Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Ray MK

#91 Post by Ray MK »

One very minor niggle - touchpad and tapping almost unusable at first startup - not too hard to fix with >menu>setup>adjust touch pad.

Other than that - this has to be the best LH64 ever.
Everything works, suspend, resume, cpu management, wifi, etc. Feels fast.

So much from such a modest sized puppy - thank you Tazoc.
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

rcrsn51

Re: Burniso2cd

#92 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Burniso2cd does not work, it just brings up the following screen when trying to burn a cd.
On Line 20, change "cdrom" to "optical".

Or replace burniso2cd with PeasyDisc.

edoc

#93 Post by edoc »

edoc wrote:In BIOS System Configuration the ]Legacy Support is Enabled.

The description reads: When Legacy Support is enabled, BIOS will load Compatibility Support Module (CSM) to support Legacy OS such as Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and DOS. When Legacy Support is disabled, BIOS will boot in UEFI Mode without CSM to support newer OS such as Windows 8."
If I turn Legacy Mode OFF I gather that it will stop MS win7 from loading but will that help or hurt LH64-b2 in any way (perhaps solving the no-boot Frugal problem) or make no difference?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Jim1911

#94 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Burniso2cd does not work, it just brings up the following screen when trying to burn a cd.

Which file should be changed?

Thanks,
Jim

Billtoo

Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4

#95 Post by Billtoo »

I moved my Lighthouse 64 beta 2 install to an older HP desktop pc.
I booted with the option that doesn't load x and ran xorgwizard-puppy
then chose probe and the correct screen resolution.
I needed to run the multiple sound card wizard and then reboot to get
it to use the usb sound card that I'm using.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Thu 4 Jul 2013 on Lighthouse64 602 Linux 3.8.7 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RV530 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (381x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV530
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3300+
Core 0: @1800 MHz

Audio Adapter USB-Audio - Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro

It's working well here too.
Attachments
screenshot4.jpg
(53.41 KiB) Downloaded 589 times

AwesomesaurusRex

#96 Post by AwesomesaurusRex »

Can this run any 32bit applications? I read that slackware 64 can if it has some extra stuff in it. Does this have that stuff or no? There are a bunch of older 32bit apps id like to run.

tazoc

UEFI Hard drive (frugal) installation of LH64

#97 Post by tazoc »

edoc wrote:I'm dead in the water here ... :cry:

Does the Frugal boot folder have to be FAT32 or can it be Linux-swap or ext3 or something better than FAT32?

I've run out of guesses here ...
from http://www.lhpup.org/help/faqs/uefi-harddrive.html Step 2:
Right click on the 'unallocated' partition. This should be the same size that you shrunk your C: drive in Windows.
Select 'New', the Create new Partition window will pop up.
On the File system pull-down menu select 'fat32'.
For 'New size (MiB):' enter 1024. That makes 1GB.
Enter a Label for the new partition, then click Add.
OK, now it looks like you've already shrunk your C: drive and sda4 is a Linux ext3, so you can shrink sda4 by 1 GiB in GParted and then create a new 1 GiB Fat32 partition as above. Yes, this new partition must be Fat32; please do not use sda1 for this new partition, sda1 should be reserved for Windows to avoid problems with hibernation.

Once you've finished Steps 2 and 3 your new Fat32 partition should look like this in ROX-Filer, except that initrd will be initrd.xz and instead of sda8 will be sda6 or whatever GParted uses for the new partition:
In Step 4, change:
options "pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda7"
to
options "pmedia=atahd pdev1=sda4"
Also, when the Frugal setup requested a name for the MS win7 partition in refind.conf (it actually assumed win8) I entered sda1 because I didn't see the NEB (?) or SYSTEM label anywhere.
Click on the Drives icon on the desktop of LH64 to find the label of sda1, I don't know what HP uses.
edoc wrote:In BIOS System Configuration the ]Legacy Support is Enabled.Could Legacy Mode - Enabled - be interfering in some way?
CSM is good I think, that's what I'm using here. But you can try either way and see what works best for you.
I hope to never use MS win7 so it's not a problem should I have to stop & edit BIOS should a rare need arise - I really want LH64 to work! :-)

More info ... the Boot Manager Options are:

USB Hard Drive (UEFI)

OS Boot Manager

Boot from EFI File
That's it! In Step 5 of the UEFI Install, use 'Boot from EFI File' to add the new boot option, which will start the a LH64 (rEFInd) boot menu from the new Fat32 partition.
Generally on the boot tab you will find some way to add a new boot option. After you find the button to to add a boot option, you will be asked to select a partition. This is kind of cryptic as well, and might take some guessing. Then you will be asked to browse to a bootable EFI application, this will be EFI/boot/bootx64.efi on your new fat32 partition. If you can't browse to that path or you can't see the files that you put in your fat32 partition under EFI/boot/, you probably picked the wrong partition. After you have added your new boot option, move that new boot option to the top of the boot order. Again, this will vary with different UEFI implementations. Then save and reboot.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

tazoc

#98 Post by tazoc »

Sylvander wrote:
tazoc wrote:Please try the Lighthouse 64 boot option
pfix=noautosave
Enter it on the kernel line. From the LiveCD boot menu, press <tab> (BIOS firmware)
Did this [SUPERB!], but [even though I save the session changes] it only lasts for that session [not auto-applied at the next].
How should I make it permanent?
So far it is experimental and not persistent when booting from LiveCD. I made a note to add a dialog to Boot Manager and update the init script so that it will be persistent in the next release.
Barburo wrote:Chrome browser opens up and CPU rapidly goes to 99% to 100% and stays there.

The browser opens (slowly) and I sometimes get the "unresponsive page" alert, but chrome continues to work but slower than molasses. Obviously not what I need.

Firefox uses a similar large CPU on startup but rapidly diminished to usual levels with excellent responsiveness.

I use Chromium-browser in Precise Puppy 5.5 and Mint14 on this same box, and it behaves normally without the memory usage problem.

Any suggestions about how I can Chrome working properly?
B.
Hi Barburo,
I have no idea, try starting from a terminal:

Code: Select all

google-chrome-spot
or

google-chrome
(as root) to see if there are any clues.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

tazoc

#99 Post by tazoc »

Jim1911 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:

Which file should be changed?
/usr/sbin/burniso2cd
Better yet, use Pburn in the Multimedia menu and click 'Burn ISO-image'.
AwesomesaurusRex wrote:Can this run any 32bit applications? I read that slackware 64 can if it has some extra stuff in it. Does this have that stuff or no? There are a bunch of older 32bit apps id like to run.
No, only Wine (windows apps) should be 32-bit, and only if the optional Wine SFS is loaded. Better to use a 32-bit OS if you need the older apps.

AwesomesaurusRex

#100 Post by AwesomesaurusRex »

tazoc wrote:No, only Wine (windows apps) should be 32-bit, and only if the optional Wine SFS is loaded. Better to use a 32-bit OS if you need the older apps.
Are there any options for me to run 32bit stuff in LHP? I don't want to run any of the 32 bit releases, because I've had driver issues with them. LHP works great on my laptop. Can I take parts of the slacko release and add them into LHP?

Sylvander

#101 Post by Sylvander »

tazoc wrote:...it will be persistent in the next release.
a. GREAT! :D
I'll try to be patient whilst waiting for that to be released.

b. What about smm?
Any chance of a PET for a 64-bit version of that [or even better, something as good as Mailwasher?]

edoc

Re: UEFI Hard drive (frugal) installation of LH64

#102 Post by edoc »

Thanks!

It took about 8 hours for gparted to change the partition but that's done.

I have the files & folders moved and had already edited refind.conf so I just moved that as well.
tazoc wrote:That's it! In Step 5 of the UEFI Install, use 'Boot from EFI File' to add the new boot option, which will start the a LH64 (rEFInd) boot menu from the new Fat32 partition.
It's never that simple for me ... :roll:

I get File Explorer containing several lines of mostly indecipherable characters.

I selected the one containing the partition label lh64b2 and was taken to another File Explorer window where it displayed:

<drivers>
<EFI>
<fonts>
<keys>
<$RECYCLE.BIN>
Shellx64.efi
I tried Shellx64.efi and ended up in the EFI Shell.

I exited and booted LH64b2 from the USB stick with disable Radeon & pfix=ram.

What did I do incorrectly, please?

[/quote]
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#103 Post by edoc »

Wait! Is this where I messed up? :roll:

refind.config should be in the FAT32 partition I have labeled lh64b2 - yes?

BUT ...

Should the partition pointers in refind.conf for LH64 be sda4 or lh64b2?

Right now I have them pointing to sda4.

NOTE: One of the lines to which I refer reads ...

---->options "pmedia-atahd pdev1=sda4
Should it rather read ...

---->options "pmedia-atahd pdev1=lh64b2
Looking at this discussion of refind.conf I am uncertain which is the 'normal boot partition'; sda1 only contains a folder labeled "EFI" and a file labeled "grldr" whereas sda3 contains all of the MS win7 files and folders.
menuentry "Windows 8" {
volume ESP (Change ESP to whatever your normal boot partition is. Usually it's sda1 and is labeled ESP or SYSTEM.)
loader \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
}

If you have problems with refind not finding the ESP partiton when booting , it may show an error like bootmgfw.efi not found. You can try changing volume from ESP to 0: (That's a zero and a colon. The zero represents the first partition. If the normal boot partition is on sda2, then you would want "volume 1:".)
Last edited by edoc on Fri 05 Jul 2013, 22:04, edited 3 times in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

gcmartin

#104 Post by gcmartin »

Hi @AwesomesaurusRex

Understanding that LH64 does not run native linux 32bit apps with any reliablilty, and understanding your need, this might help:
  1. VirtualBox
  2. KVM-QEMU
If you are not familiar with either, what they do is allow you to "boot" an additional PC (virtually) in the running LH64. When you boot the additional running PC within your lh64 you can start and run linux 32bit apps in that virtual PC while the LH64 is running its 64bit/Wine(windows) apps.

There is several Puppy threads on VirtualBox. FATDOG64, in its recent version, added QEMU-KVM, OOTB. LH64 has always offered VirtualBOX as an add-on.

Hope this helps, as, its the manner that I have been running a 64bit Linux OS and a 32bit Linux OS on the same PC harmoniously-together simultaneously.

AwesomesaurusRex

#105 Post by AwesomesaurusRex »

gcmartin wrote:Understanding that LH64 does not run native linux 32bit apps with any reliablilty, and understanding your need, this might help:
  1. VirtualBox
  2. KVM-QEMU
If you are not familiar with either, what they do is allow you to "boot" an additional PC (virtually) in the running LH64. When you boot the additional running PC within your lh64 you can start and run linux 32bit apps in that virtual PC while the LH64 is running its 64bit/Wine(windows) apps.
i have heard of virtualbox before. ive never heard of that 2nd one. from some googling it looks like virtualbox is completely separate from the rest of my system. its like its in its own little, box, for lack of a better word.
is there some way to make it work so I still have the ability to get to my files on the rest of my computer from inside the box?

edoc

#106 Post by edoc »

Does this ...
Step 5

Now reboot your computer and press f2 to enter UEFI setup (Some computers use a different key to enter setup). Then add your new fat32 partition as a boot option. Unfortunately this process varies quite a bit.

For this particular laptop you have to disable secure boot to use the "File Browser Add Boot Option", then re-enable it when your done. Again this process varies a lot. Generally on the boot tab you will find some way to add a new boot option. After you find the button to to add a boot option, you will be asked to select a partition. This is kind of cryptic as well, and might take some guessing. Then you will be asked to browse to a bootable EFI application, this will be EFI/boot/bootx64.efi on your new fat32 partition. If you can't browse to that path or you can't see the files that you put in your fat32 partition under EFI/boot/, you probably picked the wrong partition. After you have added your new boot option, move that new boot option to the top of the boot order. Again, this will vary with different UEFI implementations. Then save and reboot.
... have anything to do with this ...
Shim UEFI Key Management

Continue boot
enroll key from disk
Enroll hash from disk
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#107 Post by edoc »

Generally on the boot tab you will find some way to add a new boot option.
Is this the same thing as the GRUB menu?
GNU GRUB Version 2.00

Find /grub.cfg, /boot/grub.cfg, /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Manually specify location of grub.cfg to use
Shutdown
Reboot
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Meshworks

LHP64 602 B2 / NVIDIA 6150 DRIVERS

#108 Post by Meshworks »

Hi again Taz...

I've been running 513 all of this time and felt like trying to get current again!

Of course with my onboard NVIDIA 6150 I've hit a problem installing a driver capable of direct rendering for WoW and Compiz...

The available prebuilt driver doesn't include support for the 6150.

I pulled NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run from the nvidia site which includes 6 series support, and when i compile with getnvidia all seems to go ok with no errors... until i run anything GL related:

bash-4.1# glxinfo
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
When I compile the package without getnvidia eg:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run 
The compile goes almost to the end ... then complains about a bunch of files ... cannot create symlink file exists .... press ok to continue ... then the compilation finishes apparently ok ... but with above error when i run GL related software.

5.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2)  
  oem: NVIDIA
  product: Crush50 Board - c51pv1 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg   Driver: nvidia

I had a similar problem with 5.13 which has been my main OS since release, but managed a work around for that, so tried compiling earlier drivers eg: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run --- However the compile complains 'Cannot find kernel sources' and gives up!

I'm sticking with 6.02 anyway... I still have my old 513 save files if i wanna play WoW but would like this fixed. Any ideas? I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Nvidia to add support for my outdated kit to the new drivers!

Only other problems I have (apart from the obvious!) are:
Gparted never manages to build a list of drives on my box... just keeps scanning. (workaround = use older version of gparted on different LHP release).
Firstsave wont allow me to select which of the partitions on my disk to place the save file! Always goes for sda3 despite plenty of room on sda1! (workaround = create savefile as required, boot clean, move savefile and sfs to desired partition and reboot).

Hope all is well with you. Keep on truckin'.

Q5sys

Re: LHP64 602 B2 / NVIDIA 6150 DRIVERS

#109 Post by Q5sys »

Meshworks wrote:Hi again Taz...

I've been running 513 all of this time and felt like trying to get current again!

Of course with my onboard NVIDIA 6150 I've hit a problem installing a driver capable of direct rendering for WoW and Compiz...

The available prebuilt driver doesn't include support for the 6150.

I pulled NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run from the nvidia site which includes 6 series support, and when i compile with getnvidia all seems to go ok with no errors... until i run anything GL related:

bash-4.1# glxinfo
glxinfo: error while loading shared libraries: libGL.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
When I compile the package without getnvidia eg:

./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.88.run 
The compile goes almost to the end ... then complains about a bunch of files ... cannot create symlink file exists .... press ok to continue ... then the compilation finishes apparently ok ... but with above error when i run GL related software.

5.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150] (rev a2)  
  oem: NVIDIA
  product: Crush50 Board - c51pv1 Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg   Driver: nvidia

I had a similar problem with 5.13 which has been my main OS since release, but managed a work around for that, so tried compiling earlier drivers eg: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run --- However the compile complains 'Cannot find kernel sources' and gives up!

I'm sticking with 6.02 anyway... I still have my old 513 save files if i wanna play WoW but would like this fixed. Any ideas? I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for Nvidia to add support for my outdated kit to the new drivers!

Only other problems I have (apart from the obvious!) are:
Gparted never manages to build a list of drives on my box... just keeps scanning. (workaround = use older version of gparted on different LHP release).
Firstsave wont allow me to select which of the partitions on my disk to place the save file! Always goes for sda3 despite plenty of room on sda1! (workaround = create savefile as required, boot clean, move savefile and sfs to desired partition and reboot).

Hope all is well with you. Keep on truckin'.
The ELF class error is because you probably accidently clicked YES for installing the 32bit GL libs. (next time choose NO) Its an option in the RUN file.

The symlink errors usually occur when you try to re-install the nvidia.run package after its already created the symlinks.

Best option, create a new save file, then run the older .RUN file that you were using the first time, but make sure you do NOT select the 32bit compatibility. Dont run it with the get nvidia script. Its actually really easy to do on its own. Simply give the .run file executable permissions, exit X to shell, then sh NVIDIA-####.run
then just follow the prompts. when its done and you're back at shell... just type xorgwizard or xorgwizard-puppy and select the nvidia driver.
once you're in X you can tweak your settings with the nvidia-settings utility.
OH, and make sure you've blacklisted the Nouveau driver before doing any of this!
Any problems just let me know.

The symlink error is because you ar

Q5sys

#110 Post by Q5sys »

AwesomesaurusRex wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Understanding that LH64 does not run native linux 32bit apps with any reliablilty, and understanding your need, this might help:
  1. VirtualBox
  2. KVM-QEMU
i have heard of virtualbox before. ive never heard of that 2nd one. from some googling it looks like virtualbox is completely separate from the rest of my system. its like its in its own little, box, for lack of a better word.
is there some way to make it work so I still have the ability to get to my files on the rest of my computer from inside the box?
I think what may work for you is to run something like Slacko in a Linux Container. However the only person I know here who's tinkering around with Linux Containers is JamesBond, so you might want to poke at him and see if he can point you in the right direction. You'll need a newer kernel, both he and I are both doing testing on the 3.9.4 kernel with LXC support.
If I get time this weekend, and my sister doesnt interrupt me too much, I'm going to see about building the 3.10 kernel with LXC support.