Puppy 2a7 fails to start on HP1230n (64-bit AMD Venice CPU)

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Sit Heel Speak

Puppy 2a7 fails to start on HP1230n (64-bit AMD Venice CPU)

#1 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Due to circumstances beyond my control (see http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8350 first page, toward the bottom) I was forced to buy a Hewlett-Packard Pavilion 1230n Media Center PC at my local Fry's Electronics, preloaded with Win XP Media Center Edition. This machine has an AMD 64-bit Venice CPU, 1GB of DDR 400 RAM, a 160GB SATA hard disk, no floppy (not even a floppy controller on the mainboard), LightScribe DVD writer, and several CF etc. ports, including a USB 2 port, on the front.

I've tried booting Puppy 2 alpha 7 from both the USB flash key and from a second, IDE (UDMA 5) hard disk connected to the mainboard's primary IDE controller (both methods boot P2a7 OK on my PIII laptop and desktop). Dual-boot was set up and tried using WinGrub 0.02 Build 6. Grub installed using WinGrub will boot XP but Puppy fails, both from USB flash key and from the IDE disk. In both cases, Puppy starts, initrd and vmlinuz go OK until I-can't-tell-when-because-it-all-happens-so-fast, but then I see a screenful of the following line:

Unknown interrupt or fault at EIP 00000000 C0200231 00000023

and then very quickly the machine reboots.

Suggestions welcome. Provisionally, my plan is to return this machine tomorrow, after my replacement PC Power and Cooling power supply arrives for the old PIII machine the IDE disk was in...
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 20 Jun 2006, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

You could give the release version 2.0.1 a try and perhaps get better results. I recall there where a few USB problems that got sorted out in the past few weeks.

http://puppyos.com/download/downpage.htm

Sit Heel Speak

#3 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

You could give the release version 2.0.1 a try and perhaps get better results. I recall there where a few USB problems that got sorted out in the past few weeks.
Yes but it gives the identical error when I attempt to start it from hard disk. So, I doubt it is a USB issue. Rather, I suspect a hardware issue. Possibly the 64-bit processor?

I also tried Puppy 1.08r. This just gives the "Uncompressing the kernel" message, then the computer reboots.