Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
atv

firefox update

#526 Post by atv »

Zavala wrote:
Are we supposed to update Firefox, or not?
I have been updating firefox regularly for about a year with no problems so far.
The best way i found is to run Firefox as root, as follows:
Click open a terminal window, type firefox then when firefox starts go to the help tab, go to about and firefox checks for latest updates and it updates itself.
Do a restart and check the about function until there are no more updates, then close the terminal window and now you are set.

Just run FF as default user spot, saving to the Downloads folder; then click on the Downloads desktop icon and move files elsewhere as needed.

gcmartin

How to get the Firefox upgrade in LightHouse64

#527 Post by gcmartin »

Here's the approach I use when FF indicates an available pgrage. FF runs normally as user "spot". Since it's impossible to upgrade under normal use, LH offers a friendly Menu option to allow running FF in a mode (root) for updating.

See pic below.
Attachments
Run Firefox as root to update.gif
Open FF as root. Goto FF's Menubar>Help>About ... It will update to most current stable version.
(179.37 KiB) Downloaded 362 times

edoc

#528 Post by edoc »

Firefox isn't showing a Help or About option when opened from Console.

Also, I'm getting this in Add-On updates:
VLC Web PluginVersion 2.0.6 Twoflower, copyright 1996-2012 VideoLAN and Authors
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ vulnerable
Is there a preferred way to update VLC in Puppy LH64?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

edoc

#529 Post by edoc »

Never mind ... I ignored the instructions - opened "Firefox Help" from the Menu - clicked on the pop-up for the update - chose Reboot - clicked on Firefox Root in the window - allowed update to run - closed Firefox Root - opened Firefox Spot from the desktop - it checked Add Ons for compatibility & no problems ... thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Deacon

Cannot run CD on desktop

#530 Post by Deacon »

Hello, I use Lighthouse on an easily overheated laptop, so I am trying to switch it to a desktop (booting from CD). It goes through the almost entire sequence of boot (past loading SFS files, and the text size adapts to the monitor size, so it's past that) and then after a few lines says "Recursive error fixed but reboot required!"

Rebooting then leads to a repeat.

Has anyone ever seen this message?

gcmartin

#531 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Deacon.

Is this the first time you are using your DVD to boot? If so, did you check the MD5 after you downloaded the ISO onto your PC before you burned it? This sounds like a problem which occurs from either a bad download or a bad burn.

Another problem which can result is when one has booted their ISO, ran their system, and at Shutdown, they did NOT allow the save-session process they started to complete leaving an inconsistent, incomplete save-session on the DVD. If you, indeed,remember aborting during a save-session, you can recover by hitting F1 during the bootsplash and telling the boot process to ignore the last save session(s).

Code: Select all

lhp pfix=1 (or some number of session to IGNORE)
If this were me, I would try booting, hitting F2 and entering the

lhp pfix=fsck,ram
for DVD boot.If this boots to desktop, then the initial burn was good, but, you have created bad save-sessions on the DVD.

Here to help

Deacon

#532 Post by Deacon »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Deacon.

Is this the first time you are using your DVD to boot? If so, did you check the MD5 after you downloaded the ISO onto your PC before you burned it? This sounds like a problem which occurs from either a bad download or a bad burn.
No-- I've actually installed Lighthouse on another machine using that same CD. I'll double check the checksum.
Another problem which can result is when one has booted their ISO, ran their system, and at Shutdown, they did NOT allow the save-session process they started to complete leaving an inconsistent, incomplete save-session on the DVD. If you, indeed,remember aborting during a save-session, you can recover by hitting F1 during the bootsplash and telling the boot process to ignore the last save session(s).

lhp pfix=1 (or some number of session to IGNORE)
If this were me, I would try booting, hitting F2 and entering the

lhp pfix=fsck,ram
for DVD boot.If this boots to desktop, then the initial burn was good, but, you have created bad save-sessions on the DVD.

Here to help
That is indeed possible-- I didn't realize the disk was still writable? Will try that and see what the results are.

EDIT: I tried hitting F1 which listed options. But wasn't sure how to type them in. Tried to run "Lighthouse without save file" in the boot menu, same errors.

I've taken a picture, somewhat blurry, of the screen.
[img=http://s1.postimg.org/c3opr0tfv/image.jpg] [img=http://s1.postimg.org/ivf4tviff/0729142133_00.jpg]

gcmartin

Instructions to address a PC system trap at boot time

#533 Post by gcmartin »

That looks like a system trap (like a blue screen in Microsoft). Various things can cause this. Rarely happens, but ...

Try this
If you have another PC to test on, take you DVD and see it boots. If it does,then assume the DVD is OK and there is a problem with this trapping PC

If the Lighthouse64 (LH64) DVD boots on another PC, then here's one other approach on this PC you can attempt.
On another PC get the FATDOG ISO, create a DVD, to see if it boots on this PC. It may. If so, come back to this thread and post results for some further things to try so that you can boot LH64 on your PC.

Summary
See if the DVD is still good and usable. Then find a 64bit FATDOG and boot it (newer kernel). If this works, we can then take next step(s) for LH64.

BTW, does anyone else have any ideas that should be employed?

Deacon

Re: Instructions to address a PC system trap at boot time

#534 Post by Deacon »

gcmartin wrote:That looks like a system trap (like a blue screen in Microsoft). Various things can cause this. Rarely happens, but ...

Try this
If you have another PC to test on, take you DVD and see it boots. If it does,then assume the DVD is OK and there is a problem with this trapping PC

If the Lighthouse64 (LH64) DVD boots on another PC, then here's one other approach on this PC you can attempt.
On another PC get the FATDOG ISO, create a DVD, to see if it boots on this PC. It may. If so, come back to this thread and post results for some further things to try so that you can boot LH64 on your PC.

Summary
See if the DVD is still good and usable. Then find a 64bit FATDOG and boot it (newer kernel). If this works, we can then take next step(s) for LH64.

BTW, does anyone else have any ideas that should be employed?
It is actually on a CD-- does that make a difference? It not only works fine on my overheating laptop (what I am using now-- it's overheated for a couple of years) but I can run it from CD fine (it's installed to the lap so I only do that if there's a crash).

I suspect it is in fact the computer. It currently has a small variant of Debian (Semplice) on it which crashes after a while due to overheats. It's a Foxconn motherboard. It was out of commission for a few months till we determined it had a bad RAM stick. Since removing it, it's been operational, but far buggier. I never tested the machine with LHP until it had 1GB on it (I figured switching to a Pup would improve performance)

gcmartin

#535 Post by gcmartin »

I cannot comment on CD use, never tried since the authors announced that their distros were "supported" on DVD (and not CDs). They never said CD wont work, just NOT supported (which means they wont entertain questions for things they don't support). Beside, ever 64bit PC comes with DVD peripheral (part of the manufacturer's bill-of-materials for 64bit PCs).

If you have the means to do so, you might try creating a DVD of the ISO and testing. I would give the steps and DVD a try.

I assume, too, that your PC has 1GB of RAM which should be adequate for just about everything you would want to do and with very good performance once booted.

There is a 32bit distro which I have tested using CDRWs that may boot. It is this stable Slacko edition. And, it has all of the same stuff that Lighthouse64-602 "Base" version has.

But, like you, I know the headaches caused by problematic hardware.

Here to help
P.S. Are you working with LH64's Mariner version or the Base version? AND are you using LH64-602?

Deacon

#536 Post by Deacon »

gcmartin wrote:I cannot comment on CD use, never tried since the authors announced that their distros were "supported" on DVD (and not CDs). They never said CD wont work, just NOT supported (which means they wont entertain questions for things they don't support). Beside, ever 64bit PC comes with DVD peripheral (part of the manufacturer's bill-of-materials for 64bit PCs).

If you have the means to do so, you might try creating a DVD of the ISO and testing. I would give the steps and DVD a try.

I assume, too, that your PC has 1GB of RAM which should be adequate for just about everything you would want to do and with very good performance once booted.

There is a 32bit distro which I have tested using CDRWs that may boot. It is this stable Slacko edition. And, it has all of the same stuff that Lighthouse64-602 "Base" version has.

But, like you, I know the headaches caused by problematic hardware.

Here to help
P.S. Are you working with LH64's Mariner version or the Base version? AND are you using LH64-602?
I am using LHP 6.02.

This is a 64-bit system. I can take pics of the inside of the machine. As I said- and as I am running it now- I want it to work on this.

This is not a complaint. I want to figure this one out and make it work. Whatever happened to this machine, I want to figure out why it is not working, and make it work, What you need me to do, I'll do. I have a DVD handy. But storage is storage-- I suspect a hardware issue to resolve. Will you help me?

Minnesota

over heating

#537 Post by Minnesota »

Not directly related to your immediate problem, but if you are willing to open the case of your laptop, you might want to check the fan on the laptop. It is very possible it is dirty and or not functioning. This often causes over heating. Portable under laptop fans are now very inexpensive if you like to put laptop on your lap. They fit under the case and help dissipate heat.

Deacon

Thanks again: Follow Up

#538 Post by Deacon »

Sorry about the late response. I think I wasn't clear. I have few problems with the overheating laptop (I'm using it now-- unlike other systems, as long as I don't go to say, dynamic sites like Twitter, my laptop works ok). Lighthouse is good and stable on it.

The problem was moving to a desktop system, that had been sidelined because of bad RAM, but we later discovered "worked" with 1G.

Alongside Lighthouse, we tried Semplice and my wife wanted to try "Simplicity Linux" (no offense to any fans of it, but tethering the user to your menu choices, not cool, it's like Anti-Mariner), but I said what the hey. In doing all three, we determined based on error messages:

1) a coprocessor on the machine is fried.
2) the hard drive was completely corrupted.
3) the fan was reacting to a hard drive it couldn't communicate with and clocking faster in its attempts to reach the dead drive.
4) Attempting reformatting and repartitioning the drive did nothing.

So, for all those concerned, I'll just say the desktop doesn't need a doctor, it needs a priest.

Thanks for all your help.

Deacon

Re: over heating

#539 Post by Deacon »

Minnesota wrote:Not directly related to your immediate problem, but if you are willing to open the case of your laptop, you might want to check the fan on the laptop. It is very possible it is dirty and or not functioning. This often causes over heating. Portable under laptop fans are now very inexpensive if you like to put laptop on your lap. They fit under the case and help dissipate heat.
I actually considered this, but as of today I found myself a nice little netbook to put mariner on. Now, I know I've seen somewhere that you can easily copy a frugal install from one computer to another, but I've forgotten how. Any insight on that?

gcmartin

LH64 makes booting any PC on your LAN, simple

#540 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Deacon

If you are running Mariner on one of your PC, then you can boot Mariner and any other PUP distro over the LAN to your 64bit netbook. Its really too simple!

Nothing to install! Nothing much to do except
  1. open the Menu.
  2. Click Menu>Network>Netboot-server
  3. Navigate to an ISO file you want to boot
  4. When it completes, Go to any LAN attached PC and tell it to boot from the LAN adapter
  5. Watch it boot the ISO you selected
The author made this all-too-simple to do for any LH64 user to do for any PC on their home LAN network. It is just too easy to be productive.

No DVD! no USB! no HDD! Nothing to tailor! Nothing to do! Just boot your LAN PC. Anyone can do it.

Here to help

Deacon

Re: LH64 makes booting any PC on your LAN, simple

#541 Post by Deacon »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @Deacon

If you are running Mariner on one of your PC, then you can boot Mariner and any other PUP distro over the LAN to your 64bit netbook. Its really too simple!

Nothing to install! Nothing much to do except
  1. open the Menu.
  2. Click Menu>Network>Netboot-server
  3. Navigate to an ISO file you want to boot
  4. When it completes, Go to any LAN attached PC and tell it to boot from the LAN adapter
  5. Watch it boot the ISO you selected
The author made this all-too-simple to do for any LH64 user to do for any PC on their home LAN network. It is just too easy to be productive.

No DVD! no USB! no HDD! Nothing to tailor! Nothing to do! Just boot your LAN PC. Anyone can do it.

Here to help
Wow. That does sound simple!

Watch me screw this up though... I'll be back ;) (of course if it works I'll be back anyway to say thanks)

EDIT: Ok I'm back. Just went to network on 6.02. There's no netboot server option! There is an "x11vnc-server" though

EDIT #2: Oops! Seems the menus are different when you change WM's! Found it. Now to wait for the computer!

edoc

#542 Post by edoc »

Is there a right or wrong way to solve this in LH64 or is it a no-go, please?
Enigmail: Unable to locate GnuPG executable in the PATH.
Make sure you have set the GnuPG executable path correctly in the OpenPGP Preferences.

To permanently avoid this alert, either fix the problem or uninstall
This error pops up & requires a mouse click for every email message read.

EDIT: I just used PPM to install GnuPG 2 with no notice of errors or missing libraries but still the same error. I cannot fine gnupg via OpenPGP Preferences in Extensions and when I search my files I'm not which gnupg file I am looking for.

Help, please?

Thanks - David
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Meshworks

Locate an executable

#543 Post by Meshworks »

Hi Edoc -
I dont know that mail package, but you could try:
whereis GnuPG
or
type GnuPG

jamesbond

#544 Post by jamesbond »

edoc wrote:Enigmail: Unable to locate GnuPG executable in the PATH.
Make sure you have set the GnuPG executable path correctly in the OpenPGP Preferences.
Have EnigMail ever worked for you? If not - that's because you don't have the gnupg. Try installing gnupg version 1.4. I think gnupg 2.x won't cut it. The name program you should look is "gpg".
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

edoc

Re: Locate an executable

#545 Post by edoc »

Meshworks wrote:Hi Edoc -
I dont know that mail package, but you could try:
whereis GnuPG
or
type GnuPG
bash-4.1# whereis GnuPG
GnuPG:
<root> ~
bash-4.1# GnuPG
sh: GnuPG: command not found
<root> ~
bash-4.1#
[b]Thanks! David[/b]