slacko-5.6 Final - plus testing next

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
musher0

#436 Post by musher0 »

@bigpup:

Additional thought: if it was a 32-bit vs 64-bit thing, wouldn't we have a
similar bug each time we save to a large external drive on a 32-bit Puppy?
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

bigpup

#437 Post by bigpup »

musher0 wrote:@bigpup:

Additional thought: if it was a 32-bit vs 64-bit thing, wouldn't we have a
similar bug each time we save to a large external drive on a 32-bit Puppy?
Just bringing up ideas to check.
Not sure if this is a specific 32 bit operating system problem or more to do with what partition system is on the HDD and how it is supported by the operating system.

Example:
Once a remote prospect, an important barrier in disk storage has become a reality: the venerable master boot record (MBR) partitioning scheme can't fully handle disks larger than 2.2TB (2TiB). With disks as large as 3TB readily available and with much larger RAID arrays common, alternatives to the MBR partitioning scheme have become important to understand. The heir apparent is the GUID Partition Table (GPT). Learn how to make sure your Linux system is fully prepared for the future of disk storage.
Info from:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-gpt/
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

musher0

#438 Post by musher0 »

musher0 wrote:Hi, bigpup.

Do you mean you had trouble creating a pupsave on a large external
hard drive? (Your wording makes it unclear in my mind.)

In any case, it occurred to me tonight: what if the busybox blkid --
present in both wanderer's CE3 Puppy and 01micko's new slacko --
was the culprit?

The Lucid "breed" of Puppies offers an actual blkid utility and does not
have the pupsave bug.

Just a thought. It's not that important anymore, since we have relatively
easy-to-use work-arounds now.

BFN.

musher0
Hello, bigpup.

I did another test and actually, using the actual blkid utility instead of the
busybox one did solve the pupsave-creation bug at the code level. So we
now have 4 work-arounds and one real code solution. I gather Mick will
find an elegant way to integrate this solution in his next slacko.

Concerning the new GPT disk paradigm you mentioned -- It's good to
think ahead. But, speaking for myself, at present I have 22 % occupation
of a total 1.128 Tb disk capacity. I have about 10 Puppies on there, plus
XP, and 3 other Linux distros -- not to mention about 100 G worth of back-
ups. I feel it's a bit early for me to be concerned, since I've got 68 %
wiggle-room left. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I get there -- in a
couple of years.

I'm sure I'm not the only Linuxian taking pleasure in "beating the system"
-- i.e. pushing an older machine to the max before considering buying
newer hardware. It's one of the strengths of Linux generally, and Puppy
has achieved resplendent results in this area. Let's hope BK's successors
-- the new Puppy "guard", so to speak -- will maintain that philosophy.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

01micko

#439 Post by 01micko »

Hello friends!

I am building another now, made some relevant commits to woof, put blkid in the template is one (TY musher0), and also added some new ideas, some from Mr KRG. There are a few more from zigbert too, hope they work fine for you. Also added bugfixes for hiawatha, categories and other files (TY SFR).

My intent is to get slacko 5.7 out soon, then leave slacko alone for awhile and help pemasu port wheezy to woof-CE. I have already built raspberry pi (ZAP6) with debian wheezy armel bins and that pretty much worked so I'll add the infrastructure included there and get pemasu's advice as needed (when he has time, he's a busy guy ATM).

I think Upup will remain in petty good shape, oldyeller has his OVprecise using woof_CE, I urge you to test that too at your convenience.

As usual, when I get closer with these woof bugs, I'll get a non-PAE kernel out too. The only reason this one is PAE is that's what I had in my config at the time!

I'll build video drivers too, so it wont be a 'half arsed' release. I take some pride in my work!

If I get time after that, I'll do updates on thin and phat slacko variants. But as you can appreciate, there is a lot to do with woof alone. I wouldn't mind stepping back from slacko dev all together and letting some one else have a go.. but who would stick up their hand? You? [ :lol: ].

The next will be released in delta form only at first, full iso later, and I'll probably start a new thread as it will be "official alpha" or maybe I'll just leave the delta, squash a heap of bugs then go with a full iso for beta as the one after.. I struggle a bit with bandwidth here...[ Oh.. sheet.. can I use the term 'alpha' ? :lol: ].

Thanks everyone for reports and fixes.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mister_electronico

hi

#440 Post by mister_electronico »

It may be possible that Pi Rasperry worked with Slacko? I'm looking to buy a Pi Rasperry soon.

Greetings.

nooby

#441 Post by nooby »

Barry and many others encourage us to use Slacko.

I am on old Lupu 528-005 so I obviously need big help.

I have put Firefox .mozilla directory on the /mnt/home/

for to not eat up the save file and it works very good on Lupu

So now I am lost at how that will interfere with doing the same
on Slacko?

I mean when I boot up lupu it update this .mozilla with my settings
of language and UTF8 and other preferences

If I do the same with Slacko these two different OS will use
the same .mozilla directory
Would it not crash it?

I think that is not a good thing? They will get confused would they not?

So how does one separate these so they does not mess up .mozilla
on the HD?

Dearly hope somebody can sort this out?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

greengeek

#442 Post by greengeek »

Thanks 01mick0 for a really usable Puppy. I've just installed 5.6 to my Acer Aspire One netbook and I find that the SD slot works perfectly, which is really nice.

mini-jaguar

#443 Post by mini-jaguar »

sorry if it's been covered before, but what does this icon above the clock in the lower right hand corner mean?
Attachments
slacko560-symbols.png
(5.83 KiB) Downloaded 1098 times

mini-jaguar

#444 Post by mini-jaguar »

Sometimes that little door is black like in the photo, sometimes just white with a black outline.

So no one knows, and no one cares? Is it indicating spyware or a back door? Only official packages were installed, none of which made that thing appear in other Slacko versions.

James C

#445 Post by James C »

mini-jaguar wrote:Sometimes that little door is black like in the photo, sometimes just white with a black outline.

So no one knows, and no one cares? Is it indicating spyware or a back door? Only official packages were installed, none of which made that thing appear in other Slacko versions.
FWIW, I'm running 4 or 5 Slacko installs (full and frugal) and I've never seen that here.

Keef

#446 Post by Keef »

mini-jaguar

That is just a terminal window reduced to minimum size. Why it is there though, I have no idea.
Spyware/backdoors would be a bit crapif they advertised themselves that way, so I wouldn't worry that much.
Try running htop with no other progs running, and see what shows up.

sixten

How can I mount sdxc (64 GB sd-card)?

#447 Post by sixten »

I have an sdxc card that I can't mount in slacko 5.6.
It says that the type exfat is unknown. How can I add it to my slacko? There is fuse-exfat for slackware, but it doesn't show up in the package manager.

Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution? Does anyone know how to do this?

Daniel

mikeslr

Video-editing in Slacko-5.6 non-pae

#448 Post by mikeslr »

Unexpectedly, both the openshot 1.4.2 and kdenlive SFSes Battleshooter built for Saluki seem to work fine OOTB in Slacko 5.6 non-Pae. Although I haven't noticed any conflicts with applications more recently built for Slacko 5.6, and none involving the applications I frequently use, I can't guaranty that there are none. But as the above are SFSes, the worst that can happen is you'd have to unload them.

Openshot can be found here: http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet. ... -1.4.2.sfs
It's best to read the short kdenlive thread, as it requires two SFSes: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 059#753059

Together with don570's cinelerra, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91418, avidemux (for non-destructive cutting) and ffmpeg for conversions, Slacko 5.6 has a panoply of tools for your video projects.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

Drive contents not displayed when desktop icon clicked

#449 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko & all,

Ordinarily, when a desktop drive icon is clicked pmount mounts the drive/partition and then, automatically, rox displays its contents. In slacko 5.6 Final, however, clicking a drive icon, any drive icon, just initiates pmount offering to mount any drive or partition. When one is selected, rox opens it, but pmount remains open.
I don't recall this behavior from Thinslacko or phatslacko.

Perhaps it's just a bi-product of having immediately installed OpenboxPlus?

It's particularly annoying as it also happens when the "home" partition is clicked. As I frugally install almost all my pups to the same "home" partition, that is where I also keep many folders and files I may want to use with them. I developed a work-around, but it's not as convenient as just being able to click a drive icon. I added a second rox "desktop" to /usr/share/applications, called "Rox-opens-MntHome" using the execution argument "rox /mnt/home" and added that "application" to lxpanel. But being a creature of habit, I'd prefer not having to remember that clicking a desktop drive icon doesn't work as expected.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 24 Jan 2014, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Drive contents not displayed when desktop icon clicked

#450 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr wrote:Perhaps it's just a bi-product of having immediately installed OpenboxPlus?
Have you tried a clean install to see if you can replicate the problem?

mikeslr

Drive-mounting via desktop drive icon problem

#451 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rcrsn51,

Actually, I suspect it may be related to kdenlive. It was created for Saluki, which employs the xfce-thunar combo in which xfce (rather than rox?) handles icons for drives partitions. Beyond the kdenlive.sfs, itself, a "base" sfs must first be installed. Perhaps the later interfere with rox?'s usual functions. On another computer I have Slacko 5.5 & phatslacko running, both with OpenboxPlus. Nether reflects the problem. The easiest way to tell, which I'll do shortly, is simply unload the kdenlive sfses and see if that solves it: One of the great advantages of SFSes over pets.
Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Booted back into Slacko 5.6 and was inspired to click a desktop drive icon again before unloading kdenlive. The selected partition opened showing files and folders. On occasion the universe takes pleasure in driving me mad. This must have been one of them.
Edit: Nope. I had inadvertently booted into Slacko 5.3.3 which doesn't have the problem. Slacko 5.6 still does. Unloading kdenlive.sfs and its Base.sfs resolves it. It's worth keeping Slacko 5.3.3, or x-slacko 5.6 if kdenlive is important.

mikesLr

mini-jaguar

#452 Post by mini-jaguar »

Keef wrote:mini-jaguar

That is just a terminal window reduced to minimum size. Why it is there though, I have no idea.
Spyware/backdoors would be a bit crapif they advertised themselves that way, so I wouldn't worry that much.
Try running htop with no other progs running, and see what shows up.
Actually, I think it just announces if your camera is on or off in PAVrecord, something like that, wasn't connected to the internet when it came up.

rufwoof

New user - suggestions for next release

#453 Post by rufwoof »

As a new user of Slacko 5.6, first perception based things I'd like to see different in the next release are :

Better choice of colors in the terminal urxvt i.e .Xdefaults values changed (and HTOP also)

Firefox cache set to zero so doesn't fill up savefile space (perhaps also defaulting automatic updates to being off)

Inclusion of at76c50x-usb-firmware.pet i.e. better hardware detection (Belkin F5060 wireless adapter).

Better handling of NVIDIA cards - my Slacko boot DVD initially booted to a black screen. Only after booting to command prompt and then invoking xorgwizard and selecting nv standard was I able to get a GUI up and running.

Better support of multiple sound cards. The 'Multiple Sound Card Wizard' selection/setting of the sound card doesn't always persist across sessions. Appears that detection at boot time is random/different (timing) and a fix appears to be to change the hardware configuration from hw:0 to 'default' i.e.

1. Right-click on the speaker icon in the task bar.
2. Choose Config Window from the menu that pops up.
3. Click the Hardware tab.
4. Change Sound Card from "hw:0" to "default".

Better choice of colors/default font in GTK Themes. When OpenOffice is installed (SFS) the check boxes in OpenOffice CALC don't show whether they're checked or not under some GTK themes default settings (setting GTK Theme font to bold helps)

Otherwise really pleased. A big thanks to all concerned.

killapup

#454 Post by killapup »

bigpup wrote:killapup,

As I asked before, this info will give us a clue as to what may be going on.
My signature statement is so true. What you do not tell us is usually the clue to solving the problem.
I am posting this to extend my apologies to bigpup and gcmartin for not responding to their posts in this thread. I had been distracted (family matters) and haven't done anything much with linux since my last post, which didn't address the issue. I have subsequently reinstalled 5.6 and fixed the grub4dos menu.lst and both are working fine. Precise 5.7, Porteus 3 and Quirky 6.1 also reside comfortably alongside the others.

I hope you will both accept my apologies, and thanks for your valued input on the forum.

Now on to 5.7... See my post on 5.7 thread.
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM
Also VectorLinux64 plus many others :D

bigpup

#455 Post by bigpup »

Slacko 5.6 being offered on the DVD that comes with latest issue of Linux Magazine issue 163 June 2014.
This month we give you a multilingual, multidistro DVD with six light Live Linux distributions.
Puppy Linux – Puppy Linux is a fun, friendly, and fast Linux distro fit for newbies.
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/20 ... dium=email
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)