Ipod manager for Slacko 5.5?

Booting, installing, newbie
ksjs

Ipod manager for Slacko 5.5?

#1 Post by ksjs »

Hello,

I'd like to be able to manage music on my ipod (Nano 1st gen). Can anyone suggest something 'out of the box' that actually works? None of the software in the updated repositories seems to work (Exaile, Amarok, Clementine and GTKpod for example). I've also searched for pets too and did try an Exaile one including its ipod plugin but no success.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

gtkpod 2.0.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59183

Your Gen1 Nano is one of the "conventional" iPod models. See my instructions in the first paragraph of the second post.

ksjs

#3 Post by ksjs »

Thanks for quick reply - I'm pretty sure I tried this and it didn't work but I will give it another go and report back...

ksjs

#4 Post by ksjs »

ksjs wrote:Thanks for quick reply - I'm pretty sure I tried this and it didn't work but I will give it another go and report back...
OK, I've looked at your post and I remember what happened: I installed the following

http://minipc.org/ipup/download/gtkpod-2.0.2.pet 2.6 MB
http://minipc.org/ipup/download/libanju ... Puppy5.pet 2.1 MB

I then tried to run gtkpod and nothing happened.

Do I need to install anything else besides these 2 pets? For example you refer to underlying libraries in the first post, are these included in the pets?

I've only recently started using Slacko and I'm not familiar with dependencies etc so please assume very little knowledge on my part if giving any installation instructions.

Thanks!

tempestuous

#5 Post by tempestuous »

For Slacko, this package requires additional libraries, as found later in the thread, on page 4 -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 479#584479

And especially at the initial stages, it's worth launching the application from the commandline, so you can see any potential error messages -

Code: Select all

gtkpod

ksjs

#6 Post by ksjs »

tempestuous wrote:For Slacko, this package requires additional libraries, as found later in the thread, on page 4 -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 479#584479

And especially at the initial stages, it's worth launching the application from the commandline, so you can see any potential error messages -

gtkpod
Thanks for your help. I downloaded and installed:

gtkpod-2.0.2.pet
gtkpod-Slacko-libs.pet
libanjuta-1.0-Puppy5.pet

I ran gtkpod from the command line and got the following error: "error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I'll have a search and see if I can locate this / install it but any suggestions for where to look very welcome.

ksjs

#7 Post by ksjs »

I already have

libgnutls.so
libgnutls.so.28

installed.

I assume there is no way to use either of these? I have no idea if they're in any way relevant to the file gtkpod needs.

tempestuous

#8 Post by tempestuous »

The problem is that Puppy's libraries are constantly being upgraded.
It generally works to just create a symlink of the older library (libgnutls.so.26) to the new library (libgnutls.so.28.10.2)

First get into the correct directory -

cd /usr/lib
Then do this -

ln -s libgnutls.so.28.10.2 libgnutls.so.26
Now launch gtkpod again. You may need to do this for several libraries.

ksjs

#9 Post by ksjs »

Thanks for that but I did the following and it worked:

- uninstall gtkpod-2.0.2.pet
- install gtkpod-2.0.2-April2012.pet

In other words I am using the more up to date version and this opens and runs fine. I have no cover art or details editor however as I need libcurl-gnutls.so.4 according to the 2 error messages I'm getting.

I do have libcurl.so.4 - can I do any sort of link as you suggest above?

I really appreciate your help and time by the way - I've been using Slacko for about a month now and while it hasn't been a huge priority I have intermittently tried the various repositories without success for a working ipod manager. I'm glad to get this up and running!

ksjs

#10 Post by ksjs »

Anyone - any suggestions where I can find libcurl-gnutls.so.4?

I think I need this to get cover art working in gtkpod.

Thanks.

Semme

#11 Post by Semme »

If it's what you think you need, unpack the contents to /usr/lib. I'd 'ldconfig' afterwards but, you might not need/have it.

According to it's readme:
For opengl coverart display (clarity) plugin: clutter-gtk
Search Pups pacman for clutter. If it's not there, there's a copy here.

What I don't know is whether your Gtkpod was built with support?
Attachments
libcurl3-gnutls.tar.gz
(154.08 KiB) Downloaded 224 times