X-precise-2.4 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

Re: How to stop screen blanking (watching movies, etc)

#211 Post by rg66 »

Geoffrey wrote:
dennis-slacko531 wrote:I use X-precise-2.2 pretty much all the time. I think it's necessary today to cut off the automatic "screensaver" mode, but I've yet to find it. Have a great weekend!!
I didn't see anything in the menu to do that, but you can do it in terminal, " xset +dpms " turns it on and " xset -dpms " turns it off.
That will turn off dpms (energy star), but you also need to turn off screen blanking.

Code: Select all

xset s off
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

umair

#212 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: Good to hear you got it working. It sounds like Wine is over writing something in LibreOffice with a older version. What I would try is to boot without a savefile, load wine manually with SFS-load and then load the newer LibreOffice to see if it and Wine work ok.
I would think SFS's are loaded alphabetically or maybe by order in SFS-load. If this works you could try renaming the Wine SFS to something like aWine or whatever so it loads first, or making sure Wine is in the SFS-load list first.
Just guessing though.
@ rg66:
Tried that, still have a same problem.

umair

#213 Post by umair »

umair wrote:
rg66 wrote: Good to hear you got it working. It sounds like Wine is over writing something in LibreOffice with a older version. What I would try is to boot without a savefile, load wine manually with SFS-load and then load the newer LibreOffice to see if it and Wine work ok.
I would think SFS's are loaded alphabetically or maybe by order in SFS-load. If this works you could try renaming the Wine SFS to something like aWine or whatever so it loads first, or making sure Wine is in the SFS-load list first.
Just guessing though.
@ rg66:
Tried that, still have a same problem.
Hi rg66: I downloaded the openoffice 4. Working Superbly alongwith openoffice quick starter. Here is the screenshot ;) :
(UMAIR)
Attachments
Screenshot4.jpg
(79.52 KiB) Downloaded 780 times

umair

#214 Post by umair »

hi rg66 :
I am using X-Precise for more thn three months. Working nicely without any problem. Yesturday I was deleting some of my personal files from the home folder (I am using FRUGAL Installation). After reboot now I am not able to access that partition. Posting the screesnhot. Any idea about that ?
Thanks in Advance.
(UMAIR)
Attachments
screen.jpg
(40.15 KiB) Downloaded 513 times

rg66

#215 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:hi rg66 :
I am using X-Precise for more thn three months. Working nicely without any problem. Yesturday I was deleting some of my personal files from the home folder (I am using FRUGAL Installation). After reboot now I am not able to access that partition. Posting the screesnhot. Any idea about that ?
Thanks in Advance.
(UMAIR)
Got me on that one. Can you access the partition if booting into RAM? Is it an ntfs partition? If so you may need to do a "chkdsk /f" on a windows machine.

It might be looking for fsckme.flg and it's not there or corrupted. Are you using grub4dos? If so does the precise entry have "pfix=fsck"? Maybe get rid of that and try again.

Just guessing though.

umair

#216 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: Got me on that one. Can you access the partition if booting into RAM? Is it an ntfs partition? If so you may need to do a "chkdsk /f" on a windows machine.
It might be looking for fsckme.flg and it's not there or corrupted. Are you using grub4dos? If so does the precise entry have "pfix=fsck"? Maybe get rid of that and try again.
Just guessing though.
Hi rg66:
Its NTFS Partition and I am using GRUB4DOS. I will try as per your guidlines and update you soon.
Thanx
(UMAIR)

umair

#217 Post by umair »

umair wrote:
rg66 wrote: Got me on that one. Can you access the partition if booting into RAM? Is it an ntfs partition? If so you may need to do a "chkdsk /f" on a windows machine.
Just guessing though.
Hi rg66:
Its NTFS Partition and I am using GRUB4DOS. I will try as per your guidlines and update you soon.
Thanx
(UMAIR)
Hi rg66:
I removed the pfix=fsck entry from the menu list but the result was same. After that I tried "chkdsk/f" from windows, restarted that system. Everything goes fine. Now I can access the root partition (which is NTFS) without any issue.
Thanks for the help.
(UMAIR)

baszek

#218 Post by baszek »

Can I use pets from carolina in newest x-precise 2.2 ? There are lot of them here: http://www.smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/

baszek

#219 Post by baszek »

Can I use pets from carolina in newest x-precise 2.2 ? There are lot of them here: http://www.smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/

pchan

#220 Post by pchan »

x- precise is my most used puppy. I cannot express how much i love the feature - that gives me a choice "to save or not save" when i shutdown.

great THANKS to rg66!

Wish I was rich enough to send donations for your work.

Really appreciate x-puppy precise!

rg66

#221 Post by rg66 »

baszek wrote:Can I use pets from carolina in newest x-precise 2.2 ? There are lot of them here: http://www.smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packages-carolina/
Some will work, some won't. You can try them in RAM so you don't mess up your savefile.
pchan wrote:Wish I was rich enough to send donations for your work.
Me too! :wink: Glad you like it.

baszek

#222 Post by baszek »

So how do you install new app ? Do you compile app specially to X-precise ?
I am currently installing apps from puppy package manager.

pchan

#223 Post by pchan »

rg66 ,

i need to ask one thing. I am not an expert on computers.

When I install and start xprecise from pendrive, I am able to have this feature - save or not save - at shutdown time.

When i install and start xprecise from external hard disk, I am unable to get this feature - save or don't save - at shutdown time.

Is there anything I can do in order to get this _ save or don't save -feature on my external hard disk installation of xprecise so that it will work just like my usb pendrive?

Thanks

rg66

#224 Post by rg66 »

baszek wrote:So how do you install new app ? Do you compile app specially to X-precise ?
I am currently installing apps from puppy package manager.
The apps from package manager are made for precise. The ones in Carolina repo were compiled in Carolina for Carolina.

rg66

#225 Post by rg66 »

pchan wrote:rg66 ,

i need to ask one thing. I am not an expert on computers.

When I install and start xprecise from pendrive, I am able to have this feature - save or not save - at shutdown time.

When i install and start xprecise from external hard disk, I am unable to get this feature - save or don't save - at shutdown time.

Is there anything I can do in order to get this _ save or don't save -feature on my external hard disk installation of xprecise so that it will work just like my usb pendrive?

Thanks
To get that to work from a harddrive change menu.lst entry to pmedia=ataflash

pchan

#226 Post by pchan »

rg66 wrote:
To get that to work from a harddrive change menu.lst entry to pmedia=ataflash

rg66,

THANK YOU SO SO MUCH! IT WORKED MARVELOUSLY!

What a great puppy - x-precise is!

I have used saluki, puppy 4.31, lxpup, macpup, carolina, slacko, exprimo, lucid, ....

All were great.

But x-precise has to be a favorite among all! It simply works and never gave me any trouble especially with the 'save or don't save feature' and a few other features, it is so easy to use and manage (my personal opinion and taste).

baszek

#227 Post by baszek »

Is it possible to load save file in x-precise from hard drive (it was possible with normal 5.7.1 precise). I have created folder with x-precise save file on my hard drive (sda1/precise/xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs) but it looks like it only searches my bootable usb. (In precise when there was no save file on pendrive it was starting to search on hard drive.)

I have only 3 usb ports and putting save file on hard drive will allow me to eject it and use it for my usb card with external antenna.

rg66 wrote:The apps from package manager are made for precise. The ones in Carolina repo were compiled in Carolina for Carolina.
By the way I was using puppy package manager to install newest chromium, skype and some other app --- they are all working ok in x-precise.

rg66

#228 Post by rg66 »

baszek wrote:Is it possible to load save file in x-precise from hard drive (it was possible with normal 5.7.1 precise). I have created folder with x-precise save file on my hard drive (sda1/precise/xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs) but it looks like it only searches my bootable usb. (In precise when there was no save file on pendrive it was starting to search on hard drive.)
Not too sure, I did notice that when you make a savefile you can choose the partition and then the directory where to have your savefile.

Try this, boot into RAM and make a new savefile saving to sda1/precise and use the same name as your current one. Copy your current savefile there overwriting the other one and reboot with your USB savefile as xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs.bak or something so it doesn't load and see if that works.

baszek

#229 Post by baszek »

rg66 wrote:
baszek wrote:Is it possible to load save file in x-precise from hard drive (it was possible with normal 5.7.1 precise). I have created folder with x-precise save file on my hard drive (sda1/precise/xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs) but it looks like it only searches my bootable usb. (In precise when there was no save file on pendrive it was starting to search on hard drive.)
Not too sure, I did notice that when you make a savefile you can choose the partition and then the directory where to have your savefile.

Try this, boot into RAM and make a new savefile saving to sda1/precise and use the same name as your current one. Copy your current savefile there overwriting the other one and reboot with your USB savefile as xprecisesave-mcmXprecise.4fs.bak or something so it doesn't load and see if that works.
I made as you said but it does not work.

rcrsn51

#230 Post by rcrsn51 »

baszek wrote:I made as you said but it does not work.
Here is a procedure that has worked on other Puppies.

1. Put your savefile somewhere on the hard drive.

2. Copy the main sfs file onto the hard drive in the same location as the savefile.

3. Mount your flash drive and locate the file syslinux.cfg. Open it in a text editor.

4. Change "pmedia=usbflash" to "pmedia=cd"

5. Save and reboot.

The "pmedia=cd" option is Puppy's most versatile search method and can usually find the other files.