How to use Puppy to repair Ubuntu grub2 MBR of your hd

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
watchdog

How to use Puppy to repair Ubuntu grub2 MBR of your hd

#1 Post by watchdog »

It can happen that your pc with ubuntu and grub2 (grub-pc) even in dual-boot with windows gets its mbr damaged. There are several tutorials on the internet how to repair mbr by a ubuntu live cd/dvd. I use puppy linux. You can use puppy in ram mode or you can boot a pupsave on your hd. Assuming that sdax contains the ubuntu install you have to type the following commands in puppy console:

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/dir
mount /dev/sdax /mnt/dir
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dir/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/dir/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/dir/sys
chroot /mnt/dir
grub-install /dev/sda
exit
umount /mnt/dir/dev
umount /mnt/dir/proc
umount /mnt/dir/sys
umount /mnt/dir
Restart your system.

greengeek

#2 Post by greengeek »

Hi watchdog, you mention a dualboot ubuntu / windows scenario - would this code allow me to rebuild the mbr on a "windows only" PC?

My Windows machine is dead, and has not come back to life despite me running the recovery CDs, so I can afford to try a few things like this. Just looking for ways to rewrite the mbr in case that is why it wont boot.

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

No. This procedure will work if you already installed grub and it gets damaged. I don't know if it is possible to install grub without any linux distribution and chainload windows. Now I am experimenting with Plop boot manager. I'll post some interesting things. I suggest you this software:

http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/download.html

Download Plop boot manager cd and try to boot your windows with it. You can install it to hd as boot manager if it works.

Edit. As second choice I suggest you ubcd. Do you know "Ultimate Boot Cd"?

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

It is a selection of tools open source to repair disks. I used it to delete hidden encrypted partitions in usb sticks where gparted fails. Ubcd can contain some tools that can help you to repair your windows installation.