script to make java.sfs

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Marley

#16 Post by Marley »

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the bit of a delay in posting - I got the java up and running - wanted to post that - worked fine.

I was trying to sign up for web testing but though the java worked and was recognized by the site for some reason I couldn't download their software. I'm not sure if it had something to do with my computer - they were a site whose security wasn't high enough for seamonkey or java security. I put them on the exception list but still their end said there was a problem.

I'm a bit suspicious of them at this point! Though if anyone knows why this might not have happened and could have been something on my end - I can tend to be a bit suspicious - like they want to track my every move or something (and you ask - why would I test websites then . . . .hmmmm good point!) :lol:

But in case for other reasons I should know something about this kind of situation I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you for the package, Uten - it does work great.

watchdog

#17 Post by watchdog »

Have you restarted the browser after updating exception.sites?

Marley

#18 Post by Marley »

Thank you Watchdog!

No, I hadn't - but I did that after your suggestion and it worked!

The software loaded no problem - again many thanks!

:D

oh and ps to Uten - I forgot to thank you for the link to the avatar site - I downloaded a few and maybe I'll put one up here one day when I can choose which one :)

gcmartin

#19 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Marley and others following this thread.

Many JAVA apps which run in PUPPY Linux are shared at this JAVA APPs thread.

Many apps are there which run in all Puppy, Apple, and Microsoft. JAVA afford this ability for its apps to run everywhere (Yes, I know many already know this).

Hope this info, of thread with apps tested by members, is helpful.

Marley

#20 Post by Marley »

Hello jcmartin,
JAVA afford this ability for its apps to run everywhere
I did not know this. Does that mean you can just download a java app and it will work on Puppy? Would I have to do something to make it work?

I would love to get an analog clock for my desktop - I saw there are java ones - not in the thread list you posted (thank you for that link - there are other goodies there that are very interesting to me! - like candy - all of this!) but other places online - like this one (not definitely this one but it's one I've seen) -

http://its-analog-digital-clock.software.informer.com/

I am more and more happy that this lovely little app by uten worked so easily and well! (like a kid with candy, as I said, a bit greedy I am, maybe! :oops: )

musher0

#21 Post by musher0 »

You can download the most recent 32-bit JRE (as of this writing) from:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#848207
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

gcmartin

JAVA apps run everywhere there is JAVA

#22 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @Marley. And, my apologies for this delayed response.

Basically, JAVA apps are to run across platforms; when it got is start there was Windows and Apple. It expanded and is known to run on those, plus, Unix, Linux, Android, etc.

Merely, you need to have JAVA subsystem installed, AND some PUPs have it builtin to their system. Then, merely click or any JAVA app in the PUP's filemanager(s). Or, in the terminal on PUPPY, launch JAVA targeting your specific JAVA app you have (typical of JAVA apps, they end with the ".jar" extension).

Hope this helps.