Neat way to boot Puppy --- from .iso using Grub

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
rarsa

Re: Separate data & installs from pup_save.3fs (201r2 HD

#16 Post by rarsa »

jaxpilot wrote:Can you explain in detail to a real newbie how to accomplish this? I have the 3 main puppy 201r2 files on hda4, and I want everything else to install somewhere else.
For applications:
- Dotpups and pupgets always install to the pupsave file.
- Other applications such as open office or Java, you must extract the application files to a folder outside the pupsave file.
- For data it is as easy as saving to the right folder when you are prompted where to save the file.

To make a partition accessible to the users you must mount it. I prefer having it mounted under /root for this you just have to:

1. Create a folder where to mount the partition

Code: Select all

mkdir /root/data
2. Mount the partition to that folder

Code: Select all

mount /dev/hda4 /root/data
That's it, you have access to the /dev/hda4 data by browsing that folder.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Weeble

Does This Work From Puppy 1.x Too?

#17 Post by Weeble »

I'm presently using Puppy 1.08r, and it would be nice not to have to throw in my Puppy LiveCD every time I want to boot from Puppy. Does this work for Puppy 1.x also? If so, what differences would there be in setting up Puppy 1.x to load from a FAT32 partition? Details and examples, please--I'm still getting the hang of a lot of this. Thanks!
I'm "Weeble" from Groklaw. Hi, y'all!

sunburnt

#18 Post by sunburnt »

Hi Weeble; I use Puppy 1.0.x from a fat32 partition, the simple way is to DOS sys the drive & use autoexec.bat to start it.
SysLinux is also a good way to boot it, & many use the Grub boot loader.

For my setup I press F8 when booting to get the Win98 boot menu, I select DOS prompt & type pup (for pup.bat).
This allows Win98 to boot if I don't press F8 while booting... works nice.
THe 3 main Puppy files are: vmlinuz, image.gz, usr_cram.fs

Here's the dir. of: C:\Puppy
image.gz ------ Puppy file
linld.com ------ DOS loader to start Linux
options.lin ----- linld.com boot options file
puppy.bat ----- Run file called from pup.bat
vmlinuz -------- Puppy kernel

The file: usr_cram.fs goes in: C:\ ( C:\usr_cram.fs )

Here's the startup file: C:\pup.bat
C:
cd \Puppy
puppy.bat

Here's the run file: C:\Puppy\puppy.bat
linld.com image=vmlinuz initrd=image.gz cl=@options.lin

Here's the linld.com options file: C:\Puppy\options.lin
root=/dev/ram0
ramdisk_size=16384 #-------------- This may need to be changed for different Puppy versions.
PHOME=hda1 #----------------------- This is the /mnt/home drive, change if needed.
PFILE=pup001-none-262144

Puppy will make the HOME "save file": /mnt/home/pup001 ( C:\pup001 ).
The drive set by PHOME=hda1 is mounted at /mnt/home, hda1 is C: (usually, but not always).

This is called a "frugal install", it's not a full HD install, it's like useing the CD, the 3 main files are stable.
If you want to boot straight to Puppy put the contense of the C:\pup.bat file in: C:\autoexec.bat

If you have any other Qs, just ask...

pg99

#19 Post by pg99 »

I use this method too on a FAT drive which I share Puppy 109CE with Win98. Only difference is I use grub not loadlin. The grub.exe and menu.lst are take straight from the puppy win 98
http://www.psyplan.com/puppy.htm

actually if you're just starting a "frugal install" then you really should check out the instructions on that psyplan page - its a really simple way to get going and it works! I did that and then just updated the Puppy directory with the image.gz and vmlinuz from 109CE (I believe PupWin98 uses 1.07)

Then later when puppy was getting more use and Win98 less, I found it annoying to have toi boot into Win98 first just to run puppy. The main hurdle I found to getting it to boot straight into puppy was to stop Windows booting into the GUI! I found a tip in the wiki puppylinux.org/wikka/InstallingPuppyInMsdos (another great article) which is to edit the file c:\msdos.sys and change the line BootGUI=1 to ...=0. then windows just boots to the dos prompt. The its easy to just call the puppy.bat from the end of autoexec.bat.

Note that all of this is can be done without having to create any new partitions or mess with your hard disk in any way...

hth
Phil

pg99

#20 Post by pg99 »

think I missed one - :oops: if you want to use PupWin98 method + upgraded then I think you need usr_cam.fs from later version too, as well as image.gz and vmlinuz. Perhaps an expert can confirm (I am too easily confused...don't want to leave you with some strange mutant hybrid puppy)

rgds
Phil

sunburnt

#21 Post by sunburnt »

Messing with: c:\msdos.sys isn't nessesary, any last command in autoexec.bat will be run.
If the last command is: command.com then DOS will start, if there's no command to execute then WinBlows starts.

toddyjoe

#22 Post by toddyjoe »

I dual-boot Windows 98 SE and Puppy 1.0.8r1 using the GRUB method on an old IBM Thinkpad laptop. If you search this forum, you will find a detailed, step-by-step explanation of how I set up my "autoexec.bat" file to boot Puppy with GRUB from a single FAT32 partition without needing the Live CD. Search for a lengthy thread involving myself and members by the name of "pelokwin" and "Sit Heel Speak" installing Puppy on an old IBM laptop.

ZeNiTRaM

#23 Post by ZeNiTRaM »

BTW - the fromiso= cheatcode does nothing on Puppy.. it's only a Kanotix specific one, so you can remove both the command and the ISO..

kleung21

Awesome - thanks

#24 Post by kleung21 »

Hi there,

I'm new to linux and this thread was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I want a system that boots quickly from the hard drive but is forgiving (fresh install equivalent on reboot).

I needed the information from this thread to get my puppy running in iso form.

Thanks

Kevin

willhunt

puppy 216 and fromiso

#25 Post by willhunt »

I've used this for several puppy versions but when I try it for 2.16 it is
unable to find puppy on pmedia idehd and dumped me to
linux guru prompt(dat ain't me)

I have all the files from the iso extracted right and I also extracted
them to a usb stick when I tried export PMEDIA=usbhd and then init it
said still no media on usbhd what have I done wrong?

I really like this and would like to have it working again