Votes for permanently remove Seamonkey and add Opera/Firefox

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
bark_bark_bark

#16 Post by bark_bark_bark »

In no way should dillo be added.

Why?

Another dependency, fltk

and when the user installs preferred browser, they have to deal with a few extra MBs.

Also we would have to find a email client as well.

Seamonkey should stay.

(but the font change from 76dpi to 96dpi shouldn't, things don't fit on the screen as well with 96dpi.)

RetroTechGuy

#17 Post by RetroTechGuy »

bark_bark_bark wrote:In no way should dillo be added.

Why?

Another dependency, fltk

and when the user installs preferred browser, they have to deal with a few extra MBs.

Also we would have to find a email client as well.

Seamonkey should stay.

(but the font change from 76dpi to 96dpi shouldn't, things don't fit on the screen as well with 96dpi.)
I don't see how leaving Seamonkey in harms anything, and it gives a functional browser right out of the gate. It's easy enough to drop in your preferred browser after you have everything up and running.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Bligh

#18 Post by Bligh »

I primarily use Seamonkey. It is still compatible with Netscape Communicator. I have firefox on most systems simply because it is in wide usage. But I don't like it as much. I rarely install other browsers, except to try them out. I happen to think choice is good.
Cheers

rjbrewer

#19 Post by rjbrewer »

It's easy to remove a browser and install another.

Don't mess with a great tradition.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

greengeek

#20 Post by greengeek »

I love Seamonkey. It is always the one I seem to come back to.
I also love Opera, but over the last year I've started to feel somewhat insecure about the staff they have, and the way the product works. I feel the Opera company has taken a turn away from making the program do what the end user wants, and gone more towards using the end user for what Opera wants.
(Maybe thats because Opera bought out my email provider - Fastmail - and the quality of the webmail product has gone steadily downhill since then, and the helpdesk responses have become steadily less helpful, less responsive, and more "corporate")

Seamonkey is a solid base that can be easily discarded by the user or supplemented by other browsers for specific purposes. Keep it I say...

akash_rawal

#21 Post by akash_rawal »

I see that many of us justify removing seamonkey by saying that very few people use the mail facility.

My observation: In all puppies I downloaded, if seamonkey is not provided sylpheed and some other chat software is present.

How does the size of seamonkey compare with size of firefox + sylpheed + chat software? Maybe this can help us decide correctly.

vicmz

completeness

#22 Post by vicmz »

BarryK wants Puppy to be small but fullfeatured, that's why he includes many apps and modem drivers most people wouldn't (?) use. I never use SeaMonkey email client, but I'm happy that Puppy is the easiest distro in which to use a mobile phone as a modem. The point is, the goal of Puppy is to have every tools you could use, no matter whether you're a beginner or an advanced user, yet maintaining a reasonable size of the ISO file. He may put QtWeb as default and add a browser wizard to install the others, or retain SeaMonkey if it is possible to decrease its size (or maintain a good performace at least). Opera is excellent but many complain that is not free software (as in freedom), yet Puppy is not about great ideological/existential issues, it's an OS. Firefox and Chromium are giant and become quickly outdated, simply there is no way they could make it to an official Puppy build.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Pat the Rat

Battle of the Browser

#23 Post by Pat the Rat »

Just got through posting my praises for Precise 5.7 in the Beginner's section. I noted there that I'd removed Seamonkey for FF. Now I read here, maybe not a good choice? I loaded FF since it's what I use on the Windblows box at work and my other machines at home — Linux or Windows. Never tried Opera, and what's "Dillo"? I do think that a choice might be in order during installation; perhaps a popup query "What browser would ya'll like to use"?

Should I remove FF and use something else? The "slow" start doesn't bother me, and it seems to me the time is only a second or two more than SM.

greengeek

Re: Battle of the Browser

#24 Post by greengeek »

Pat the Rat wrote:Should I remove FF and use something else?
Its very much a matter of personal choice. If you are keen to try different browsers it might be worth making a trial installation of Akita Puppy - when you try to start browsing for the first time it brings up a menu that lets you choose from about 8 or 9 different ones. Some interesting choices there...

If you haven't had much experience with Opera it is well worth having a go - it always has features that other browsers lack - I particularly like the little zoom slider it has at lower right - you can zoom a page in and out really easily and smoothly. Also, some people like it's "quickdial" shortcuts but then some don't. Gotta love the amount of choices we have...

RetroTechGuy

Re: Battle of the Browser

#25 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Pat the Rat wrote:Just got through posting my praises for Precise 5.7 in the Beginner's section. I noted there that I'd removed Seamonkey for FF. Now I read here, maybe not a good choice? I loaded FF since it's what I use on the Windblows box at work and my other machines at home — Linux or Windows. Never tried Opera, and what's "Dillo"? I do think that a choice might be in order during installation; perhaps a popup query "What browser would ya'll like to use"?

Should I remove FF and use something else? The "slow" start doesn't bother me, and it seems to me the time is only a second or two more than SM.
If it's working for you, I would leave it.

The thread was actually about removing Seamonkey as the common default in new Puppies. This would really only affect the installation into the base .sfs file (i.e. it would be available), and doesn't affect the users choice of default browser.

I run Firefox on my machines, if they have enough horsepower to handle the bloat (it tends to be quite the memory pig). I'm running it right now, on my newest laptop...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

tallboy

#26 Post by tallboy »

There is constant development work going on with all the browsers, excluding one may also exclude future improvements, at least until the header reads: 'Why isn't puppy available with Seamonkey 5.0 and it's interactive 3D video, instead of tiny Firefox 39.4, and the slow giant Opera 26.0 browsers?' :lol: :lol:

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

8-bit

#27 Post by 8-bit »

I am for keeping Seamonkey in that it is a combination of a browser, email program, and HTML editor.
It is getting a little bloated.
And if the version of Puppy does not have Seamonkey, I install it and remove the existing other browser.
It is a matter of choice!
One version of Puppy came with just a utility to download the browser of one's choice and had the means to do so.
With it, one did not have to remove an existing browser and installed just the one they wanted.

Also, in my case, I keep my .mozilla folder in /mnt/home and so after creating a link to it in any version of Puppy I run, I am able to have all my settings, bookmarks, etc. consistent from one version of Puppy to another.