How to use a Toughbook's trackpad and touchscreen?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
HBlaine

How to use a Toughbook's trackpad and touchscreen?

#1 Post by HBlaine »

Yep, I have a Panasonic Toughbook, CF 29-EWKGZKM with a Pentium M, non-PAE. Still has WinXP on it, and I want to change that badly.

The best choice seems to be Puppy, and I've livebooted Precise 5.6.1 on it with no problem at all. Sound and wireless picked up flawlessly. My problem is the trackpad, and (of course) the touchscreen.

The trackpad is grotesquely sluggish at times. At times, it's as if the "sensitivity" is off. I have monkeyed with it in XP over and over again, and am often reduced to simply using the touchscreen to either get the cursor where I I want it on the screen, or to launch programs, etc.

When I'm in Puppy, the trackpad seems to react even worse. And I can't get into anything for the trackpad in the control panel, as it gives me an error, and informs me that the "synaptic drivers" can't be found...

I did a search in Package Manager, and found a "gsynaptic" package (a sort of control panel) which seems to be what I'm looking for. (PPM also informs me that a "synaptic driver" is already installed.) I was just wondering if anyone else had used this successfully with a Toughbook. I'm thinking strongly about doing a frugal install to the CF-29's HD, and it would be nice to have a fully functional trackpad...

As for the touchscreen, I ran across a reference somewhere that there used to be some sort of calibration software available in the 'buntu repositories, but I haven't gotten round to looking for it. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge/experience with that...

Thanks all!