Volume and brightness keys not working

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
brado97

Volume and brightness keys not working

#1 Post by brado97 »

Hi all,

So I decided to jump over from Windows 8 to Precise 5.7.1 so I waned to test it out before I delete Windows. So I burn Precise to a CD and fire it up. My wireless worked great. But as usual with most distros I've tried my brightness keys don't work. But strangely enough on Precise my volume keys don't work either.

I am using Intel HD graphics and the laptop I am using is a Gateway NE56R09h.

I would love to use Precise as my main and only OS but I cannot if I am unable to control my brightness or sound. I always have my brightness on the lowest it can go.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am sort of a Linux n00b, but I love how fast Puppy Linux is and hated Windows 8 ever since I got my laptop and always wanted to jump ships to Linux and learn all about it.

I was inspired to try Puppy Linux by PuppyLinuxWorld on YouTube.

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

It depends on the kernel (drivers) version if things work or not .

If that machine is new then wait for next kernel .

Otherwise it does not harm to try a Slacko kernel 2.6.37.6 or even older Puppy kernels .

Pemasus builds are also not too bad : Dpup Exprimo 5.X.15 http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70399

Then there are Racy with 3.0.x kernel and Wary with 2.6.32.x kernel .

brado97

#3 Post by brado97 »

Thank you!

Yes, this is a newer machine, it is from 2012. im not sure if it has anything to do with me having a Intel card instead of a ATI or Nvidia.

I just tried upup raring 3.9 and it asked me to save the Intel driver to hardrive and restart again. So then I booted it back up and my sound keys worked but brightness is still not working.