X-precise-2.4 Final

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

X-precise-2.4 Final

#1 Post by rg66 »

X-precise

A manually built distro based on precise-5.7.1. with the Xfce-4.10 desktop and Adrive support.

Known Issues
Does not work with P3 or AMD Athlon processors

Version 2.4 delta is available for download

Download

Change log
Attachments
X-precise-2.4.jpg
(25.95 KiB) Downloaded 9844 times
Last edited by rg66 on Thu 10 Jul 2014, 04:25, edited 44 times in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

Packages

#2 Post by rg66 »

Packages for X-precise

Pet
http://www.carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-pr ... -X-precise

SFS
http://www.carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-precise/sfs

audacious-3.2.4-Xprecise.pet - compiled in X-precise, missing libs added
audacious-plugins-3.2.4-Xprecise.pet - added mp3 and WMA support, both packages required
flashplayer-11.2.202.297.pet
gimp-2.8.2-Xprecise.pet/sfs - with missing libs added
pidgin-2.10.7-i686-precise543.pet
ristretto-0.6.3.pet - Image viewer
testdisk-6.14-i486-precise.pet
x-adrive-builder-1.0.pet
xfce4-extra-panel-plugins-1.0-Xprecise.pet
xdelta-30p-w5-Xprecise.pet
xmenumaker-3.1.0-Xprecise.pet

Common packages for both X-slacko and X-precise will be added here:
http://carolina-linux.com/rg66/X-common-packages

Eventually I will have all the removed packages from both in the X-common-packages folder
Last edited by rg66 on Sat 22 Feb 2014, 06:40, edited 12 times in total.

ally

#3 Post by ally »

hey rg

I have mirrored the ISO and pets here: http://www.archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_X-precise

:)

rg66

#4 Post by rg66 »

ally wrote:hey rg

I have mirrored the ISO and pets here: http://www.archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_X-precise

:)
Nice, thanks ally.

I have adrive support working so that will be added to the next release.

mikeslr

Working Fine --thanks

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rg66,

Just what I wanted but am unable to do myself. I'm downloading it now.
Is there any chance of your creating a custom-builder app for X-precise? and thereby combining the strengths of my two favorite Pup variations? Carolina's ability to dependency check and precise's wealth of applications using current libs. I appreciate that a custom-builder app may work best with a dedicated repo and that such would entail much duplication and a considerable amount of work. But, perhaps, less than having to duplicate precise apps albeit doing T2 compiles?

At any rate, Thanks for the Pup. And thanks, ally, for the mirror.

Edit after install. Re above request. Booted into X-precise and installed a couple of apps. X-Precise does a nice job of dependency checking. So I must have been thinking about a zdrive.
Overall X-precise is working well.
One thing isn't particularly newby friendly: Changing the color of the fonts used by the taskbar clock. One has to know the hex? values of colors.
Edit: Just discovered the "Clock set" app which does the above. Perhaps could be linked to/called from other apps for adjusting the clock which aren't as user friendly?
Also, although hunspell isn't exactly a "dependency" of Abiword which requires it to spell check, the only of people who may never have a need to check their spelling probably were spelling bee champions. I got into the fifth grade on probation that my spelling significantly improve. (Un)Fortunately for me, the fifth grade teacher who was aware of that condition broke her leg over summer recess and her replacement didn't know.

mikesLr

rg66

Re: Working Fine --thanks

#6 Post by rg66 »

mikeslr wrote: Is there any chance of your creating a custom-builder app for X-precise? and thereby combining the strengths of my two favorite Pup variations? Carolina's ability to dependency check and precise's wealth of applications using current libs.
A custom-builder would be nice but I think that would require some knowledge that I don't have. The next release will include adrive support so you can make a custom one.

I suppose a custom adrive builder and a right click dependency checker might be possible.
mikeslr wrote: One thing isn't particularly newby friendly: Changing the color of the fonts used by the taskbar clock. One has to know the hex? values of colors.
I've included "clock-style", to change the clock font and color. It's in control panel under Desktop. (I just noticed it has the older "clock-set" instead, that will be changed).

okokoook

#7 Post by okokoook »

wow this is awesome

could we also use carolina apps with this x-precise version, if possible ?

rg66

#8 Post by rg66 »

okokoook wrote:wow this is awesome

could we also use carolina apps with this x-precise version, if possible ?
A lot them should work, I'm using mtpaint and ristretto from lina with no problems. Just install them and the package manager will tell you if there's any missing dependencies.

pchan

#9 Post by pchan »

Hi rg66,

x-precise is working very well in my acer d256 netbook. However i cannot find "menu entry maker" in the control panel."Menu entry maker" was in carolina. It is a useful program because some installations (wine programs also) doesn't automatically get listed in the program menu.

Thanks

rg66

#10 Post by rg66 »

I didn't include the menu entry maker and a few other things that where in lina such as theme manager.

Precise has a whole lot more menu categories and they have been merged with the lina's so that one wouldn't work properly anyway.
Last edited by rg66 on Thu 01 Aug 2013, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

File Manager Slowness & finding a useable Gimp

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rg66,

Really enjoying X-precise and am recommending it to others despite a couple of hick-ups. One was finding a version of Gimp that would work. I tried several SFSes, versions 2.6 thru 2.84 but none would run and complained about missing libs. Same problem after using PPM to install the pet from the puppy-precise repo. But the version from Ubuntu repo installed and runs well. PPM did a good job in finding all necessary dependencies. I had some doubts, however, regarding what it chose to remove after clicking "trim the fat." I had expected only documentation and localization files to be identified. As it seemed to go beyond that I canceled. I'd rather have things I don't need than not have things I do. Although the Ubuntu version of Gimp is only 2.6, I'm happy with it. I'm not sure what "improvements" came after it. I wouldn't classify the menu changes in 2.7 or 2.8 as improvements. And hunting thru the Ubuntu repos I was able to find and install a couple of plugins which work with 2.6 and may prove useful.
LibreOffice4.SFS runs well. And the mtpaint pet with snapshot does also. You've mention that some Carolina pets may work. That's been my experience with other precise versions. I'd add that Lupu pets frequently work. So with pets and ubuntu debs X-precise should prove to be a great Pup for individualization and customization.

One hiccup I haven't been able to solve is that the first time Thunar is started, whether from the desktop icon, the menu, or the taskbar --even though I've set it to respond to one-click-- it takes an extraordinary amount of time to open. Long enough that I've feared it wasn't responding --or that my one-click setting hadn't taken-- so I've clicked it again, and maybe again, and finally ended up with 3 or 4 Thunar windows open. I might have guessed that opening Thunar by clicking the desktop "Filesystem" icon could be slow because x-precise was treating my sd drives as "external." But the same delay occurs when Thunar is opened to root which it should interpret as an "internal" drive.

Any suggestions as to how it could be speeded up?

mikesLr

rg66

#12 Post by rg66 »

Hey mikeslr,

Glad your enjoying it. The second post has a few .pets and one of them is Gimp-2.8.2 with the missing libs added.

The thunar issue is caused by gvfs-smb which replaced Pnethood for browsing network shares. The first time thunar starts it does a network scan which only takes about 3 sec. on my comp.

The quickest fix is to open /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount in geany and change AutoMount=true to AutoMount=false and restart X. This will leave the thunar side pane network icon missing until you click it and scan the network, but thunar will open right away.

I'll have to rethink using gvfs-smb or preset automount to false like we did in lina.

pchan

#13 Post by pchan »

rg66 ,

any plans to implement xfce and carolina goodies into the latest puppy precise 5.7?

The latest Puppy precise 5.7 seems stable, light and snappy on my acer aspire one d257 (happy2) netbook. Barry K has done a great job and has introduced a few new things such as copying the basic puppy sfs file to the ram.

I feel the boot up is faster if i am not wrong.

Thanks

rg66

#14 Post by rg66 »

pchan wrote:rg66 ,

any plans to implement xfce and carolina goodies into the latest puppy precise 5.7?
Yes and no. I had a go at precise 5.6.1 but couldn't get it to work properly, although I didn't spend much time on it ( I was doing Carolina at the time). I thought it would be better to go with something that already worked at first.

If I can figure out how gray did 5.4.3, I'll have a serious attempt at 5.7 or maybe the latest slacko.

5.4.3 seems to work ok and it will run the latest apps (unless they require gtk-3), so I'm going to stick with this for a while.

pchan

#15 Post by pchan »

rg66 wrote:I'll have a serious attempt at 5.7 or maybe the latest slacko.
It is great to know that precise 5.7 and latest slacko are under consideration. Although i like precise 5.7 because it is based on ubuntu, slacko has always been great. In fact, lately, i had a pleasant surprised to find out that i could install some .deb files in slacko.

I don't understand much but it shows that slacko has become very a very friendly puppy.

Will look forward to great xfce puppies from you.

Thanks

kimathi

How gray did it

#16 Post by kimathi »

rg66 here my breakdown on what i think gray did with his precisenop or rather try this with any puppy that you wish to use xfce4 to, i use packages from carolina and it works.

i use edit sfs simply unsquash the puppy_precise_* sfs then add the following packages from carolina

1. gvfs-1.8.2-i486
2. gvfs-smb
3. libunique-1.1.6-i486
4. libwnck-2.30.7-i486
5. libxklavier-5.0-i486
6. lina_xfce-4.10
7. vte-0.28.2-i486

from grays precise get " rox " and "drive_all" scripts from /usr/local/bin and copy over to barrys precise overwritting the ones there.

From /etc directory overwrite window manager file with the one from precisenop or carolina/saluki

while in etc edit profile text file by by commenting out export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 to #export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

also in the root folder overwrite ".xinitrc" with the one from grays pup.

Add your icon theme to the sfs at /usr/share/icons and make sfs.

I believe gray then removes packages from the sfs by looking for them from /root/.packges/builtin_files each package you wish to remove is listed there though i think there is a script by jrb that can be used to automate it.

In fact just add all the above to an sfs and try it in as many puppies as you wish.

GVFS sometimes complains so its better to try first without the gvfs once you are sure it works then you can add gvfs. So even without this it shouls work.

Well a pitfall for Barrys precise is that they don't include pupvolume monitor and the glib files are not patched. i guess you will have to extract the relevant glib files from grays pup. i followed pebee's instructions on how to get pupvolume monitor to work from his lxpup sfs.

Lastly i used pupvolume monitor 15 for slacko and it works well.

kimathi

rox and drive all

#17 Post by kimathi »

I think we should push changes in the rox and drive_all scripts to Barry as they are the ones that call thunar instead of rox when using xfce furthermore the scripts do not break jwm since it what woof built puppies use hence its a plus that Barry retains jwm as he likes and the community can easily use xfce by simply installing the required xfce debs even from precise, raring or slackware repositories without changing anything.

Same goes with the .xinitrc file as that is where the changes lie. Unlike in carolina and saluki where the changes to these scripts broke jwm grays scripts do not break jwm and who knows perhaps those in the know of scripting could extend it to call other file managers pcfm, spacefm and proper openbox and lxde support. Push it to permasu and Micko for them to push it upstream to Barry.

inoxidabile

#18 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi rg66 ,
I tried X-precise, it's very nice, a good job :)
I appreciate it because it seems more quick to start and run apps (especially Firefox).
But also in this case I'm not able to find a way for change the button size in windows (e.g. close, minimize, etc...).
In "window manager" it's possible to change their layout or to hidden someone but not the size.
Is it possible?
Thanks !

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add one thing: it's just my feel... in my opinion it could be better to add Puppy Package Manager also in Control Panel .

rg66

#19 Post by rg66 »

@ kimathi

Thanks for the "breakdown", I gave it a quick try and I got into Xfce but it didn't work properly, maybe something else is missing. I'll have another go when I have more time to spend on it.

@ inoxidabile

I think the only way to change the button size is to choose a different window theme or edit the theme itself.

I can add ppm to control panel, I'll try and remember for the next one. You can add it yourself by adding X-SetupUtility to categories in the .desktop file. Categories=System;X-SetupUtility

666philb

#20 Post by 666philb »

oops ... mistaken post
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331