X-precise-2.4 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

#346 Post by Geoffrey »

moonskin wrote:I've done a tiny bit of cross breeding :wink: by adding whisker menu to X-Precise.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Regards
Graham
I'm pretty sure that whisker is already in the panel add on menu, which had the source code edited so as to replace the user name" root " with " X-Precise " instead.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

moonskin

#347 Post by moonskin »

Doh!

I certainly missed that one. Thanks Geoffrey.

Still, I learned some new tricks. :)
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(71.99 KiB) Downloaded 1675 times

Newbie33

I love X Precise!

#348 Post by Newbie33 »

Hi, I have been reading this site for a few hours, and have become extremely dis-appointed that the support for X - precise will end.

X Precise 2.0 is by far the best OS I have ever used.
It has it's quirks, but I still love it.
It's very stable and I really don;t want to lose it.

the only fault I have with it is that Firefox will jam my whole system if I try to load a large webpage, and my sound just refuses to work with Skype.

Other than that. I love it.

However since this is the X Precise thread, I wondered if you would re-consider supporting it?

I have some many requests, that I feel bad for asking them when you are considering abandoning X precise.

yet, I will still post them on the off-chance that someone may decide to either help me, or re-support the OS.

Basically I have been looking for ways to install torchat.
I find it's the easiest and best massaging service, yet, I can never get it to install on X precise.

my second idea revolved around full USB encryption. I was going to ask for this feature to be included in future releases or maybe a pet download if possible.

and my other idea was a security based x - precise.

one which runs TOR and maybe had a few other NSA proof tools.

(I also had serious problems trying to install the latest version of TOR>

I know I'm probably asking a dead thread now the X Precise will be disbanded. but I had to ask..

rg66

#349 Post by rg66 »

@ Newbie33

I'm glad you like X-precise, thanks for kind words.

I've been contemplating doing an update BUT, it would probably only be security updates like bash, wget, openssl, firefox and a few small changes. No promises though.

What it really needs is Xfce to be re-compiled and built from scratch but that's most likely not going to happen. I would recommend using X-slacko as it is much newer and still being developed.

As far as skype goes, OscarTalks has skype pets and sfs's for precise. I would use this one: skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-precise @ http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Newbie33

#350 Post by Newbie33 »

anks I wasn;t expecting such a friendly reply.

I found the newest skype recently, so that solved that problem.

My only concern with the slako version is it hs issues with AMD and some intel processor.
I am not sure if X precise has these issues but I personally have never run into this problem (so far).
However, since I often use puppy for connecting to machines whilst I;m travelling. the compatability is a little important to me.
(and would be really important if I come across a non compatable machine.

Anways, thats something for me to complain about some other time.

I would like to ask however, Do you know of a program (with a GUI) that can fully encrypt USB sticks? this is particualrly useful so some of the office ocuments I carry around. and the office files are far to large to keep in my save sfs file. Yet, I still have never really found a solution to this problem

rg66

#351 Post by rg66 »

X-slacko doesn't have Intel/AMD issues since I re-compiled Xfce. It's actually X-precise that still has them, but it's only old P3 and Athlon processors such as XP-1500+ etc....

Don't know of any USB encryption gui, X-precise has bcrypt gui included but is hidden from menu. Go to /usr/share/applications > Bcrypt-file-encryption. It only does individual files though.

mistfire

#352 Post by mistfire »

does x-precise and x-slacko can read and write hard drives with GPT style partitions? does x-slacko works on intel GMA 3600 like x-precise does using modesetting?

oldyeller

#353 Post by oldyeller »

Hi all,

Is all the security fixes in the 2.4; bash wget and openssl

Cheers

rg66

#354 Post by rg66 »

oldyeller wrote:Hi all,

Is all the security fixes in the 2.4; bash wget and openssl

Cheers
No, they should be the same versions as the original precise.

Pelo

Xfmedia

#355 Post by Pelo »

X-precise musc more complete than X-tahr quite empty.
However when you go to a chinese restaurant, you need some chinese dishes, when i run a Puppy XFCE i need XFCE applications.
Xfmedia installed, and runs, plays my songs mp3
Install pet xinelib from Slacko here
How can I play my dvds with Parole? They don't show up under Media>DVD (mounted or not). I've loaded gst-plugins-base, good, bad, ugly, ffmpeg.
if dvd is encrypted yes you need libdvdcss
Xnoise can search lyrics, however your song must be famous.
Attachments
Xnoise.jpg
XFCE puppy is able to run XFCE apps !
(52.38 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 09 Aug 2016, 04:37, edited 7 times in total.

Pelo

X-precise : a job to do

#356 Post by Pelo »

Au Boulot la Puppy !
Import woof buitin data in Gnumeric Click the blue and watch how a user get the puppy working.. doing things, a last !

Pelo

With x-precise a newbie will have applications to play,

#357 Post by Pelo »

X-precise is not perfect sure, but a newbie will have applications to play,
Puppy buiders use to zap to new Puppies once one is working. For help, unfortunately, they seldom come back, like artists.
Installing libdvdcss solved it., yes with but other tiny Linux OS. Would Puppy Linux fail ?
Attachments
1998.jpg
Parole with X-precise, i need libdvdcss !
(65.24 KiB) Downloaded 316 times