Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 23 Aug 2014, 13:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 with non-PAE 3.9.9 kernel. 13 July 2013
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 18 of 32 [474 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 30, 31, 32 Next
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 11:34    Post subject:  

Pemasu,
Just did a very quick test, booted 3.9.9.2 pfix=ram, obviously no bug, installed the .pet and still no bug.

Downloaded the raring / raring updates .deb from packages.ubuntu.com and installed it over the top, bug appeared.

Installed your .pet over the top again and the bug was gone again.
Remembering to restart X each time. Looks OK unless there is some other specific test you want me to try.

pemasu

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 11:39    Post subject:  

OscarTalks. Thanks. That sounded proof enough. Otherwise. Just usual normal testing. If there is something missing or misbehaving, now it would be good time to point it. I will create quick update quite soon so that I can include libX11 compiled in Upup Raring with almost official patch.
Jim1911

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 16:40    Post subject: Upup Raring 3.9.9.2  

Hi pemasu,

Your new Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 is running great with my usual software including the Nvidia driver. Very Happy

Of course your Bibletime 2.9.1 still isn't working as I reported before. because of an Ubuntu injected bug.

Thanks for another super distribution.
Jim
charlie6

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 02:26    Post subject: non US keyboard  

Pemasu,
bonjour !
raring-3.9.9.2
be-latin1 keymap behaves OK after installed the latest libX11-1.6.1.pet on a pfix=ram session + restarted X.

many thanks again
charlie
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 12:24    Post subject:  

Pemasu, can I ask a favor?

I've been trying to get Jejy69's MATE working on Upup Raring and Precise (versions are unimportant here -- I've no data at all on the computer this affects, so I can wipe/install as needed here). It's been a failure so far, with an error that I only now think I understand.

It appears that the gma500 driver for Puppy is compiled without support for the Intel GMBUS. There is a patch (fifth in a series of IIRC nine) that will fix this, but I can't code well enough to even read that mess.

Would you be able to recompile that driver with the necessary patch(es) to enable GMBUS support? I'll gladly provide testing for it. Assume I'm using Precise 3992, which I'm about to download.

Patch for GMBUS support is here --> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2011-December/017225.html

pemasu

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 13:20    Post subject:  

Starhawk. The patch is for kernel driver module and the patch has been created december 2011

I dont believe it is valid anymore. I tried the patch and it looks like source code has changed so much that it was not possible to apply it.

Over 1½ year in linux kernel development is long time.
Sorry.

Beside. I think that the GMBUS code which the patch applies, is there already. I checked those GMBUS rows which were not in 2011 kernel, and those rows are there now.

So...I think that the patch is also obsolete now. The GMBUS support is there and since I have included gma500 support, it is in my kernel also.
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 23:40    Post subject:  

Huh... I wonder why GNOME/MATE doesn't want to work then, complaining that GMBUS support is disabled...?
pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 01:11    Post subject:  

Starhawk. I really dont know. Gnome - Unity - Mate - Cinnamon is unknown territory to me.

But...just question. Could it have something to do with modesetting driver, which is unaccelerated xorg driver. I suppose you are using it.

What I read about gma500 and Ubuntu. Mostly ppl recommended to avoid Ubuntu and use K/X/Lubuntu due to graphics problems.

For you...if JWM is not enough...I would try LXDE sfs as substitute or openbox with some other panel.

I am not sure if there will be solution for working GNOME - MATE and gma500. Have you read a success story with your netbook and 13.04 Ubuntu ?

I wont try it anyway. LXDE is the farthest point I will go with WM - DM. More complex than that it interferes my comp usage.
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 02:24    Post subject:  

Hi Pemasu, I am trialling 3.9.9.2 and I'm very impressed - especially that the Abiword version is also able to handle docx. Just one suggestion - it seems that a docx file does not show the normal icon that a .doc would (even though if I click it Abiword does open it automatically so I guess that means the mime type is correctly set??). Is this easy to fix the icon so that it shows the same as a doc? Thanks for this distro, it looks really good.
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 05:06    Post subject:  

SFR wrote:
Hey Pemasu & Aarf
Check out if this looks better:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=713838#713838
Hi SFR, any chance this could also be done for "welcome1stboot" ? (eg the Precise version...). It's too big to be practical on a netbook. Smile
SFR

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 05:52    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
SFR wrote:
Hey Pemasu & Aarf
Check out if this looks better:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=713838#713838
Hi SFR, any chance this could also be done for "welcome1stboot" ? (eg the Precise version...). It's too big to be practical on a netbook. Smile

Hey Greengeek

Probably yes, however it's written in Bacon (source is in /usr/sbin/weclome1stboot.bac; load devx before, to see it) and I don't know it. Rolling Eyes
Besides from what I saw in that code, all widgets are strictly hardcoded on specific positions within the main window.
A quick & dirty workaround could be to increase DPI in line 25:
Code:
HUGOPTIONS("BASEXFTDPI 96")

to e.g. 104
Thanks to that, the reduction of window size is 640x501 -> 590x463, but some icons will be a bit trimmed.
You can try it by yourself and see if this helps.
To compile, just type:
Code:
bacon /usr/sbin/welcome1stboot.bac

But anyway, best to contact someone who knows Bacon (Vovchik, Sunburnt, Bigbass, Barry himself).

Greetings!

greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 05:56    Post subject:  

Thanks as always SFR!
linux28

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 07:53    Post subject:  

acpi seems to have problems will lead to auto-restart
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:16    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
But...just question. Could it have something to do with modesetting driver, which is unaccelerated xorg driver. I suppose you are using it.

Is there a way to invoke the gma500 driver, and have it work, without using the modesetting driver? I can try it if there is.

Also, the, er, "netbook" in question is this --> http://www.axiomtek.com/products/ViewProduct.asp?view=680
(Well, to be fair it's an IGoLogic rebrand, but all they do --honest!-- is put a sticker with their part number over the original label!!)

pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 11:38    Post subject:  

Modesetting driver is the one to use in Upup Raring.

There is linux powervr driver from intel and I think Tempestuous compiled it for testing for some Slacko version...or something. The thread should be somewhere in this forum.

I have no experience of it.

Yeah...it looks like you netleaflet. Homemade comp environment. Now I remember that you posted about it some time ago. Sorry for forgetting that.
Page 18 of 32 [474 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, ..., 30, 31, 32 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: