Puppy Save file on NTFS?

Booting, installing, newbie
unicode2CP

Puppy Save file on NTFS?

#1 Post by unicode2CP »

Hi,
Is it possible to set save destination on NTFS partition of internal HDD?
Can someone explain me procedure if possible.
I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 installed on usb flash stick. Everything is fine except the part of saving which takes too long on my flash stick, so that's the reason why I would like to be able to save on HDD partition directly (increase saving speed).
When I was been offered to choose save destination, I only get my USB flash stick listed without other options like hard disk partitons (NTFS).

Please, help me.
Best regards.

DPUP5520

#2 Post by DPUP5520 »

Are you talking about saving files or the savefile for your install? As long as your harddrive is mounted you should be able to save files directly to your harddrive by going to /mnt/sda1 or whatever it's listed as. As for saving your savefile it should present you with an option to save directly to the harddrive on your first save, however honestly I've always seen my saves load and save quite a bit faster on my flash drives.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69651][b][i]PupRescue 2.5[/i][/b][/url]
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72178][b][i]Puppy Crypt 528[/i][/b][/url]

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Hello.

Yes it is possible to save to NTFS partition.
Two conditions :
1) it must be freshly defragged.(in Window)
2) I think you must first create on the NTFS an empty file with the name of the pup_save file. (in Window). I'm not sure if Linux can create a file in NTFS (or is it FREEDos?).

BFN
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mill0001

#4 Post by mill0001 »

Hi, does your hdd show up on the desktop as sda(something). If so just click on it to open it, next click on your usb drive to open it. Then just drag and drop your savefile from usb to harddrive and select "copy". Then just rename the save file on your usb drive. Now reboot, Puppy should now find the savefile on the hdd and boot up just fine. You might then want to move the renamed one off the usb to the harddrive (make a folder for it first).Now you have a backup copy if needed.

duke93535

#5 Post by duke93535 »

I think your solution may be addressed in this tread by Sylvander’s post. It works for me. You may or not have to play with the PuppyPin, so keep a backup copy of /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin first. I switch between a hard drive frugal and the usbflash, using the same savefile on the ntfs hard drive partition.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77495

unicode2CP

#6 Post by unicode2CP »

Thank you for you answers guys, but my problem is still present.

@ DPUP5520
I'm taking about save file (lupusave-name.2fs) for my install. I don't get any other options except my usb flash stick.

@ musher0
Nope, it dosn't work.

@ mill0001
Yes, my HDD shows up on the desktop as SDA. I already try the procedure you've explained, but it doesn't work because after restarting Puppy is not detecting lupusave on HDD.

@ duke93535
Well I'm beginner so I'm not completely sure if I did understand you. I was open syslinux.cfg file from flash stick and change pmedia=usbflash into pmedia=ataflash. But lupusave on HDD was still not been detected. I didn't understand part about "PuppyPin" file.

duke93535

#7 Post by duke93535 »

I am not sure, if you have made a copy of your save file on the ntfs partition?

How to copy save file.

1. When you’re loading the usb flash drive at first pause and logo screen, type “puppy pfix=ram

musher0

#8 Post by musher0 »

musher0 wrote:Hello.

Yes it is possible to save to NTFS partition.
Two conditions :
1) it must be freshly defragged.(in Window)
2) I think you must first create on the NTFS an empty file with the name of the pup_save file. (in Window). I'm not sure if Linux can create a file in NTFS (or is it FREEDos?).

BFN
My # 2 is wrong. I checked, and I can create a pup-save file with Puppy on a NTFS partition without any hassle. I had that confused with a save-partition utility in FreeDOS (Save-Part) which requires one to create an empty file beforehand if saving chunks of a partition on a NTFS drive.

Sorry about that.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

I have promised to not try to help people but
seeing how this goes no where :) I give it a try.

Edit based on the response from OP
and that he don't want frugal I step down.

My confused brain did humor unintentionally.
rcrsn51 is amongst the best to give advice
so I would go for what he suggest.
Last edited by nooby on Sun 15 Apr 2012, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

unicode2CP

#10 Post by unicode2CP »

@ duke93535
You can be sure that I made copy of save file on ntfs partition, I'm not such a noob. I'm not able to test explained procedure with "puppy pfix=flash" because flash installation of Puppy has not pause/logo screen but starts boot process immediately.

@ musher0
No problem ;)

@ nooby
Some parts of your post I'm not going to uderstand seriously, I guess you just love the humor ;)
I'm not able to stop boot process, hitting the "e" key doesn't help. Pause/logo screen is not present on flash installation. I'm not able to boot from CD on that computer beacuse CD drive is broken.

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Puppy likes to find its save file in the same location as the main sfs file. Try this:

1. Copy the three core Puppy files to the NTFS partition of your hard drive- vmlinuz, initrd.gz, lupuxxx.sfs.

2. Go to the flash drive and open the file syslinux.cfg in a text editor. Change "pmedia=usbflash" to "pmedia=atahd".

3. Reboot. This time, you should be asked to create a save file on the hard drive.

Please post your syslinux.cfg file here so we can see it.

duke93535

#12 Post by duke93535 »

In simple terms, rcrsn51 is almost having you make a frugal install.

Obviously we are not dealing with a run of the mill flash drive install with not having a pause. How did you make your install to the flash drive?

If you made your copy of the save file while using it, this is not generally recommended. Something is not normal or corrupt with your install and this maybe the reason the ataflash modification is not working for you. Please post your xxxxxxx.cfg file as rcrsn51 has suggested.

unicode2CP

#13 Post by unicode2CP »

@ rcrsn51
Thanks for help but I dont' want a frugal install.

@ duke93535
I made my install with "BootFlash install Puppy to USB". You gave me idea to try "Puppy universal installer" and now I have pause/logo screen. Thanks for that, but I'm still not able to load save file from NTFS partition, I was copied it from flash stick on NTFS partition with Puppy using "puppy pfix=ram" parameter.

Here's my previous syslinux.cfg file content:

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash
Here's current syslinux.cfg file content:

Code: Select all

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.gz pmedia=usbflash pfix=copy
In both cases I was also use altered syslinux.cfg file with "pmedia=usbflash" changed into "pmedia=ataflash". But that didn't help either.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

unicode2CP wrote:@ rcrsn51
Too bad. I tested my method in Lupu and it did exactly what you want.

Notice that my method continues to boot off the flash drive. It just accesses the core files off the hard drive. Then it will put the save file there too.

duke93535

#15 Post by duke93535 »

unicode2CP:

I downloaded Lupu 528.005 and was able feel your pain on this problem. I say earlier that I was running Wary 5.1.1 on a usb flash drive and it works. The newer Woof build must have this problem, because I tried it with Racy 5.3 same story.

I had a frugal install of 528 and with the ataflash mod it would follow my frugal install save file to any partition that I placed it on. Of coarse, that defeats your idea.

Sorry, duke

unicode2CP

#16 Post by unicode2CP »

Well, I give up. Made standard frugal install of Lupus and that's it. As duke93535 said, there is no way to realize my idea through standard flash install. Seems like user bigpup was also gave answer on my problem/idea here.

I must say big Thank you to all of you guys for trying to help me, really appreciate that.
Best regards.

mahaju

#17 Post by mahaju »

I'm sorry if the discussion is over but I didn't understand this thing
I thought only frugal install had sav file

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

mahaju wrote:
I'm sorry if the discussion is over but I didn't understand this thing
I thought only frugal install had sav file

Maybe he intend to say that he does not want to do it on HD
and then .. I just guess. The words are kind of ambiguous indeed.

Is it safe to say that the developer of Puppy Linux
Barry Kauler actually do prefer that one do frugal install?
I had that impression but I am very biased indeed.

mahaju

#19 Post by mahaju »

nooby wrote: Is it safe to say that the developer of Puppy Linux
Barry Kauler actually do prefer that one do frugal install?
I don't know about that but besides being lightweight frugal install capability was the main reason why I liked puppy
I came to puppy because of it's light weight
I stuck with puppy because of frugal install

nooby

#20 Post by nooby »

My very biased view based on some three to four years
of daily active on the forum some some 75% do use frugal install
and those who do use full install have problem finding people
who can help them with problems with those installs because
very few of them are active in answering questions.

But that is totally subjective I have no statistics and I am very biased.
I think frugal install is a very good thing to linux. So practical.