Looking for rootkits on Windows with Puppy ?

For discussions about security.
Monsie

#16 Post by Monsie »

Barkin,

I understand your point about wanting to use a Linux based program to check for rootkit(s) on Windows. Unfortunately, some apps such as Rootkit Hunter
are not being kept up to date...

While doing a search, I found this Windows app. It appears to be under active development, fairly up to date, and is supposed to use a random name for its exe file so that rootkits cannot easily detect it...

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Barkin

Re: Looking for rootkits on Windows with Puppy ?

#17 Post by Barkin »

Thanks Monsie,
I've used that app, GMER, on windows, but my objective was to find a root-kit finder which was not running on the system being scanned, just in case it was being blinded by sophisticated malware also running on the windows OS.

Would GMER work if it ran on Linux via WINE ?, or would it just search WINE for rookits , rather than the real windows OS ?

Monsie

#18 Post by Monsie »

Barkin, I think it would be useful to test whether gmer would work under Wine or not, then report the findings... 8)

While I have not used gmer, it seems to me that the gui should have a provision to select the hard drive and/or partition to scan... --otherwise its functionality is rather limited. Even if the average user does not work with partitions, many computers manufactured today come with two hard drives.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.