Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tazoc

Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

#1 Post by tazoc »

Lighthouse 64 6.02 B2 release notes | ISOs | SFS add-ons | What is an SFS? | LH64 FAQ

Before installing the KDE4 SFS, copy and paste this into a terminal:

Code: Select all

rm -f /root/.kde/Autostart/pup_event
Please refer to latest release notes for news, features, bugs, etc. To eliminate the startup 'waves' sound, click the File System icon --> Startup. Then drag-n-drop the login-audio icon into the nearby DisabledItems folder, selecting Move when prompted.

Screenshots are welcome, but please re-size or crop the image down to within 650 pixels in width with GIMP or similar image editor, and wrap descriptions to keep these forum pages from scrolling horizontally. Or link to the full-size image URL. I'd be happy to upload the image and send you the URL if desired.

This is because I need to scroll left and right when reading each line of text, with the content zoomed just large enough for my vision. It also affects readability for visitors using tablets and devices with small displays. Thank you!

A frugal install is recommended, (with a new save file due to the new kernel.) Choose 'Lighthouse64 without save file' at the LiveCD boot menu, then at shutdown you'll be able to save your session to a new save file.

Getting Started and System Requirements | Display drivers in LH64

To run Firefox as root, click Menu -> Setup -> Choose Default Browser -> Firefox (root). However I don't recommend doing so. Much safer to just run FF as default user spot, saving to the Downloads folder; then click on the Downloads desktop icon and move files elsewhere as needed. To update Firefox, use Firefox Update Help in the Internet Menu.

With large downloads, it is best to use wget in a terminal, or click Menu -> Internet -> Pwget downloader and copy and paste in the URL.

-TaZoC
Last edited by tazoc on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 02:20, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

Q5sys

#2 Post by Q5sys »

I cant wait to test it out!

Are any of the SFS packages from 601 the same in the 602 directory? I dont want to eat your bandwidth downloading new SFS files if there has been no change.

Sylvander

#3 Post by Sylvander »

1. As-per-usual...
This lighthouse version looks good/slick/quality, and I'd like to make this my number-1->[presently Precise-5.6.1] or number-2, BUT...

a. It seems it won't be possible to install applications that are important to me.
e.g. "SaveMyModem"=smm [or some alternative similar to Mailwasher], Xfe.
And...

b. Would it be possible to edit the ISO to change to pmedia=ataflash, so that a pupsave on an internal HDD is treated as though on a Flash Drive?
I normally do this so as to be able to choose whether/when "to save or not to save" during the session and at shutdown/reboot.
I'd try this if "a" above were possible.

c. There's no point in me tweaking further [proceeding to perfect] unless I know I can do all the usual things to suit this to my needs.
Right now its number-7 in my stack of 7 Puppy CD's. :(

gcmartin

Multiple language support in LightHouse64 Mariner

#4 Post by gcmartin »

LightHouse64 "Mariner" users who also use Chrome may find this of interest ===> Multiple Language Assistance

Also note that Mariner also provides NLS OOTB at boot

Here to help

Marv

#5 Post by Marv »

Flawless install to Fujitsu s6520 lifebook (Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb mem, i915 video, i5300 wireless, true synaptics touchpad).
Added to existing Grub4Dos installations on a SATA SSD. initrd.gz changed to initrd.xz in menu.lst and pfix=copy as usual and up it comes in pupmode 13.
Sound, video using intel driver, wireless connection using WEP key and older ipv4 router, synaptics touchpad and flsynclient, internal sd card reader all working well. Webcam not tested yet.
What really makes this unique is the SpaceFM/openbox combination in a 64bitter with up-to-date libraries. Set SpaceFM as the default filemanager and it really is! SpaceFM graciously accepted my plugins from alphaOS. It's incredibly flexible with less overhead than thunar and well worth the learning curve.
Installed Opera from the Salix repo with no problems, imported bookmarks, mail settings and Dapper skin from the shared 32bit opera on the laptop and am happily posting from that.
Tint2 and Conky both tested and working installed from the repo. May (or may not) switch to a tint2 panel in the longer run. Lxpanel works well, I'm just faster at editing the tint2.rc directly to make little changes.

Good balance of dafault applications. Sorry I can't find any fleas on this pup :?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

edoc

#6 Post by edoc »

I'm not sure I understand all of this.

I plan to install on a HP Pavilion g7 laptop on which we replaced the MS version of windows #8 with their #7, is that OK?

Cool re. Frugal install!

Thanks!

David
Experimental UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) support, (not Secure Boot, though) with isohybrid ISO, new simple graphical boot menu on the ISO image, based on Fatdog64's (thanks to Jamesbond and Kirk.) According to the Fatdog64 FAQ, "All Windows 8 computers come with secure boot enabled by default. Secure boot can be disabled if you like in UEFI setup, and Windows will still boot normally."

Universal Installer and Remaster LiveCD updated with experimental UEFI, graphical boot menu support

Improved compression of main file for smaller remaster.

Kernel modules inside initrd.xz.

Bugfix: Wine was misconfigured in remaster.

Universal Installer updates
Bootable UEFI Flash drive builder
UEFI (Windows 8) hard drive dual-boot installation guide with rEFInd (based on Fatdog64 621)
Partition selection dialog scrollable if numerous partitions.
Improved detection of existing installs.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

TsZoC, et. al.

The same touch capabilities that were working on LH64 are also continuing to work on my HP Touch tablet-laptop. Very nice for desktop navigation and window uses.

This is really a treat for a Linux system on this platform replacing MS.

As an earlier member shared...."no fleas" thus far.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 30 Jun 2013, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.

edoc

#8 Post by edoc »

How do I load with a modifier, please?

The usual prompt for puppy fix=ram pfix=xorgwizard or similar is not present.

I need to force it to boot with a generic VGA driver as the display is unusable by default.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

edoc wrote:How do I load with a modifier, please?

I need to force it to boot with a generic VGA driver as the display is unusable by default.
Hi @Edoc

This may work for you. On the initial boot screen there is an option to boot to a prompt. Once there, you may want to type

xorgwizard
where you can select Vesa or a driver of your choice.

I've not done it, but, seem to remember reading somewhere in either FATDOG/LH64 to do this.

Hope this helps

gcmartin

#10 Post by gcmartin »

Not a bug, but may be good for a review the "Update" desktop utility:
  1. "Update" in MARINER does NOT show Thunderbird as installed when, in fact, it was selected at boot-time.
  2. Also the Thunderbird version showing in Update is not the current one loaded by Mariner at boot-time
  3. Is the "Get LibreOfiice" PET there to update the installed Libreoffice in the future?
  4. And, should the "Nvidia GLX" driver have a note (in parenthesis) that the DEVX is needed?
Here to help

Q5sys

#11 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:[*]And, should the "Nvidia GLX" driver have a note (in parenthesis) that the DEVX is needed?[/list]Here to help
Unless TazOC changed something the Driver SFS does not need the Devx. Only the 'get nvidia' script needs the devx since its doing the compiling. If someone is just downloading and installing the driver as pre-compiled, they dont need the devx loaded on their system.

edoc

#12 Post by edoc »

gcmartin wrote:
edoc wrote:How do I load with a modifier, please?

Hi @Edoc

This may work for you. On the initial boot screen there is an option to boot to a prompt. Once there, you may want to type

xorgwizard
where you can select Vesa or a driver of your choice.

I've not done it, but, seem to remember reading somewhere in either FATDOG/LH64 to do this.

Hope this helps
If you are referring to the EFI Shell that does not recognize "xorgwizard", but it does recognize "exit". :-)

I did find this list of commands for the EFI Shell:
http://www.sysadminshare.com/2012/01/ef ... mands.html[/url]
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

I wrote:And, should the "Nvidia GLX" driver have a note (in parenthesis) that the DEVX is needed?
because of the screen-shot below. The PC's video card is a GLX250 breed. This occurs on desktop restarts.

Hope that yield light.
Attachments
desktop start message after UPDATEs nVidia PET installation.png
desktop start message after UPDATEs nVidia PET installation
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 10824 times

Q5sys

#14 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:
I wrote:And, should the "Nvidia GLX" driver have a note (in parenthesis) that the DEVX is needed?
because of the screen-shot below. The PC's video card is a GLX250 breed. This occurs on desktop restarts.

Hope that yield light.
Seriously. Do we have to go through this every single freaking time?

Look at the driver that's in the LHP update utility. "Nvidia-glx-319.23-k3.8.7-L64-1.sfs"
Now go look at the supported cards for the Nvidia GLX 319.23 driver
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

A keen observer will notice that the GTX250 Card is not supported.

This is why you, and anyone else will get a message saying the module is not found for the kernel, because its not included in the driver package.

If a driver does not support a piece of hardware, the driver will... wait for it... not work with that piece of hardware.

For anyone who has a card that is NOT supported by the Nvidia Proprietary drivers, you will have to use the Nouveau drivers. I'm sorry, but there is nothing that we can do to help you with this. We have to wait on Nvidia to support that card on Linux.

I'm sorry for getting a bit frustrated about this, but this is like the 3rd or 4th time now that you've reported graphics card problems with LHP and the driver because you've been installing a non compatible video driver.

edoc

#15 Post by edoc »

NOTE1: "Insert or F2 for more options" does not work on my laptop.

NOTE2: There is no option for "Wizard" at the LH Menu.

The only options are:
Start EFI Shell
Start MOK Utility
About rEFInd
Shut Down Computer
Reboot Computer
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

tlchost

Pidgin Logs

#16 Post by tlchost »

I normally move .purple out of /root to /mnt/home and use a symlink to keep it out of the save file anmd share it between various puppies.

LHP has it in /root/spot and moving it to /mnt/home and using a symlink will not allow log files to be written.

Is there a work around?

Thanks

Q5sys

Re: Pidgin Logs

#17 Post by Q5sys »

tlchost wrote:I normally move .purple out of /root to /mnt/home and use a symlink to keep it out of the save file anmd share it between various puppies.

LHP has it in /root/spot and moving it to /mnt/home and using a symlink will not allow log files to be written.

Is there a work around?

Thanks
You might have to move just the /spot/ directory alone and symlink it.
I know with 601 and older versions I've been able to symlink folders in /root/.config/ out to other places without problems.
I know with 601 and older, TazOC has also had an option in place to allow a user to have installed programs placed outside the save file in /mnt/home. There might be something there that would explain why that works. I've never personally tested that though, so I cant speak for how it works.

Billtoo

Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4

#18 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Lighthouse64 602 with the universal installer.
I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver for the card in this pc.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 30 Jun 2013 on Lighthouse64 602 Linux 3.8.7 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller:nVidiaCorporationGF108[GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Core 0: @800 1: @800 2: @800 3: @800 4: @800 5: @800 MHz

The wireless setup with the network wizard, I installed vlc-2.0.6,PupSnap,
and the newest flash plugin with the Update icon on the desktop.

It's working well so far, looks real nice.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(33.06 KiB) Downloaded 1061 times

edoc

#19 Post by edoc »

OK, y'all strategically-ignored me long enough so that I fumbled my way to the right Menu and figured out the right (don't use Radeon driver) modifier.

Now I have to figure out in Personalize Settings z.1.8.4-L64 what to do about the driver.

The Vesa it used by default looks fine to me but I am guessing may cause problems in certain apps?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Q5sys

#20 Post by Q5sys »

edoc wrote:OK, y'all strategically-ignored me long enough so that I fumbled my way to the right Menu and figured out the right (don't use Radeon driver) modifier.

Now I have to figure out in Personalize Settings z.1.8.4-L64 what to do about the driver.

The Vesa it used by default looks fine to me but I am guessing may cause problems in certain apps?
lol. I havent pulled down the new ISO yet, so i havent had time to mess around with the UEFI stuff yet.
So you did get your system up and running?