adding applications to the tray on desktop

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
zippytex

adding applications to the tray on desktop

#1 Post by zippytex »

In the lower tray there is an icon that starts the web browser. I would like to add an icon for the default email, which is Thunderbird. I cannot figure out how to do it. Thanks, Mary

zippytex

I think I found the answer

#2 Post by zippytex »

Clicking on the setup button in Slacko 5.5, I think I found it. I haven't been able to make it work, but I found the information that created the "browser" in the tray. Thanks.

DaveS

Re: I think I found the answer

#3 Post by DaveS »

zippytex wrote:Clicking on the setup button in Slacko 5.5, I think I found it. I haven't been able to make it work, but I found the information that created the "browser" in the tray. Thanks.
zippytex, sometimes its useful to know what is happening 'under the hood'. The configuration for that lower bar is in a file called .jwmrc.tray. It is located in /root/, so /root/.jwmrc-tray. It is a hidden file so you must turn on 'show hidden files' in the Rox file manager to see it. Just click on the file and Puppy will load it into a text editor ready for you to edit by hand. Just look at what else is there to get an idea of what you have to do.
If you make a change, you have to save and then select 'Restart JWM' from the shutdown menu.
Most of Puppy configuration is like this, which is what makes it so incredibly customizable.
If you do have a go, BACK UP THE ORIGINAL FIRST!
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!