Creating WakePup in 2.0 and 2.1

Booting, installing, newbie
Canadianpride

Creating WakePup in 2.0 and 2.1

#1 Post by Canadianpride »

Well, I was trying to create a wakepup floppy for one of my older pc's. For some reason everytime I attempt to it tells me there is an error with the floppy after writing for a few minutes. This also happens when I attempt to format the floppies. The floppies work fine when copying to and from them. I've tried this with several different floppy disks and both puppy 2.0 and 2.1 and can't get it to work any help would be appricieated.

Thanks,
Matthew.

ezeze5000

#2 Post by ezeze5000 »

Are those new or old floppies?
When I use older floppies sometimes I have to go through several to find a good one.

I have run across drives that are bad too.
Puppy will let you know in a hurry if something is wrong.

I hope this helps.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

Canadianpride

#3 Post by Canadianpride »

These are all older floppies I dug out of my desk. I'll try somemore if I find some. I might have to try a different floppy drive I guess if that doesn't work.
Thanks, Matthew

marksouth2000

#4 Post by marksouth2000 »

Linux is fussy about having floppies with no bad sectors. Dirty drives also have a bad effect. I think it was no less than Barry himself who once remarked that most computer cases suck external air in through the floppy drive, and that a simple cleaning floppy with a bit of alcohol can work wonders.

Many cheap floppies came from the factory with bad sectors, DOS never seemed to care. Under Linux, the best approach is to do

Code: Select all

# fdformat /dev/fd0
BEFORE attempting to use the floppy, because fdformat will first format and then check each sector. Floppies that fail should be added to the plastic recycling pile immediately, together with all those AOL CDs.

A few weeks ago I went through this with a random large collection of old floppies (I cleaned the drive first). About 1/2 failed. My recycling pile has grown very large 8)

Canadianpride

#5 Post by Canadianpride »

I wasn't alive when floppies were big and I've never heard of a cleaning floppy I'll have to see if we have any. I have attempted to format all the floppies none of the format's worked.
Thanks, Matthew

Canadianpride

#6 Post by Canadianpride »

:) I managed to find a good floppy and make a wakepup. I managed to get it running on a 75Mhz pentium 1 with 48 mgs of ram. Although I'm planning to use it on a slightly faster old pc. Thanks very much!

Matthew.

marksouth2000

#7 Post by marksouth2000 »

Canadianpride wrote:I wasn't alive when floppies were big and I've never heard of a cleaning floppy I'll have to see if we have any.
I have a 5.25" floppy somewhere in my computer museum, AKA junk collection. I think it's under the Amiga....

Cleaning floppies can still be bought, although a few drops of alcohol on a floppy that you don't intend to use again will sometimes do the job.
I have attempted to format all the floppies none of the format's worked. Thanks, Matthew
That's as I suspected, just keep trying till you find a good one.

Cheers,
Mark

Canadianpride

#8 Post by Canadianpride »

Hehe, I found a stack of about 100 floppies. So I just kept trying them. Luckly the third one I tried worked.

ezeze5000

#9 Post by ezeze5000 »

I have a bunch of old floppies.

1.2mb

These are 5.25 inch floppies.

I also have the drives that go with them.

I'm on dialup right now because lightening knocked out my up-link
and most of my network.
It will be a few days before i'm back on line high speed.
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

pakt

#10 Post by pakt »

ezeze5000 wrote:I have a bunch of old floppies.

1.2mb

These are 5.25 inch floppies.
The wakepup2 image is made for a 1.44MB floppy ;)