Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

Odd Save behavior in Firefox

#421 Post by edoc »

The problems with FF & LH64-602b2 seem to be increasing.

I frequently get no error when I try to download a file but when I go to look for it there's nothing there.

I constantly have to manually open the target folder and change the permissions.

Why would there be no error message when a download fails?

(It works OK if I run FF as root but there seems some concern about online activity as root. This is a single-user computer - is there a genuine vulnerability if I run FF in root?)

I'm also observing some odd problems with LibreOffice and PDF files where sometimes the content appears to be unlayered and displaced so as to render the document unreadable.

epdfview will handle the same PDF file without any trouble.

There are some advantages to opening PDF's in LO - if it can be persuaded to play nicely.

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Pete22

LHPx64 no longer seeing savefile

#422 Post by Pete22 »

I wanted to make a new savefile.
I went though all the steps.
It acted like it worked. but it did not.

I thought I made a mistake and tried again. Nope.
So I went out and tried to load my regular safefile,
That didn't work. I tried making 3 more savefiles. NO GO,

What can I do?

Pete

EdD

#423 Post by EdD »

From a new user of LH64 602 B2, This puppy is my favorite ever. I have two 64bit machines, and LH just works right out of the box on both. One machine is a Lenovo thinkcenter, which I just set up. I started it off with Slacko5.6, then ran a couple of Lucids, followed by Fat Slacko 533. None of them assigned the proper driver for the Intel Gigabit ethernet card, though all of them had it among their drivers. LH assigned the correct driver and had the internet connected before i could fill out the first boot setup window.

The look is great, and there are more desktop backgrounds than i've ever seen in a distro. Everything that I've tried works fine. The only thing I want to add is the Pup Advert blocker, since FF offers several ineffective ones that slow page loading a little. LH and Fat Slacko are the best I've tried among the 64 bit versions. I've had such trouble with fat Dog that I think I may have made a bad download, which happens sometimes with my satellite "broadband" connection. With a 525 mb allowance, I'm not able to download the bigger iso's very often.

It's Lighthouse for me. You've done a great job with this one.

gcmartin

Re: LHPx64 no longer seeing savefile

#424 Post by gcmartin »

Pete22 wrote:I wanted to make a new savefile.
I went though all the steps.
It acted like it worked. but it did not.

I thought I made a mistake and tried again. Nope.
So I went out and tried to load my regular safefile,
That didn't work. I tried making 3 more savefiles. NO GO,

What can I do?

Pete
Hi @Pete22

Few questions
  • Can you bring us up to speed where you are with your LH64?
  • Which version are you using (601/602 & Basic/Mariner)?
  • Are you running directly from your DVD, and saving back to it? (If not, explain your setup and what's happening when you shutdown and the system ask 'where to save your session' by letting us know what you answered.)
We'll try to help you along.

EdD

Re: Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

#425 Post by EdD »

TaZoC, Thanks for the work, this is a great distro. Checking out your home site now, which is linked in the Linux drop down on the LH Firefox. The O/S gets better with use, as I'm now discovering.

I'll watch for another update thread, which, I hope doesn't become a 29 page help thread for one user as this one has.

Pete22

Lighthouse Pup and savefile

#426 Post by Pete22 »

gcmartin: Thanks for asking.

I have been trying to start lhp every couple of days to see if it would see the savefile.

Well today it SAW it!!!! :D

I am afraid to turn it off now. :(

I would like to understand what was/is happening.

I see from your questions, that I did not give enough information. This was a frugal
install to a hard drive as per the great directions of ToZac. I had been using LHP 6.01 for a while.
However, I think just before this started, I updated from 6.01 to 6.02 Mariner

I have a folder called LHP_64 under mnt/home. My savefile is called my_settings. so its full path is
/mnt/home/lhp_64/L64save-my_settings.4fs
My hard drive is set to ext4 and so is the savefile. I saved it as 4G.

Since I got in, I verified the mariner file. Several of the files failed, so I reloaded them.
I thought I had reloaded them when it would not see the file. Maybe it did not write them all correctly.

EdD: LHP is the BMW version of puppy. :D

Pete

EdD

#427 Post by EdD »

Pete, yes, the BMW of Puppy, indeed, or maybe even the Bentley of Puppy. :-)

I did a frugal install of LH 64 602 Beta 2 on a Lenovo yesterday and immediately started having the same issue as you're having with the save file. I took my time, looking it over, rebooting several times, then noticed the problem. I had done a frugal install on an empty partition. The save file was in that partition with the installed files. I had rebooted into another version of Puppy on CD to make another install, and when I did rerun Grub4Dos, I just let it reinstall and detect the latest installed versions.

Somehow, it had titled an earlier session which I had started in safe mode to see how it was selecting the graphics driver, and that session was booting up without looking for the save file. I edited G4D and found the proper session entry in the old menu lst and reinserted it into the current menu lst file.. No more trouble.

On another note, if I have somehow created more than one save file, the startup will ask which one I want to use. I do like this distro. It's really well done.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

gcmartin

Help needed on problem of frugal system finding the savefile

#428 Post by gcmartin »

This is a quick note as I am tied up for the next week(s) and will have little time to review, BUT, please verify, the following, if you can.

I seem to remember somewhere that FD600+ (which is a base for LH64 builds) claimed that if the savefile was more than 3 levels deep, it would NOT be found unless you instructed the boot-time parm to search more levels deeper OR you provided an exact path.

I noticed that the savefile path you show is more than 3 levels. If I'm right, this can be easily rectified such that it makes easy for LH64 to locate and boot the system as needed.

Again, without actually looking at the different sources of information about FD6xx or LH64-6xx on this matter, I wont be much help. I know that my time on the PLDF will be limited severely for the next few days.

ALSO @Pete22
You are right to have a concern about whether, after you shutdown, if the reboot will find the savefile on boot. Some of this is all about timings (or more appropriate, "timeouts") that occur at boot-time as the system is interrogating its connected devices for the information its looking for in order to proper follow your boot needs. In your case, this sound like there may be some issue in your system's devices timing...possibly (I may be way off on this, though). But, if this IS THE CASE, again, I seem to remember that there are couple of other boot-time parm, which directly affect how long the system waits when "addressing" the peripheral for return of its information. Thus, these 2 options, again, are boot telling where the savefile is or boot telling how long to wait before timeout occurs.

@EdD, this may apply, as well, to your savefile placement.

Anyone else care to provide ideas on clarifying savefile placement for frugal installs.

A TEST that you can easily employ
A simple test: copy your savefile to the root (you'll need to do a RAM boot OR a DVD boot, first, to do this because under "normal with savefile boot system" your savefile is in use by the booted system. So booting without the savefile means that you can copy the savefile from a subdirectory to a higher directory with integrity of the copy operation to provide a "sane" savefile for system use. Should you do this and at boot-time, LH64 presents BOTH savefiles for your selection, this could be an indications of the timing problem I reference.

Please report back to us which of these actually addressed the issue of your system booting.

Hope this helps

EdD

#429 Post by EdD »

Good call, gcmartin. I hadn't thought of that. My save file was saved by default during the install. any subsequent save files would end up where I put them, which might be anywhere.
Dell optiplex 780, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4g RAM, w/ATI RV620 LE Radeon HD 3450. Currently running a full install of Slacko 6.3.0 ( 32 bit version).

don570

#430 Post by don570 »

Could someone check if my 64 bit mtpaint version works?
It was compiled in fatdog630 and the package was put together
in precise.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81136

edoc

#431 Post by edoc »

For some reason I cannot download from that site.

I get pop-up boxes for commercials but not your PET.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

don570

#432 Post by don570 »

The link worked for me by un-ticking the download manager first.
Then download file.

edoc

#433 Post by edoc »

It would not download via Seamonkey but did via Firefox.

There was an PET install pop-up asking about a Right-Click Menu item - which I allowed.

There is a new entry in the pop-up menu when I right-click on a .jpg but it does not work & now the default mtpaint link doesn't work either.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#434 Post by edoc »

What is the best way to UN-install a PET in LH64?

I need to get mtpaint working again.

When I open Puppy Package Manager I don't see a listing of loaded PET's from which to select one to UN-install.

Is this the preferred tool?

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/UnPet

OR ??

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

gcmartin

#435 Post by gcmartin »

Has anyone else seen this problem where LH64 has an oscillating LAN service?

Can someone offer help or advice? (I seem to remember this oscillating problem with Precise awhile back but have not seen it with LH. I only remember that I abandoned that version on that laptop, year or 2 ago.)

don570

#436 Post by don570 »

delete /usr/bin/mtpaint

rebooting should return old mtpaint (I think??)

edoc

#437 Post by edoc »

don570 wrote:delete /usr/bin/mtpaint

rebooting should return old mtpaint (I think??)

Using GIMP for simple editing is a real nuisance.

I thought it used to be that one only needed to click on an installed PET and it would uninstall but I get an install message rather than an uninstall message when I try that with yours.

WDYT?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

wjaguar

#438 Post by wjaguar »

edoc wrote:any other ideas as to how I might restore mtpaint, please?
Extract the original binary from the distro, and copy it to /usr/bin
That is, mount the ISO, unpack with unsquashfs the SFS contained within, and there under squashfs-root/usr/bin you'll find the original mtpaint binary.

BTW, the cause of problem is a version conflict with libtiff: Fatdog 630 provides libtiff.so.5, and mtPaint compiled in there gets to require it - while Lighthouse is still stuck with libtiff.so.3
(Which you could have found out for yourself, if you ran "ldd mtpaint")

edoc

#439 Post by edoc »

wjaguar wrote:
edoc wrote:any other ideas as to how I might restore mtpaint, please?
Extract the original binary from the distro, and copy it to /usr/bin
That is, mount the ISO, unpack with unsquashfs the SFS contained within, and there under squashfs-root/usr/bin you'll find the original mtpaint binary.

BTW, the cause of problem is a version conflict with libtiff: Fatdog 630 provides libtiff.so.5, and mtPaint compiled in there gets to require it - while Lighthouse is still stuck with libtiff.so.3
(Which you could have found out for yourself, if you ran "ldd mtpaint")
Thanks!

"ldd mpaint" ... hmmm ... I am unfamiliar with "ldd" will have to explore that some.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

don570

#440 Post by don570 »

You should learn to make a link.

First you change directories

Code: Select all

cd  /usr/lib

Then you make the link

Code: Select all

ln -s libtiff.so.3 libtiff.so.5
Note that the old library comes first and the new link that is created comes last.