X-precise-2.4 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#181 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote: Just a quick question: I want to change the text and background color of popup window screen: How I can do that?
Thanks in Advance.
(UMAIR)
You can change theme by going to Control Panel > Desktop > Notifications. You can change text color by editing the gtkrc file in /usr/share/themes/pick a color/xfce-notify-4.0/gtkrc, line 21, fg[NORMAL] = "#000000". You could also use one as a template and create your own custom theme.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

umair

#182 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: You can change theme by going to Control Panel > Desktop > Notifications. You can change text color by editing the gtkrc file in /usr/share/themes/pick a color/xfce-notify-4.0/gtkrc, line 21, fg[NORMAL] = "#000000". You could also use one as a template and create your own custom theme.
Thanks for a quick response.
Worked Nicely.
Keep it up ;)

pchan

#183 Post by pchan »

After using most of the puppies, I really like x-precise 2.2 by rg66 very much.

But I know that my opinion will not have much impact because i have very little knowledge about linux. I am also not able to contribute any knowledge to help in development of softwares or development of the xprecise puppy.

I just know that x-precise is something that works very well for me. So, in my opinion, rg66 has done a very good work in developing xprecise 2.2. and came up with one of the BEST puppy linux ever made.

In fact, I like it more than even the great Saluki or Carolina. Don't mean to say that Saluki and Carolina are not good. I have used Saluki and Carolina and they worked very well and gave a glimpse of how puppy linux can have both performance as well as the convenient features found in modern operating system yet remain light on resources.

But for xfce puppies, my vote aat the moment goes to xprecise 2.2.

(As far as Slacko based puppy is concern, my vote is for peebee's lxpup 13.10-2c. Yes, I still keep slacko whenever I want to experience something that is close to what puppy linux used to be. But when I want something that gives am the confidence that it is ready to handle any type of challenges of modern hardware systems, psychologically, I tend to fire up a precise - based puppy - and xprecise is to me the best.)

Thanks so much rg66 for x precise 2.2! Thanks especially for making it possible for users to choose whether to save or not save when shutting down. It is a very wise thing to do and it will help us non technical users to have more confident in using puppy linux. In the past, I have damaged my save files so many times because I downloaded and installed something not suitable and when it comes to shutdown time, I can't stop puppy from saving my mismanaged session.

pchan

dennis-slacko531

Linux eye candy Is Lnux.com

#184 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

Pchan, you :lol: made my day! I started with luki 06 and am mirroring X-precise-2.2 as my favorite pup!!

I'd sure appreciate your thoughts of my website.

http://www.Lnux.com

rg66

#185 Post by rg66 »

Thanks pchan and dennis-slacko531, good to know X-precise is appreciated.

umair

#186 Post by umair »

hi rg66:
I must say that x-precise is one of the best version of Puppy Which I Used. I have a question. I installed wine from PPM in X-Precise. Everything is working fine i.e. I can install and run windows program without any problem. The problem is that there is no menu entry for wine in the menu where I can configure the wine application.
Thnx in Advance.
UMAIR

rg66

#187 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:hi rg66:
I must say that x-precise is one of the best version of Puppy Which I Used. I have a question. I installed wine from PPM in X-Precise. Everything is working fine i.e. I can install and run windows program without any problem. The problem is that there is no menu entry for wine in the menu where I can configure the wine application.
Thnx in Advance.
UMAIR
Check Control Panel to see if there are entries there. If not, look in usr/share/applications and see if there are .desktop files and if so have a look at "Categories=" and let me know what they are.

umair

#188 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: Check Control Panel to see if there are entries there. If not, look in usr/share/applications and see if there are .desktop files and if so have a look at "Categories=" and let me know what they are.
rg66:
I found it in usr/share/applications. But why these entries are not available through control panel or xfce menu? anyhow Thanks for prompt reply.
UMAIR

rg66

#189 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:[rg66:
I found it in usr/share/applications. But why these entries are not available through control panel or xfce menu? anyhow Thanks for prompt reply.
UMAIR
Open it in geany and tell me what " Categories=" says

pchan

Re: Linux eye candy Is Lnux.com

#190 Post by pchan »

in your website wrote:These are in no particular order except the first two are favorites. 1.) XPRECISE ....2.) ......
Hi dennis-slacko531 ,

Good to know that there are others who appreciate x=precise 2.2 and I am not alone. Even better is that from your website, you appear to be very familiar with the linux os and puppy.

It is also interesting that the other favourite of yours is slacko puppy. Same conclusion over here!

Nice mirror website to help others learn about puppy linux!

Cheers!

umair

#191 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: Open it in geany and tell me what " Categories=" says
rg66:
There is no .desktop file in /usr/share/applications directory. Can you explain in detail please...

rg66

#192 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:rg66:
There is no .desktop file in /usr/share/applications directory. Can you explain in detail please...
Right click the wine file in /usr/share/applications and select open with default text editor, you'll see the "Categories=" line.You'll see in the title bar of geany it will be called something.desktop.

umair

#193 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: Right click the wine file in /usr/share/applications and select open with default text editor, you'll see the "Categories=" line.You'll see in the title bar of geany it will be called something.desktop.
I open the 02 files (1. q4wine 2. wine program loader) in Geany. Found the "Categories" entry in q4wine file. No such option is visible in wine loader file. Posting the screenshots:-
UMAIR
Attachments
Screenshot-1.jpeg
(94.36 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
Screenshot.jpeg
(97.11 KiB) Downloaded 497 times

rg66

#194 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:I open the 02 files (1. q4wine 2. wine program loader) in Geany. Found the "Categories" entry in q4wine file. No such option is visible in wine loader file. Posting the screenshots:-
UMAIR
Ok, that explains why there were no menu entries. One doesn't have one and "X-Utility-Sub" isn't a category in Lina.

You can add/change "Categories=" to put them where you want. Categories=System will put them in the app menu under system as an example. Go to /etc/xdg/menus and have a look at control-panel.menu and xfce-applications.menu, you'll see the menu name and categories.

Example

Code: Select all

<Menu>
    <Name>System</Name>
    <Directory>Puppy-System.directory</Directory>
    <Include>
      <Category>Monitor</Category>
      <Category>Security</Category>
      <Category>PackageManager</Category>
      <Category>System</Category>
    </Include>
  </Menu>
You can also add categories to the .menu files as well.

umair

#195 Post by umair »

@rg66:
Thanks a lot for sharing very useful information :) .
UMAIR

umair

#196 Post by umair »

@rg66:
Do you have any future plans to make x-precise with fully functional xfce4 menu settings and all other stuff as you did in carolina? I personally think that It would be nice addition. Carolina is one of the best puppy variant, no doubt about that but It would be really better if x-precise is also available alongwith all necessary stuff like carolina.
Best of Luck
(UMAIR)

rg66

#197 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:Do you have any future plans to make x-precise with fully functional xfce4 menu settings and all other stuff as you did in carolina
What is missing/not functional that you would like to have added?

umair

#198 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote:What is missing/not functional that you would like to have added?
When I open xfce-setting manager, it shows nothing, as we usually see all the icons like setting the mouse/keyboard/display and all other things.

rg66

#199 Post by rg66 »

umair wrote:When I open xfce-setting manager, it shows nothing, as we usually see all the icons like setting the mouse/keyboard/display and all other things.
Xfce-settings manager should have been hidden or even removed. Everything is in control panel, just like in Carolina.

umair

#200 Post by umair »

rg66 wrote: Xfce-settings manager should have been hidden or even removed. Everything is in control panel, just like in Carolina.
Ok If it is then everything is perfect ;)..I will check that.
Take Care