Code: Select all

mkdir puppy
5.) Do:

adduser -h /home/puppy puppy
6.) Do:

passwd linux
Replace puppy with desired username & replace linux with desired password.

It is much safer to browse the web with a non-root account.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Much safer? Can you give us any examples where someone got into trouble because they were browsing the Internet as root?

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

not exactly but a lot people would avoid browsing as root (for security reasons).

I think that was even discussed in the Security section here.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

But would that really be a multi user environ at all.
Puppy have user Spot and user Fido if one tell it too
and user root? but it is still root when it boot
even if you make use of Spot and Fido or any other name.

It can not be anything else but root due to how it is set up.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

RSH

#5 Post by RSH »

President John F. Kennedy Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City April 27, 1961 wrote:The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to know.
I believe the word "security" is mostly used in a sense like "secrecy". To let you only run as "user" could also mean: "We do not want you to be able to have a look at our files" - especially in so called closed source Operating Systems like WIndows and Apple OS (from the perspective of corporations)

From the perspective of computer users it seems like mostly used in a sense like: no one should be able to watch my illegal files.
bark_bark_bark wrote:not exactly but a lot people would avoid browsing as root (for security reasons).
I do believe also, all those guys would like to choose to live as "user" - if possible. But -fortunately- we are made to live as root!

RSH
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

e_mattis

still no choice?

#6 Post by e_mattis »

So there is still no .pet or script available to add users and passwords easily -other than hard-code through the terminal? :cry:

This would be nice to have just because some people may end up sharing the computer - work, etc. - and would be nice to have some files others didn't see.

There was a 'multiuser' done by pizzagood in 4.3.1 i think. is there nothing newer?

Thanks!

E

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Don't at least some recent Puppies have a menu item for adding and configuring users? I couldn't find anything in Precise, but I think I've seen something in other Puppies.

e_mattis

#8 Post by e_mattis »

Not that i'm aware of Flash.
I've been using Lupu5.2.8, precise5.4.3, and wary 5.4.1 for a while now and don't remember seeing anything in them. Will look again though.

Thanks!

E

Semme

#9 Post by Semme »

Multi-user? >> Pup IS NOT. Get the notion outta yer head.

Pup is, first and foremost- a *developers* distro..

Learn, have fun- enjoy the ride..

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

The most practical way I can imagine for several people to share a computer while insuring privacy is for each person to run Puppy from his or her own multisession DVD or flash drive. This has the added advantage that they can run their Puppy in other computers.

plinius

adduser

#11 Post by plinius »

HI. First time here, and first time a run Puppy.

I was just looking for some informations about adding a new user and avoiding browsing as root or run apps like xchat as root.
As long I can understand, is it not possible to add a standard user in puppy...right?
Is it not possible to login as root, add a standard user and login again..Am I missing something?

thank you

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

Puppy has always been a single-user, run-as-root distro, although recent versions let you run certain apps as a non-privileged user.

If that concept bothers you, look at Fatdog. It has an option to run as multi-user.

The easiest way to have multiple Puppy users is to do multiple frugal installs that are selected from the GRUB boot menu.

ThoriumBlvd

#13 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

RSH wrote:
President John F. Kennedy Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, New York City April 27, 1961 wrote:The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment. That I do not intend to permit to the extent that it is in my control. And no official of my Administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes or to withhold from the press and the public the facts they deserve to know.
I realize Puppy & derivitives run as root. To this end I have no quarrel. The original ASUS version of Linux, used right now by me, has set up a root & user account. I am not a perpetrator, criminal, or ne'er do well. I also think JFK's words have been parsed in this era. I would challenge the authority of any entity that spies on all citizens without due and proper reason citing tangible evidence and or direct witness. Perhaps we should repeal a few of the Constitutional Amendments, because we are not committing a crime, or criminal act, and we no longer need these protections of our person and our inherent desire to be open and honest. And by the way, share your house with your favorite branch of security detail, there's no harm gonna happen with a living security prescence, right? Just a thought upon the path being followed. /OT

L18L

Re: How to add users and assign Passwords

#14 Post by L18L »

bark_bark_bark wrote: 6.) Do:

passwd linux
Replace puppy with desired username & replace linux with desired password.
should be

passwd puppy

# passwd --help
BusyBox v1.21.0 (2013-02-18 15:57:06 WST) multi-call binary.

Usage: passwd [OPTIONS] [USER]

Change USER's password (default: current user)

-a ALG	Encryption method
	-d	Set password to ''
	-l	Lock (disable) account
	-u	Unlock (enable) account

#

mikeb

#15 Post by mikeb »

Its works better if useradd/usermod/user/del are added and used instead...does a neater job of adding and removing users and a /etc/skel folder is used to create the new profile in /home.

Move xwin launching to initab, make /tmp 0777, and some other twiddles to get the shutdown sequence working. Slim makes a neat login manager that does not require extra dependancies.

And dump those awful drive icons and use something else cos they are a pain under another user. There are other scripts that need /root changing to ~

su login gives sudobility ....

its fun

mike