Network printer won't work with Puppy's firewall on SOLVED

For discussions about security.
Smithy

Network printer won't work with Puppy's firewall on SOLVED

#1 Post by Smithy »

I would like to know how to add some code to let 631(?) through Puppy Firewall.

It seems that the printer will not function with the firewall on.

Code: Select all

#! /bin/sh
Exec=roxterm
iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -F INPUT
iptables -N inbound
iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -j inbound
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

iptables -A inbound -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A inbound -m state --state RELATED -j ACCEPT

Solved
Putting this code into IP Tables seems to work.

iptables -A INPUT -i pp0 -p tcp --sport 631 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

rcrsn51

Re: Network printer won't work with Puppy's firewall on SOLVED

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Smithy wrote:

iptables -A INPUT -i pp0 -p tcp --sport 631 -m state --state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
I tried this and it did not work for me. But I have always found the detection of remote IPP printers to be flaky, with or without a firewall. Here are some things that do work for me.

1. Run the Firewall Wizard on the client and declare the print server as "trusted".

2. On the Puppy client, run CUPS Add Printer and install the remote printer manually using the IPP protocol. As a "local" printer with a remote target, it is always visible to apps like Abiword and works through a full firewall. But the print server needs a static IP address for this to be useful.

3. Assuming that the remote printer is being driven by a Puppy machine, run the p910nd server on it. Let it do the serving instead of CUPS. On the client machine, install the printer manually using the socket protocol.

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

Yes I think telling it or making it be local seems to be key rcrn51.

I did a test from scratch, tried that code and it came through eventually, but I had to do an edit sfs to make sure the etc cups setup was transferred and the darned thing is fixed in time. I don't really understand the routing, but am happy that it will print now. :wink: