Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

#496 Post by edoc »

When you type "too many things at startup" are you referring to SFS files or something else?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

partsman

#497 Post by partsman »

Hi edoc :D
Thanks for you reply :wink:
I should have been more clear :roll:
Jwm loads faster than say openbox does
so I am saying things like gkrellm, network tray, keyboard daemon etc. :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

edoc

#498 Post by edoc »

OK, got it. :lol:

That's far more granular than I can get :roll: someone smarter on the list will surely reply ...
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

partsman

#499 Post by partsman »

Thanks edoc :wink:
definitely not a big deal ! I just have always like JWM :wink:
Loving LHP very much ! I think me LHP will be spending a lot of time together :D Very awesome ! 8)
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

gcmartin

How to start the system with an alternate desktop manager

#500 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Partman

I am NOT the right guy to address this as I have always used Openbox WM that comes OOTB in LH64. But, to better understand what you share, I ask:
  • Does this occur upon boot up, initially, when say you boot to X, then start "xwin jwm"?
  • or, is it occurring after you set the system to autostart xwin with jvm versus openbox at boot time?Is there any messages showing up on the system consoles after issuing the xwin jvm and then after desktop error you "return to prompt" to see if console shows any errors?
I'm sure there is a way, if you haven't already done so, that JVM can become the default WM for desktop starts done at anytime.

BTW, how are you running your system? Is it Live, frugal, or full?

As you are showing a fondness for LH64, you may want to poke around on this site you will find many other useful steps to match your work habits and help you address need. One of them is as follows:
  1. Open the Mariner ISO and notice where those SFSs are.
  2. You can add or delete as you see fit for your own customized Mariner (by using ISOmaster or GrowISOfs to write directly to DVD.
There are many other little GEMs in what the author has done to make our lives simple and easy on this distro.

Hope this is helpful

partsman

#501 Post by partsman »

Hi guys :D
Stuck at work at the moment but I get time tonight I will provide more info and maybe try to upload a video clip on my google drive so that you can see what I am talking about :wink:
Until then :wink:
Thank you all ttyl :wink:

partsman

#502 Post by partsman »

Thanks gcmartin :D
I been reading through this thread and LHP home page :wink:
Yesterday JWM crashed several times ! Now that i bring it up on the forum I cant seem to duplicate :roll: lol ! Now isint that how it goes :?
Anyway I have found a new love with LHP I have my phone here in case i am able to duplicate i can video it :wink:
Here is box specs:
Brand Acer
Model Aspire 5732Z
MPN 5732Z
Laptop Type Notebook

Power
Battery Run Time Up to 2.5 Hours

Processor
Processor Intel Pentium T4400 (2.2 GHz)
Memory Cache 1024 KB

Memory
Installed Memory 3 GB

Hard Drive
Hard Drive 320 GB

Disk Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD±R Dual Layer/DVD±RW/CD-RW

Display
Display Size 15.6"
Video Card Intel GMA 4500M
I will continue to use and post back if happens again :wink:
Thank you all ! so much :D

8-bit

#503 Post by 8-bit »

rcrsn51 wrote:On what Puppy did you do the burning? With what app?

Do you have any boot discs of other Puppies or Linux distros to try?
I burnt the DVDs from Lupu 520 with both Pburn and Burniso2cd.
Later, I tried booting the same DVD on my Toshiba Satellite that is dual core AMD with 4gigs of ram and it booted fine from it.
But evidently, the Dell desktop PC with 4gigs of ram and an intel dual-core processor does not have enough of a delay in its BIOS boot process to read the DVD as bootable and drops through to the next boot device which in this case is my Grub for Dos menu.
I do not know if adding a selection to menu.lst to boot from the DVD would help and I am unsure of how the selection would be worded in menu.lst.

gcmartin

#504 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @8-bit
8-bit wrote:I burnt the DVDs from Lupu 520 with both Pburn and Burniso2cd.
Later, I tried booting the same DVD on my Toshiba Satellite that is dual core AMD with 4gigs of ram and it booted fine from it.
But evidently, the ...
For understanding, are you saying that you have 2 multi-session DVDs and that each boots on your laptop, but do not boot on either of your desktops?

On your other question, the isolinux.cfg on your DVDs (and the ISO) is the boot manager configuration file. If you need to change or add anything to your ISO, boot your laptop to LH64 and use ISOmaster to manipulate changes of any existing file to a new ISO.

Here to help
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Ted Dog

#505 Post by Ted Dog »

could be a blessing in disguise. by copying the kernel and inird to harddrive and booting witbout any pmedia settings ( leave off ) it should default to multisession since the sfs file would be found on dvd only. Would boot very fast. :D

mikeb

#506 Post by mikeb »

menu.lst would use (cd) to refer to optical...eg (cd)/initrd.gz ... or perhaps find could be used....

Not something I have tried out so no guarantees...

mike

partsman

#507 Post by partsman »

Hello all :D
Well JWM still crashing sometimes on :? I get no errors when this happens :? mostly at boot-up though ! I tried removing start-up sound and disabled gkrellm to see if it made any diff. with no avail :?
I must say I have spent a lot of time with this puppy in the last several days and Its just awesome ! :wink: I have mariner frugal installed on ext4 partition :wink: Wonderful job by tazoc ! and everyone who has helped along the way :wink: I don't know much about tazoc from my understanding he has or is having health problems :? I do wish him all the best !

partsman

#508 Post by partsman »

Just had a question about
LHP I hope someone might help me with :wink:
You guys always help :wink: Thank You by the way ! :wink:
I installed the latest flash and Open JRE petsfrom the update menu so :? Should i unload the previous SFS files ? The updates where in pet form ?
Probability a dumb question but just want to be sure :wink:
I would say yes but had a couple cold ones after work and now i feel a little :?
Sorry hot as hell here today :wink:
Thanks in advance :wink:

gcmartin

#509 Post by gcmartin »

Anyone who has contributions to useful JAVA apps in Puppy Linux please post them here.
partsman wrote:Hello all :D
Just had a question about
LHP I hope someone might help me with :wink:
You guys always help :wink: Thank You by the way ! :wink:
I installed the latest flash and Open JRE petsfrom the update menu so :? Should i unload the previous SFS files ? The updates where in pet form ?
Probability a dumb question but just want to be sure :wink:
I would say yes but had a couple cold ones after work and now i feel a little :?
Sorry hot as hell here today :wink:
Thanks in advance :wink:
Are you running Live with save to DVD or are you running save-sessions on HDD/USB?

If Live, during boot Mariner asks (with a timeout) if you want to continue with the SFS it sees, automatically; or if you want to individually select the SFSs.

On HDD, if you have more than 1 save-session, LH64's boot process will list the sessions and wait for you to select iff there is more than 1 save present.

OK, in any event, have you done a version check of your running system to see which JAVA version is in use?

There are some in the forum who are better positioned to give an answer that is more neatly system library friendly for JAVA, than I.

I'm still waiting for JDK for version 8 with fingers crossed before the worldwide, free, Android class, restarts so that the eClipse IDE and the Android component can be added.

Hope this helps

edoc

#510 Post by edoc »

gcmartin - have you looked at Tizen at all?

Linux-based, Google-free, it's easy to port Android apps, 2,000 Tizen apps already posted & 100% profit to app posters for the first year ... what's not to like?

;-)
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

partsman

#511 Post by partsman »

Hi gcmartin :D
Thanks for the reply :D
I have LHP running frugal install ext4 HDD :wink:
Very impressive ! I must say 8)
Allow me to rephrase :wink:
Are the pets found under LHP Update used "in addition too" or "in place of" the SFS files found in the MARINER ISO ? :?

Example: if a new version of say java is in the LHP update as a pet
well then should i unload the SFS file of java that was on the mariner iso ?
or use both ?

partsman

#512 Post by partsman »

Also wanted to note that KDE desktop will load but when I click the launcher "star" it causes system to lock-up :?
Here is my system specs I have mariner frugal installed on Ext4 hdd.
Processor
Processor Intel Pentium T4400 (2.2 GHz)
Memory Cache 1024 KB

Memory
Installed Memory 3 GB

Hard Drive
Hard Drive 320 GB

Disk Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD±R Dual Layer/DVD±RW/CD-RW

Display
Display Size 15.6"
Video Card Intel GMA 4500M
I should add that I have had KDE Linux on this machine before with no problems !

OK sorry dummy me skipped right over this in the release notes :
Before installing the KDE4 SFS, copy and paste this into a terminal:
rm -f /root/.kde/Autostart/pup_event
KDE is now working fine ! :oops:

zaivala

Increase sr0 filesize

#513 Post by zaivala »

I started up Lighthouse Mariner 602b2 after a long time idle, and it gave me a bunch of updates to make... and before I was halfway done, my sr0 file got full. How do I increase the size of this file? Believe it or not, the Search function in this form is of no help.

OK, apparently stupid me did not recognize that sr0 is the CD/DVD drive. So why is the update trying to write to that? No clue. However... if I recall correctly I'm running an Nvidia system. (need 300 Mb, have 289) I'm told that I am some number of Mb short of what it needs to download the driver. I suppose I can leave it alone since it is working now... But I think my system file needs to be made larger, and can't figure out how to do that. Any help in both understanding and accomplishing this is appreciated.

Edited to add: This is really interesting. The system thought it was writing to sr0, which is a CD. And over half the updates got done!
Last edited by zaivala on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

edoc

#514 Post by edoc »

I believe that you want:

Menu --> Utility --> Archiving Utiliities --> Resize Personal Storage File

HTH ... David
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

Firefox - Is it Safe to Upgrade?

#515 Post by edoc »

I use more than one browser with LH64 & Firefox is one of them.

I'm receiving pop-ups stating it's time to upgrade to 30.0 or something like that.

I seem to recall a warning here a while back against upgrading - is that still so?

If it's now recommended to upgrade is the best method to do so inside Firefox?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]