[SOLVED] Can't figure out how to do a savefile on Fatdog64

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jjramsey

#16 Post by jjramsey »

nooby, judging from my experience so far, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work.

So far, I seem to have had two unrelated problems that combined to confuse me:
  • The Mac uses EFT only, not the BIOS that one would find on a normal Intel PC. This seems to be why Grub4Dos and the Fatdog64 installer don't appear to work right for me. They create a USB stick that would be bootable on a PC that has a legacy BIOS. Creating a Fatdog64 USB stick via "dd" gets around that particular problem, but the catch is that I can't, for example, make permanent modifications to the boot arguments, since the config file for the boot menu is on an iso9660 partition. Instead, when booting, I have to press 'e' and then append "savefile=direct:device:sdb3" to the "linux/vmlinuz" line at each boot.
  • The loading of the savefile from the sdb3 partition of the USB stick wasn't working quite right. I seemed to be able to work around this, though, by adding "waitdev=10" before the "savefile=..." argument. [ETA: Actually, adding "waitdev=10" was enough to allow Fatdog64 to find the savefile.]

Snail

Savefile USB documentation

#17 Post by Snail »

Hi,

I have just downloaded Fatdog for the first time. Like jjramsey, I used the dd process to create a bootable USB. I gave up on trying to get a savefile onto the USB. Bailing out in mid-shutdown corrupted the USB and I had to go back to the start. I have now installed onto the Windows 7 main NTFS partition.

I had neither a Linux OS nor an optical drive on this laptop. This the norm now days, I haven't used or even seen a data CD or DVD for years. Why then is all the readily accessible documentation on installation so CD oriented? I had to scratch around to find the dd trick and the saving after first boot gives you no opportunity to fix the USB once shutdown is started. Not user friendly.

I'm having a few problems getting everything to work ATM. But the speed the speed!

Peter

nooby

#18 Post by nooby »

jjramsey cool that you finally got it to work.
So to put in wait cycles can be that important.
Good to know.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though