PAE, ASAP, and get back here to report.

Seriously considering switching ALL my Puppies to DVD+RW's. :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

I'm surprised that a multisession Puppy disk will look for anything but swap memory on the hard disk when it boots, much less modify anything on the hard disk without asking. I'd consider that a bug and report it as such.

Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

Flash wrote:I'm surprised that a multisession Puppy disk will look for anything but swap memory on the hard disk when it boots, much less modify anything on the hard disk without asking. I'd consider that a bug and report it as such.
1. I could be wrong, of course, that's just the way it looks to me.
In any case....

2 SUCCESS! :D
I now have 2 fully functioning DVD+RW disks...
1-off Precise-5.7.1 [for general work?][spoke too soon, now not booting, see note below]
1-off Precise-5.6.1 [for online banking?]
I deleted the previous filepair for the CD-RW->Precise-5.6.1= precisesave+SFS.
That appears to have eliminated the problems.
I then copied [into the folder where I deleted the previous files] the SFS files for the 2 above DVD+RW's.
This does indeed speed up the loading of the Puppies quite noticeably.

a. Burned a DVD+RW->Precise-5.7.1, configured it and installed various packages.
Installed Firefox-16.0.1-i686-up; typing this using it.
SaveMyModem [smm] and Thunderbird both functioning.
Xfe, WINE, Foxitreader, PupClockset, Pupsnap, Pwidgets, Netsecurity,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Uh-oh...
Rebooted to save all those session changes...
Save seemed good.
Then the BIOS took longer than usual before it began to boot the DVD...
As soon as the boot began, it went to a flashing cursor on a black screen.
No text displayed.
Here in DVD+RW->Precise-5.6.1, the 5.7.1 DVD won't display on the desktop.
The DVD's LED flashes as the Precise-5.6.1+hardware tried to read the DVD contents, but it never succeeds.
Screwed-up filesystem on the DVD?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b. Re-burned the DVD+RW of the misbehaving Precise-5.6.1, configured it and installed various packages.

3. Not too keen to mess with anything that might introduce problems with these 2 NICE DVD+RW's, but....
Is there any safe/easy test to see if it's possible to move [backup copies of] the 2 deleted files back onto the internal HDD?

Jasper

#17 Post by Jasper »

Hi Sylvander,

My understanding is that now you are only using Precise 5.6.1 with your Multi-session-only-for-banking-DVD and if so, it is my strong opinion there is a zero probabilty than any Precise 5.7.1 problems are in any way connected with your banking-DVD.

If you want to make a copy/backup of your banking-DVD, just load it, then remove the DVD, then put a pristine (or used) DVD+RW in the drive, then burn the 5.6.1 iso using Burniso2CD, them reboot and save.

Before saving, you could copy the 5.6.1 iso into your archive directory as it would then be readily available without being loaded into RAM and so would not increase boot time.

If you have any problems with your banking-DVD I suggest you report that here, but I suggest you post any 5.7.1 problems elsewhere.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

Jasper wrote:...If you want to make a copy/backup of your banking-DVD, just load it, then remove the DVD, put a pristine (or used) DVD+RW in the drive and burn the 5.6.1 iso using Burniso2CD, Them reboot and save.
It's been a while since I cloned a multisession Puppy. If I remember right, I didn't have to shut down. but just click the Save icon on the desktop and my multisession Puppy's configuration was added to the newly burned disk as a saved session.

Jasper

#19 Post by Jasper »

Hi Flash.

You are correct, but I always reboot to test the copy actually works - though I don't recall one ever failed. Also It saves the true/false change which I mentioned above (as Sylvander's trick worked for me when I was using Slacko, but it failed for me with Precise).

My regards

PS It was your enthusiasm for the Multi-session-CD/DVD method that was instrumental in my conversion. I also appreciated three or four of your excellent tips.

Sylvander

#20 Post by Sylvander »

1. I've just discovered it was probably my fault the Precise-5.7.1 DVD+RW multi-session was messed up and would not boot.
I believe I made the mistake of installing a 64-bit package to that 32-bit Puppy. :(
How dumb was that?

2. I've been working on making a DVD+RW multi-session "Lighthouse64-6.02-B2", and it seems I've somehow messed that up too.
It was spending ages never succeeding in loading the only save folder.
I decided to try this because:
a. Lighthouse looks like a quality production.
b. I'd tried it, but I'd like to be able to choose if/when to save or not.
Lighthouse includes a command at startup that disables auto-save only for that session.
The next version will be able to permanently disable auto-save.
Making a multi-session DVD+RW would natively provide that missing feature.
SUPER BONUM! :D

3. Flash wrote:
"It's been a while since I cloned a multisession Puppy. If I remember right, I didn't have to shut down. but just click the Save icon on the desktop and my multisession Puppy's configuration was added to the newly burned disk as a saved session."
Reading that felt mind-expanding! 8)
What a GREAT thing to be able to do.
I had failed to understand when Jasper said almost the same thing; I now understand what he said.

4. Jasper wrote:
a. "Sylvander's trick worked for me..."
What trick was that?

b. "Before saving, you could copy the 5.6.1 iso into your archive directory as it would then be readily available without being loaded into RAM and so would not increase boot time."
Huh?
I don't understand this.
What is my archive directory?
Are you saying I should store the iso file somewhere OUTSIDE of the multi-session's file system on the DVD?
So that it doesn't increase the time taken to load the OS?
I would ALWAYS do that anyway as a matter of course.
I keep all my iso files on an external [USB] HDD.