error.log file appeared in /root

For discussions about security.
8-bit

error.log file appeared in /root

#1 Post by 8-bit »

I had a file called error.log appear in /root that I do not remember ever being seen before and do not know what application may have made it.

Should I be concerned?

The contents of it are:

Just for information
\-> The module : [ERM V5.1.0 : 'Error Manager' of SEP 06 1997] is initialized with the id #0

Just for information
\-> The module : [MMG V6.0.1 : 'Memory Manager' of Mar 12 1998] is initialized with the id #1

Just for information
\-> The module : [GMT V5.0.0 : 'Game material module' of Aug 18 1999] is initialized with the id #2

Just for information
\-> The module : [SCR V5.5.2 : 'Scripts Module' of Aug 18 1999] is initialized with the id #3

Just for information
\-> The module : [GAM V5.7.0 : 'Game library' of Sept 01 1997] is initialized with the id #4

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

Since I did not get any feedback on this post, I investigated it myself.
And in doing so, I found that the files in question evidently came from an application called GTK YouTube Viewer.
Also, I assume that those files came to be as a result of me having an internet connection that drops frequently, fluctuates and degrades as to the speed and quality of the connection.

And also, those files may be a form of feedback from wget which is used by GTK YouTube Viewer to download video files.
And with my flaky internet connection, about the only way I can watch any longer video is to download it first.

I went to download a 45 minute video and the download took over two hours with a connection speed of 1.5gbs.

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

Can you give a link for the GTK YouTube Viewer. , since there are several YouTube apps around in the additional software section ?

If that is shell script , it should be not too difficult to make it
2>>${PROGRAMNAME}.error..log

to avoid confusion .

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

The GTK Youtube viewer application I am using was found at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 33&t=76835.
I hope that answers your question.

amigo

#5 Post by amigo »

If it's the one I'm thinking, then it is a python script -the word 'module' in the error output might be that -or more likely that text comes straight from the script/program.

Edit: Ooops, I checked and it is a 'perl' script with libs.